Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 12:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
you send yourselves to hell
RE: you send yourselves to hell
Aw Sheesh, here we go again! Wink I can just see rayaan sharpening his ritual disemboweling cutlass again.

I consider myself a Christian for two reasons.

1. I had what I considered to be a spiritual experience of God. Now I know that a spiritual experience of God is pretty hard to distinguish from an experience of being Batshit crazy. But I choose to believe the former because it is more comfortable, and because it's reproducible to a degree. Since this experience was in the context of Christianity it is irrevocably tangled up with Christianity.

2. I've experienced a far better life following the laws and moralities I've cherry picked from the new testament.

My Christianity is functional. I tend not to evangelise because my reasons my Christianity are almost entirely argument from personal experience and thus only really apply to me. I did have a go at intellectualising those experiences from a purely psychosocial point of view and although that fit perfectly well, I did not like it much. So on the basis that I get to believe whatever the hell I like I recanted my flirtation with Atheism and reverted to my old framework.

I can hold my hands up to a charge of intellectual dishonesty here, choosing to believe that something objectively less likely is true because it feels good to do so. My only defence to that is "Fuck you" Big Grin. I consider it akin to believing my kids are the best kids in the world. It gives me pleasure to believe so and so long as I don't give you a hard time because your little shits lick windows and eat paint, I don't see a problem with that.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(March 13, 2014 at 9:03 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Aw Sheesh, here we go again! Wink I can just see rayaan sharpening his ritual disemboweling cutlass again.

1. I had what I considered to be a spiritual experience of God. Now I know that a spiritual experience of God is pretty hard to distinguish from an experience of being Batshit crazy. But I choose to believe the former because it is more comfortable, and because it's reproducible to a degree. Since this experience was in the context of Christianity it is irrevocably tangled up with Christianity.

2. I've experienced a far better life following the laws and moralities I've cherry picked from the new testament.

My Christianity is functional. I tend not to evangelise because my reasons my Christianity are almost entirely argument from personal experience and thus only really apply to me. I did have a go at intellectualising those experiences from a purely psychosocial point of view and although that fit perfectly well, I did not like it much. So on the basis that I get to believe whatever the hell I like I recanted my flirtation with Atheism and reverted to my old framework.

I can hold my hands up to a charge of intellectual dishonesty here, choosing to believe that something objectively less likely is true because it feels good to do so. My only defence to that is "Fuck you" Big Grin. I consider it akin to believing my kids are the best kids in the world. It gives me pleasure to believe so and so long as I don't give you a hard time because your little shits lick windows and eat paint, I don't see a problem with that.

Wow. I like ur response. First time a Christian talked about being a Christian and swore... u potty mouth.. im still sticking with atheism.. Smile
(March 13, 2014 at 9:03 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: 2. I've experienced a far better life following the laws and moralities I've cherry picked from the new testament.

I don't see why you'd even bother putting this one in: if you're self aware enough to admit to cherry picking, then surely you understand that whatever moral strictures you do place yourself under are, at most, a shadow-christian morality informed by your own mind, in terms of what you accept and what you object?

You'd be taking your cues from the bible, but what you believe would not be christianity in any real sense, so why bring this up as a reason you believe? Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 13, 2014 at 9:10 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(March 13, 2014 at 9:03 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: 2. I've experienced a far better life following the laws and moralities I've cherry picked from the new testament.

I don't see why you'd even bother putting this one in: if you're self aware enough to admit to cherry picking, then surely you understand that whatever moral strictures you do place yourself under are, at most, a shadow-christian morality informed by your own mind, in terms of what you accept and what you object?

You'd be taking your cues from the bible, but what you believe would not be christianity in any real sense, so why bring this up as a reason you believe? Tongue

Weird init.

Can't tell you. Other than when I wasn't trying to follow anything I loused things up, and when I'm picking the bits I like from the bible, which is most of the red letters, I don't. Or at least not so much. And yes I know there are not many behaviours I could NOT justify with scripture. But somehow I don't.

Go figure.
Sith code
(March 13, 2014 at 9:03 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Aw Sheesh, here we go again! Wink I can just see rayaan sharpening his ritual disemboweling cutlass again.

I understand where you're coming from actually. Still, on some level, you must feel that it can't really be more than a comforting delusion...no?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(March 13, 2014 at 1:36 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: I understand where you're coming from actually. Still, on some level, you must feel that it can't really be more than a comforting delusion...no?

Oooo, you're SO warm Big Grin

No, I FEEL that its real, relevant and helpful.

I often THINK it can't be more than a comforting delusion.

See what I did there?
Sith code
(March 13, 2014 at 2:32 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote:
(March 13, 2014 at 1:36 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: I understand where you're coming from actually. Still, on some level, you must feel that it can't really be more than a comforting delusion...no?

Oooo, you're SO warm Big Grin

See what I did there?

Sounds like you're conflicted.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(March 13, 2014 at 2:38 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:
(March 13, 2014 at 2:32 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Oooo, you're SO warm Big Grin

See what I did there?

Sounds like you're conflicted.
You'll be telling me we can destroy the sith next...Wink

Sith code

I can hold my hands up to a charge of intellectual dishonesty here, choosing to believe that something objectively less likely is true because it feels good to do so.

If you're going to cherry pick from a particular book, and doing that only because it makes you "feel good," then why don't you also cherrypick things from the Quran, Vedas, Torah, Dao De Jing, Meshaf Resh, Guru Granth Sahib, and other religious books all at the same time to make yourself feel even BETTER? You may as well go ahead and mix up all the different books of morality in a cherry-picked fashion to make yourself feel better, if you don't care about being objectively correct.
if you're going down the route of cherry picking you'll always end up with a severe case of cognitive dissonance somewhere down the line.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you knew for certain that you were going to Hell zwanzig 32 3100 March 9, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Ex-Christians: How do you lose your fear of hell? KiwiNFLFan 29 5713 November 20, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Are you going to hell... Drich 143 18653 February 5, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  What the Hell,is Hell anyway? Vern Cliff 31 7078 October 15, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Christians you guys are going to hell dyresand 23 6506 September 22, 2015 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  so you're in heaven now what? - coming soon so you're in hell now what v2 dyresand 8 2751 July 13, 2015 at 12:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  So you when to hell now what. dyresand 556 115980 June 25, 2015 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Finally! The definitive list of sexual positions which will sentence you to Hell! Jacob(smooth) 31 9544 February 19, 2015 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.) Strider 25 6811 December 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Brace yourselves more butthurt is coming Senshi 7 2165 April 24, 2014 at 10:17 am
Last Post: ManMachine