Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 10:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion'
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion'
No Ev, in this case I agree with Fr0d0, only if you believe in God can you be mad at him or blame him. So by definition hating God or blaming God is a Christian thing.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
No because that is where fr0d0 misrepresented me.

Obviously you can't hate God if you dont' believe in him. As I've said on the forum. It's a contradiction. You can't hate what you don't believe in.

You can still hate God if you're not Christian however...you could just believe in a different God to the Christian one.

All I'm saying is:...Christianity=following Christ...and by saying 'not very Christian' I'm not saying what Christians do or don't do, that's irrelevant to my point...what I'm speaking of is whether it coincides with what it means to be a 'good Christian' according to Christianity itself in general, whether it be Protestent or Catholic or whatever...

So it's a good thing according to Christianity to blame God then? Because I didn't think it was....I thought you're supposed to know that God loves you and love him back.

EvF
(August 26, 2009 at 7:13 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: You can still hate God if you're not Christian however...you could just believe in a different God to the Christian one.

No, then you would hate that god, not God (capital G as it is a name).
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Obviously. A semantic difference there...is all?

Anyway...obviously if you don't believe in God then you can't hate God. And my point is about how I didn't think it was being a 'good Christian' to blame God..because this is not what God (as in the Chistian God...capital 'G' as you say) wants...? He wants you to love him back (or...worship him?) as he 'loves you'?

So I meant that it went against Christian teaching? Supposedly? I'm not talking about what Christians practice...obviously many of them 'do it wrong' - because it's practically a fucking impossible task.

And futile and pointless of course...because God doesn't exist (and nor do any other 'gods').

EvF
Alright it's a 'believer' thing then. You are the one who brought up 'Christian' EV. So how are we not to assume you meant the Christian God?
(December 2, 2008 at 10:49 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: I suppose it's possible that Dawkins book tipped him over the edge but I'd put money on that being what his Father wants to believe and the kid having other issues as well ... just saying xxx is the cause by no means proves it is.

Kyu

Yeah,heaven forbid anyone suggest his military service might be a contributing factor.
If anything, The God Delusion would make one less suicidal. It's like electro-shock therapy for religion.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
TGD was absolutely life transforming for me. More than any one thing in my life. And guess what? I was already an atheist before hand!

My favourite book ever. And Dawkins is an amazing writer.

EvF
I can only imagine one angle that might drive someone to consider suicide after reading TGD. Perhaps this kid read the book, believed what it told him about his religion, but due to his (obviously very devout) family, couldn't bear to 'come out' or live with his family resenting his beliefs. I wouldn't say that it's Dawkin's problem though, especially considering he dedicated a significant section of his book to people afraid to come out, and even included several organizations to help people in that exact situation.

Not to mention how Dawkins specifically explains how an atheistic viewpoint doesn't make life bleak or meaningless, but a beautiful opportunity to be cherished and enjoyed.

Either way, Dawkin's covered his ass.
- Meatball
I found the book rather charming myself Smile Although i would have to say that Plato's Republic is a powerful book as well.

And C. S. Lewis made some impressive philosophical statements, however he failed to turn his statements upon his own beliefs.

Imo, Dawkins is an amazing writer... but i don't share the 'favorite book' status with him. I mean, Harry Potter, Inheritance, and the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel are fantastic books as well... albeit for different reasons.

Hmm... i really must buy The God Delusion and add it to my collection.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the atheist delusion(who started it or that notion?) Quill01 2 577 July 25, 2022 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Sister asked me to be 'God father' to her son Tomatoshadow2 60 4307 January 24, 2021 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5742 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Ok Atheists! I have God Delusion! Catholic_Lady 54 10149 April 14, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  My dad is proud of a lie Der/die AtheistIn 17 3544 February 19, 2018 at 2:16 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Thought on this video about "Atheist delusion"? Macoleco 3 1322 October 30, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  God can come 2nd to my son..... maestroanth 6 1405 January 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Joods
  The Atheist Delusion Foxaèr 25 4469 October 18, 2016 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  So, my son attends school at the church Easy Guns 44 9181 January 11, 2016 at 6:14 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Religion is a Delusion/Mental Illness z7z 80 15244 May 27, 2015 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: snookerman