Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 12:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist who is having a crisis of faith
RE: Atheist who is having a crisis of faith
(April 28, 2019 at 7:28 am)emilsein Wrote: Just explain to me how they knew to set it up as the same day as the darkness. B/c you guys are going with a theory that isn't mainstream except in England, that the whole thing is made up, let's say that he was at least killed, how then did they coincide it with the prophecies in the OT? If I predict a celestial event and not in the age of reason or science, and it happens, not something that common, that doesn't strike you as proof? They said 10 times in the OT that the day would be darkness on his crucifixion, well NASA said in AD 33 there was an event, explain it

There is nothing new or original about retrofitting after the fact, reading into old mythology to see what you want to see despite that it is merely old stories, is not new. And if you think your religion is the only to try to retrofit after the fact, you'd be wrong.
(April 28, 2019 at 7:30 am)Losty Wrote:
(April 28, 2019 at 7:07 am)emilsein Wrote: I guess I just don't understand why the Jews made up all that shit in the old testament to begin with. Maybe it was a solar eclipse, I don't know the info was kinda shaky and from very off websites that I don't really trust but, the fact that they think he was born during a solar eclipse b/c of facts or perceived info in the bible and josephus was talking about a son who was born at a simliar time and there was a solar eclipse. The old testament says that the days will be dark during while he's up there on that fucking cross, that's not just some vague prophecy, that's like saying I'm going to get some tabasco from Rita tomorrow, now that's exact, and eclipses don't have happen everyday like rain. Why diid the OT make up the messiah and then not believe in him when he came? Also have you studied the martydorm of the apostles, now we only have a few nonbiblical sources and yes that fuck Josephus is one of them. He says that Jesus' brother was martyred, why would he lie? B/c martydorm  is kinda strange, to say you saw him rise from the dead, not just dying for an idea but a lie, ppl don't lie, they do die for religion, but lies, just curious if this is making you question your faith , the fact that the eclipse literally happened when he was on that cross and that two secular historians say it happened, are we now going down the road  that their lying, and even NASA? does it bother you he had an eclipse at birth supposedly and at death, or you gonna chalk that up to chance to?

Wait wut?

The bible was written long after the whole Jesus thing.
It’s not like saying you’re going to get some Tabasco from Rita tomorrow, it’s like telling us you got Tabasco from Rita yesterday.
That doesn't make sense, the OT was written like over 500 years b4 JEsus walked the earth and made a prediction about darkness during the day and it happened. Are you saying we don't know if it happened b/c NASA says it did happen that year during The Passover? Are you saying they planned it on purpose? I doubt they knew scientifically when the eclipse was based off their calendars, but maybe, so what are you saying?
(April 28, 2019 at 7:07 am)emilsein Wrote: The old testament says that the days will be dark during while he's up there on that fucking cross, that's not just some vague prophecy, that's like saying I'm going to get some tabasco from Rita tomorrow, now that's exact, and eclipses don't have happen everyday like rain.

Considering that Passover happens during a full moon, solar eclipse would’ve been impossible. Of course, the darkness also is said to have lasted three hours, and covered the entire world, which would also put the kibosh on any eclipse theory.
I read in the Miami Hearld NASA confirmed the solar eclipse, i could be wrong about passover, but it did say it in an article, now maybe the article was bogus, is that possible? Either way I read it was a lunar eclipse but that also is illogical b/c those are at night.
(April 28, 2019 at 7:35 am)emilsein Wrote:
(April 28, 2019 at 7:30 am)Losty Wrote: Wait wut?

The bible was written long after the whole Jesus thing.
It’s not like saying you’re going to get some Tabasco from Rita tomorrow, it’s like telling us you got Tabasco from Rita yesterday.
That doesn't make sense, the OT was written like over 500 years b4 JEsus walked the earth and made a prediction about darkness during the day and it happened. Are you saying we don't know if it happened b/c NASA says it did happen that year during The Passover? Are you saying they planned it on purpose? I doubt they knew scientifically when the eclipse was based off their calendars, but maybe, so what are you saying?

