Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 4, 2024, 6:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion'
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion'
(December 9, 2008 at 8:04 am)Evil Si Wrote: I've just come to this forum, hoping for a refuge away from people like Mr Psalm and their tiresome opinions. Can't there just be a forum for atheists in which the argument against religion has already been won? I have never witnessed an argument with a fanatic that has ended in their conversion and I'm fed up with them infiltrating scientific forums and forcing us to address their delusions on an equal footing to science.

Bit without theists, there's no debate.
If this forum would be full of atheists, I wouldn't be a member anymore. Tongue

Theists can be a real pain in the ass, but they're needed!
No day = no night.
no theists = no atheists. Wink

Welcome to the forum!
dog·ma
n. pl. dog·mas or dog·ma·ta (-mə-tə)
1. A doctrine or a corpus of doctrines relating to matters such as morality and faith, set forth in an authoritative manner by a church.
Although since we're all born atheists, perhaps atheists are the light and they get dimmed into being a theist?Tongue
I guess its like how the sun is always there whether its night or covered by the clouds or not.
(December 9, 2008 at 9:59 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Although since we're all born atheists, perhaps atheists are the light and they get dimmed into being a theist?Tongue
I guess its like how the sun is always there whether its night or covered by the clouds or not.

You've got a point there...
But (fortunately) we don't eject huge flames from our bodies and we're not friggin' hot...Like the sun. Smile
dog·ma
1. A doctrine or a corpus of doctrines relating to matters such as morality and faith, set forth in an authoritative manner by a church.
Yeah lolTongue
Metaphor of courseWink
(December 9, 2008 at 10:06 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Yeah lolTongue
Metaphor of courseWink

You know...I've never understood the real meaning of a metaphor...
My English teacher says it's this, my Dutch teacher says it's that, my last year Dutch teacher told me an other thing...
And in my two English dictionaries, it has two different meanings...
Could anyone please, finally help me out out my misery and tell me EXACTLY what a metaphor is?
dog·ma
One example (I think) is like saying "we are snowflakes" because we're all different like snowflakes are. Although we're very different from snowflakes. If however you "we are like snowflakes." I'm not sure if that counts.*
The free dictionary defines it as 1. A figure of speech in which a word or phrase that ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, thus making an implicit comparison, as in "a sea of troubles" or "All the world's a stage" Shakespeare.
2. One thing conceived as representing another; a symbol: "Hollywood has always been an irresistible, prefabricated metaphor for the crass, the materialistic, the shallow, and the craven" Neal Gabler.
Oh, that's NOT what my teachers told me it is. Tongue
But..Then again...My teachers are morons...
Thanks, EvidenceVsFaith!
dog·ma
The key difference between a metaphor and a simile is that a simile compares something to something else (He was like a giant) whereas a metaphor is a direct statement (He was a giant of a man).

Metaphors aren't literally true though, just an elegant way of saying something.

"His eyes were black pools of oil"
"He was the king of his office"

etc.
(December 9, 2008 at 10:34 am)Tiberius Wrote: The key difference between a metaphor and a simile is that a simile compares something to something else (He was like a giant) whereas a metaphor is a direct statement (He was a giant of a man).

Metaphors aren't literally true though, just an elegant way of saying something.

"His eyes were black pools of oil"
"He was the king of his office"

etc.

So, it's like...
Her lips were bloodred.
Or
He was God in that area.
?

Okay, I understand now.
Thanks. Smile
dog·ma
(December 9, 2008 at 9:59 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Although since we're all born atheists, perhaps atheists are the light and they get dimmed into being a theist?
How are we born atheist? Atheism means; "The denial or disbelief of Gods, and or gods or godesses."

1.) When exactly does an infant baby deny God?
2.) When does an infant baby disbelieve in God?
3.) If an infant baby is not aware of God, how can it disbelieve?

If we are born atheist, how did the very first living human know how to pronounce the word, "God?" You are suggesting the mind is not aware of God, but Science has confirmed, we have the "God-idea" implanted in our brain? Is this correct?

So, how did it get there, and who put it there? Did it get there by chaotic accident? As so many atheists claim that's how life started.

God is always there. It's not until we reach a certain age that we understand him.

We are taught about God's existence, but that doesn't mean we have to believe in him. So, the "kids are forced to believe" arguement is nonsense! If God's existence is taught to our children, then who taught the very first living people about God? God himself? Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the atheist delusion(who started it or that notion?) Quill01 2 599 July 25, 2022 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Sister asked me to be 'God father' to her son Tomatoshadow2 60 4413 January 24, 2021 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5936 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Ok Atheists! I have God Delusion! Catholic_Lady 54 10486 April 14, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  My dad is proud of a lie Der/die AtheistIn 17 3643 February 19, 2018 at 2:16 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Thought on this video about "Atheist delusion"? Macoleco 3 1351 October 30, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  God can come 2nd to my son..... maestroanth 6 1439 January 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Joods
  The Atheist Delusion Foxaèr 25 4580 October 18, 2016 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  So, my son attends school at the church Easy Guns 44 9316 January 11, 2016 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Religion is a Delusion/Mental Illness z7z 80 15674 May 27, 2015 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: snookerman