Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 8:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How far reaching are God's powers?
RE: How far reaching are God's powers?
Sure am glad the boss gave me that day off. I don't remember applying for any job and I'm not sure a day is his to gift to me...but whatever.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 13, 2020 at 11:57 am)Eleven Wrote: So clear to the one interpreting it how he sees fit while ignoring more valid interpretations.

Explain to me how my interpretation is less valid than the other. If a day is clearly made for the man, and not the man for the day, as Jesus Christ Himself proclaims, then how is God arbitrarily demanding worship on that day? Saying the day is "a Sabbath unto the Lord" doesn't say that He is demanding worship, but simply requiring rest for the sake of the individual. This is obvious.

By the way, if I've not responded to comments previous to this one, that's because I've chosen to ignore them.
It's not less valid, and that's the point. It's equally valid - and the underlying validity of all your peer interpretations share in that sorry state just as your own.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 13, 2020 at 12:44 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: It's not less valid, and that's the point.  It's equally valid - and the underlying validity of all your peer interpretations share in that sorry state just as your own.

No, it IS less valid, because it's not even an interpretation, now that I think about it. The commandment itself is no metaphor; it's spelled out clearly. It doesn't mention the word "worship" once, or anything that could possibly be construed as worship, and commands the individual to rest. It is cut and dry and inarguable.
Sounds like you've just told me how one interpretation is less valid than another - ironically, what you asked another poster to provide - but I think that you just can't get right on this, personally.

That brings to mind a thought experiment, not entirely unlike angrboda's. Let's just imagine that everything I might think about your religion is true. Are you morally responsible for holding it, as you are, as a human being, as an entity currently incapable of not believing - can I hold you morally responsible for that false and bad belief? You don't intend to do harm by it, you don't control whether you believe it, and you don't control how your beliefs pan out in the world.

Are you or can you be held morally responsible for holding that belief..and, if so, how?
(November 13, 2020 at 7:53 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: The god making no mistakes part is rich.  Sure, fine, whatever.  People do.  If magic book has mistakes in it, it's on account of people, not gods.

Is a god a jealous bitch, liable to slash your tires or boil a bunny if you look sideways at another god?  Obviously the people of the world have had no trouble imagining as much, and I suppose theres no reason that it couldn't be - but if that idea is in error, it won't be in error on account of anything a god ever did.

I literally had a chuckle at that.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
Yet another service we provide.
(November 13, 2020 at 10:36 am)Eleven Wrote: It is no surprise that theists who view god as good also view their own words and actions toward non-believers as good.

The old canard of having 'good' men doing evil things being caused by religion springs to mind. Dunno if that's accurate or not, although I suspect it probably is.

(November 13, 2020 at 1:32 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Yet another service we provide.

Much appreciated.

Not much point if people can't have some humor in life, which is kinda a 'red thread' for just how fucking humorless too many theists are, which also clashes with (loosely associated, I guess) just how damn sick in the head they are from all that faith business going on in their delusions.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(November 8, 2020 at 11:38 am)MilesAbbott81 Wrote:
(October 10, 2020 at 7:46 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: What is God god of? My guess is that most believers believe that God's powers go over our solar system. So is the God a God of the whole galaxy or just part of the galaxy? Does it go beyond galaxy and God is God of the whole galactic cluster? Or the believers believe that God is in charge of all the galaxies? I mean that is a lot of galaxies, stars, planets, and whatnot.

And if God is God of the whole universe is it just this universe or is he God of all other universes, or each universe has its own God?

Psalm 82 mentions how God has meetings with other gods so we see some division of power, perhaps gods of other galaxies or universes?

God's power is far greater than most realize. Perhaps the most terrifying indication of His power is the fact that He had no beginning, a concept we can hardly even begin to imagine.

More interestingly, He is not merely in control of all existence, but He is in control down to the most minute of details. The Scriptures say even the very hairs on our heads are numbered. That demonstrates not simply how much control He has, but how involved He is.

Most see Him as distant and preoccupied with running things. Not only does He run everything perfectly, it's no trouble for Him. He is omnipotent...that word is likely underestimated more often than not.

You're wrong, the most terrifying concept of gods power is that he doesn't exist, yet people still kill in his name.

And before you start giving about me saying god doesn't exist, I can prove it by only using christian beliefs.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(November 13, 2020 at 1:10 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Sounds like you've just told me how one interpretation is less valid than another - ironically, what you asked another poster to provide - but I think that you just can't get right on this, personally.

Did you even read what I wrote? The commandment isn't open to interpretation. All you have to do is read it and you'll see what I mean. There is no language commanding worship, not even anything synonymous with worship or that could be metaphorically referring to worship. So where in the world did the original statement/interpretation come from? There was no reason at all for it.

(November 13, 2020 at 1:10 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: That brings to mind a thought experiment, not entirely unlike angrboda's.  Let's just imagine that everything I might think about your religion is true.  Are you morally responsible for holding it, as you are, as a human being, as an entity currently incapable of not believing - can I hold you morally responsible for that false and bad belief?  You don't intend to do harm by it, you don't control whether you believe it, and you don't control how your beliefs pan out in the world.  

Are you or can you be held morally responsible for holding that belief..and, if so, how?

I honestly have no idea what you're saying here. Perhaps it's just me, but your writing seems, once again, incoherent.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 7042 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Far right Catholic group worried about being banned. Jehanne 14 2015 August 24, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  So It Seems That This Jesus Freak Corporation's Religious Beliefs Only Go So Far Minimalist 11 2235 July 6, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Review so far of the Romans study Drich 199 34475 December 18, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Does Calvinism make the most sense as far as Christianity Goes? The Batlord 63 17161 August 16, 2015 at 10:14 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Why Ancient Aliens is far more plausible than Christianity FreeTony 30 4850 July 27, 2014 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12675 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6733 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad
  £3 Million that could be towards far better causes darkwolf176 14 3502 May 26, 2010 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Thor