Why would I be saying any of that. I said nothing remotely similar to any of those things

Ok ok so Old Testament.

What is the exact verse from the Old Testament that makes this prediction?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(April 28, 2019 at 7:37 am)emilsein Wrote: I read in the Miami Hearld NASA confirmed the solar eclipse, i could be wrong about passover, but it did say it in an article, now maybe the article was bogus, is that possible? Either way I read it was a lunar eclipse but that also is illogical b/c those are at night.

Did you not read my post?

Christians are NOT the only ones with followers/apologists whom try to retrofit science to old stories way after the fact. 

Jews and Muslims and Hindus and even Buddhists do this too. It doesn't work when they do it, and it does not work when you do it.
(April 28, 2019 at 7:37 am)emilsein Wrote: I read in the Miami Hearld NASA confirmed the solar eclipse, i could be wrong about passover, but it did say it in an article, now maybe the article was bogus, is that possible? Either way I read it was a lunar eclipse but that also is illogical b/c those are at night.

You're lying, NASA said no such thing.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
Can you explain why The Bible explained it as an eclipse according to wikipedia, which I'm not not trusting any of the shit I've been reading onlnie, why the hell would NASA even say it was an eclipse on his day of death in ad 33? can anyone look up eclipse data and see if this is bs but in the wiki It appears that Luke's Gospel originally explained the event as an eclipse. The majority of manuscripts of the Gospel of Luke have the Greek phrase eskotisthe ho helios ("the sun was darkened"), but the earliest manuscripts say tou heliou eklipontos ("the sun's light failed" or "the sun was in eclipse").[14] This earlier version is likely to have been the original one, amended by later scribes to correct what they assumed was an error, since they knew that an eclipse was impossible during Passover.[15][16] One early Christian commentator even suggested that the text had been deliberately corrupted by opponents of the Church to make it easier to attack.[17]

In the account of the crucifixion given in the Gospel of John[18] there is no mention of darkness, the tearing of the veil, or the raising of the dead.[19]
(April 28, 2019 at 7:28 am)emilsein Wrote: Just explain to me how they knew to set it up as the same day as the darkness. B/c you guys are going with a theory that isn't mainstream except in England, that the whole thing is made up, let's say that he was at least killed, how then did they coincide it with the prophecies in the OT? If I predict a celestial event and not in the age of reason or science, and it happens, not something that common, that doesn't strike you as proof? They said 10 times in the OT that the day would be darkness on his crucifixion, well NASA said in AD 33 there was an event, explain it

The used a ouija board, DUH!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 28, 2019 at 8:03 am)emilsein Wrote: Can you explain why The Bible explained it as an eclipse according to wikipedia, which I'm not not trusting any of the shit I've been reading onlnie, why the hell would NASA even say it was an eclipse on his day of death in ad 33? can anyone look up eclipse data and see if this is bs but in the wiki It appears that Luke's Gospel originally explained the event as an eclipse. The majority of manuscripts of the Gospel of Luke have the Greek phrase eskotisthe ho helios ("the sun was darkened"), but the earliest manuscripts say tou heliou eklipontos ("the sun's light failed" or "the sun was in eclipse").[14] This earlier version is likely to have been the original one, amended by later scribes to correct what they assumed was an error, since they knew that an eclipse was impossible during Passover.[15][16] One early Christian commentator even suggested that the text had been deliberately corrupted by opponents of the Church to make it easier to attack.[17]

In the account of the crucifixion given in the Gospel of John[18] there is no mention of darkness, the tearing of the veil, or the raising of the dead.[19]

The bible is a book of mythology. It is NOT a science textbook.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3949 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1278 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 986 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 11550 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 924 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4326 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Do Christians have faith in oxygen/air? MellisaClarke 83 14103 January 3, 2018 at 6:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What makes your faith true? Fake Messiah 237 33561 November 12, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Odoital77
  What is "FAITH" deceptive_illusion 583 205776 October 29, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Baha'i Faith, have you heard of it? Foxaèr 22 3336 October 23, 2017 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis