Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 12:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The crucifixion of jesus and why it doesn't matter
RE: The crucifixion of jesus and why it doesn't matter
(January 28, 2015 at 9:13 pm)Tonus Wrote:
(January 28, 2015 at 9:11 pm)YGninja Wrote: Well, its quite simple really. The punishment for sin is death, you should, by rights, die. But God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son so that he who may believe shall have eternal life. You will be held accountable for your sins, “If you love me, you will keep my commandments".
Wouldn't it have been a lot simpler to just say "behave and I'll reward you" without the whole convoluted part where he simulates killing himself in order to present himself with a check to himself on behalf of everyone else?

It might have been simpler, but may not have achieved the ends God intended. Suffering himself, as man, knowing mans suffering, knowing mans tribulations, makes him a person who we can accept to judge us. Being forgiven teaches us to forgive. To be sinless and yet die a sinners death for those you love, teaches us of Gods nature, and inspires us.
Actually if he never sinned, he never felt the kind of things Humans feel. The only way we're forgiven is if we dedicate our lives to him, so does he expect us to only forgive people who dedicate their lives to us? Oh, we have a good idea of Yahweh's nature. Narcissistic and violent. Jesus' teachings were a small step in the right direction, but he still fumbles the ball in some ways and is only somewhat more progressive for his time.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(January 28, 2015 at 9:30 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Actually if he never sinned, he never felt the kind of things Humans feel. The only way we're forgiven is if we dedicate our lives to him, so does he expect us to only forgive people who dedicate their lives to us? Oh, we hae a good idea of Yahweh's nature. Narcissistic and violent. Jesus' teachings were a small step in the right direction, but he still fumbles the ball in some ways and is only somewhat more progressive for his time.

His teachings weren't that out of the ordinary for first century Jews. For example,
Quote:Hillel said: "What is hateful to thee, do not unto thy fellow man: this is the whole Law; the rest is mere commentary" (Shab. 31a).

http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/7698-hillel
Quote:"Judge not thy neighbor till thou art in his place
"

I have often wondered if Hillel was the prototype for Jesus
(January 28, 2015 at 9:25 pm)YGninja Wrote: It might have been simpler, but may not have achieved the ends God intended. Suffering himself, as man, knowing mans suffering, knowing mans tribulations, makes him a person who we can accept to judge us. Being forgiven teaches us to forgive. To be sinless and yet die a sinners death for those you love, teaches us of Gods nature, and inspires us.
I don't see how the most advanced and brilliant intellect in the universe would need to experience being human to understand humanity, especially considering that every facet of the human mind and psyche were created by that very being. Nor would he have to come to some sort of understanding in order to set rules and a system of penalty and reward.

Unless there was the risk that he would commit a sin and thus be truly human, his life as a man was a mockery of humanity. To believe the Bible, in all of human history the only human to remain free of sin was god, when he was masquerading as a human. If he did it to understand the human experience, then he apparently did it wrong. What he did experience was barbarity, scheming, and brutal violence, yet the experience did not affect him in the way that one might have assumed. One would have hoped that, having gone through such grueling physical torment, god would have made sure no one ever had to go through that again.

Instead... he invents hell. Facepalm
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(January 28, 2015 at 10:25 pm)Tonus Wrote:
(January 28, 2015 at 9:25 pm)YGninja Wrote: It might have been simpler, but may not have achieved the ends God intended. Suffering himself, as man, knowing mans suffering, knowing mans tribulations, makes him a person who we can accept to judge us. Being forgiven teaches us to forgive. To be sinless and yet die a sinners death for those you love, teaches us of Gods nature, and inspires us.
I don't see how the most advanced and brilliant intellect in the universe would need to experience being human to understand humanity, especially considering that every facet of the human mind and psyche were created by that very being. Nor would he have to come to some sort of understanding in order to set rules and a system of penalty and reward.

Unless there was the risk that he would commit a sin and thus be truly human, his life as a man was a mockery of humanity. To believe the Bible, in all of human history the only human to remain free of sin was god, when he was masquerading as a human. If he did it to understand the human experience, then he apparently did it wrong. What he did experience was barbarity, scheming, and brutal violence, yet the experience did not affect him in the way that one might have assumed. One would have hoped that, having gone through such grueling physical torment, god would have made sure no one ever had to go through that again.

Instead... he invents hell. Facepalm

I never understood why an all knowing being had to become human in order to experience what it is like to be human. If god has something to learn, he isn't omniscient.

Of course, the only people who expect the Christian god to act like he actually is omnipotent or omniscient are atheists. Christians tend to act like they believe their god's power is limited.
He commands us to do unto others as we would have them do unto us, then wonders why most people don't worship him.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Nope Wrote:God led the Hebrews into believing that one way pleased him and then, according to Christians, changed the rules on the Jewish people.

So God makes rules for the Hebrews and swaps them out for new rules for the Christians.
What makes the Christians think He won't be doing this again?
Doesn't that make rigid adherence kind of uncertain?
Is there a "no, really, I mean it this time," in the bible?
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(January 28, 2015 at 9:25 pm)YGninja Wrote: Suffering himself, as man, knowing mans suffering, knowing mans tribulations, makes him a person who we can accept to judge us.
Funny thing about that, the crucifixion narrative explains precisely why this concept cannot judge us, or be used to judge us. Who would place authority in the hands of a scapegoater?

Quote:Being forgiven teaches us to forgive. To be sinless and yet die a sinners death for those you love, teaches us of Gods nature, and inspires us.
Sure does, and that nature is one of moral bankruptcy. I hope it doesn't inspire you -too- much..or we'll have to send you to texas to get hit over the head /w a brick.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Ninja: You realize that all sin means is "something God doesn't like", right? It's nothing to do with whether it's actually beneficial or harmful to humans.

So jesus living a sinless life amounts to him living a life God liked. And he is God. So he lived a life he liked. Is that supposed to impress me?

Sin is an entirely imaginary concept used to control people, pointing to an invisible man in the sky and saying, "You upset him!".
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 55316 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Why doesn't God love his enemies? Fake Messiah 16 1699 November 30, 2022 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 3228 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 23407 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Why is Jesus in third place when he deserves first? Greatest I am 25 5169 September 22, 2020 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Crucifixion question zebo-the-fat 60 5442 April 16, 2019 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 7323 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Jesus' Crucifixion a parable Silver 56 7371 October 3, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: tahaadi
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 6055 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many? KevinM1 307 35625 February 14, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257