Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 9:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do atheists say when someone sneezes?
What do atheists say when someone sneezes?
(March 11, 2014 at 12:55 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: I don't say anything when people sneeze. I have been called out on it by a few people who thought I was rude for not saying "bless you". They don't seem interested in pursuing the topic once they're told about the superstition behind the custom.

Blessed to keep demons from entering the nose and mouth after a sneeze? Yeah, it's a stupid superstition.

I wouldn't say "bless you" for years after learning that, but it's a custom. Most people have no idea why it exists, and don't really associate God with it.
RE: What do atheists say when someone sneezes?
Nothing. And I love it when people get offended and ask why I didn't say "Bless you." Maybe because you're the one that should apologize for causing the disturbance, not me.
I say bless you but it's more of a cultural habit than anything else
My wife has sneezing fits that usually run into double-digits. I usually sit there until she stops and then say "you're scaring the dogs."
(March 11, 2014 at 1:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote: My wife has sneezing fits that usually run into double-digits. I usually sit there until she stops and then say "you're scaring the dogs."

Or say... r u done yet?
How about.

"you seem to be suffering some sort of allergic reaction or rhinovirus. I hope that your immune system is sufficiently well evolved and working well enough to be able to fight any infection you may have. Now get that shit out of my face, leper""

Or is" hope" a bit woolly Thinking
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Nothing.

Why should an expulsion of air from your nose and mouth caused by a nasal irritation warrant acknowledgement by others when no such similar acknowledgement is given for coughing, and farting is generally so embarrassing its ignored by everyone unless it's particularly foul-smelling and lingers? (In which case farting generally induces immature giggles and lewd remarks.)
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
I say Gesundheit! But then, I'm german, so I'm expected to say that and thus avoid this bit of every day atheistic awkwardness...
"I hope you're going to clean that up?"

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
gazunheit.. or however you spell it.. might be german the way i spelt it
I hate the bible. I love that do as thy whilst stuff.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1921 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1772 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2850 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Hilarious argument from someone I encountered in the youtube comments Heat 19 5152 April 23, 2020 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  (Sensitivity required) Coming out to someone SlowCalculations 12 2006 October 27, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 12995 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2359 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  New atheist here, gotta say, not loving it Rayden_Greywolf 166 27070 November 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Can someone debunk this FPerson 162 36563 November 12, 2017 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious downbeatplumb 9 3012 September 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris