Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 5:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think about gun control?
RE: What do you think about gun control?
(February 10, 2022 at 6:47 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 10, 2022 at 6:43 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: So let's see -

Quote: For further clarification, what I usually indict is gun culture. Unquote.

Whatever THAT is.

Clear as mud.

Thanks...

Well, the topic seems to be gun violence and how to address it. In societies with high rates of gun violence, the chief cause is the behaviours and attitudes of the people in that society towards guns. I indict a gun culture that leads to violence.

I don’t think I can make it any plainer that that.

Boru

In the US, one aspect of our gun culture that probably does the most damage - a thing that's changed about us gun culture just in living memory - is that a fairly large portion of gun purchasers and owners will tell you they bought a firearm...for self defense.

It's a thing we think is for shooting people.  This, predictably, leads to people being shot.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 10, 2022 at 6:47 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 10, 2022 at 6:43 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: So let's see -

Quote: For further clarification, what I usually indict is gun culture. Unquote.

Whatever THAT is.

Clear as mud.

Thanks...

Well, the topic seems to be gun violence and how to address it. In societies with high rates of gun violence, the chief cause is the behaviours and attitudes of the people in that society towards guns. I indict a gun culture that leads to violence.

Boru
Are you pretending that the whole of the US is unified on the subject?

Your claim of " gun culture" is like saying " the color of the rainbow" - like there is only one....

Hate to clue you in - but opinions here differ. There is no " gun culture" - just a whole lot of people - some of which own guns.
If there is ever a Zombie Apocalypse, you'll be thankful for the 2nd Amendment, and, especially, all of that spare ammo.
(February 10, 2022 at 10:59 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(February 10, 2022 at 6:47 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Well, the topic seems to be gun violence and how to address it. In societies with high rates of gun violence, the chief cause is the behaviours and attitudes of the people in that society towards guns. I indict a gun culture that leads to violence.

Boru
Are you pretending that the whole of the US is unified on the subject?

Your claim of " gun culture" is like saying " the color of the rainbow" - like there is only one....

Hate to clue you in - but opinions here differ. There is no " gun culture" - just a whole lot of people - some of which own guns.

I think you're being deliberately obtuse. No sub-culture is universal, and I never said otherwise. Gun culture refers to peoples' attitudes about guns.

American gun culture consists of:

-Gun ownership is a right.

-Guns keep me and my family safe.

-I need guns to protect my property.

-Guns prevent crime. And so on.

Does each and every American believe the same things about guns? Let's not be silly - not even all gun owners believe the same things.  But these beliefs DO appear to be pervasive in American society. But simply because there are differences of opinion regarding guns doesn't mean there's no such thing as 'American gun culture'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
So what are you indicting?

Opinions? Of which there are camps diametrically opposed?

Actually - it appears that what you want is to stereotype. You want to say there is this " culture" of really bad people who are responsible for all the problems. As if somehow this undefined cabal of nefarious motherfuckers is in charge of everything.....

Sure..

That' s reasonable...
(February 11, 2022 at 6:36 am)onlinebiker Wrote: So what are you indicting?

Opinions? Of which there are camps diametrically opposed?

Actually - it appears that what you want is to stereotype. You want to say there is this " culture" of really bad people who are responsible for all the problems. As if somehow this undefined cabal of nefarious motherfuckers is in charge of everything.....

Sure..

That' s reasonable...

Yeah, that's what I meant.   Rolleyes

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Words, what do they mean, right?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 9, 2022 at 6:11 am)Jehanne Wrote: So, true. I sleep with my mobile phone (it's 4 AM here; one of my cats got me up, because, he wanted to eat; I locked him in my basement with fresh food, water, etc.). Anyone who breaks into my home is here to steal worthless, useless items, not to kill me. It takes about 10 seconds to dial 911; the police station is 1.5 miles away.

[Image: Ch2.png]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(February 12, 2022 at 9:27 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(February 9, 2022 at 6:11 am)Jehanne Wrote: So, true. I sleep with my mobile phone (it's 4 AM here; one of my cats got me up, because, he wanted to eat; I locked him in my basement with fresh food, water, etc.). Anyone who breaks into my home is here to steal worthless, useless items, not to kill me. It takes about 10 seconds to dial 911; the police station is 1.5 miles away.

[Image: Ch2.png]

Yeah, if anyone steals my identity, good luck opening any new accounts in my name.
(February 10, 2022 at 11:21 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Trouble is, gun ownership is protected as a right by the 2nd, 5th, and 9th amendments to the constitution.  

Incorrect: It's protected by activist reich-wing judges deliberately misinterpreting what those three amendments actually said.

If you need to go through a series of tests to show that you're physically, mentally and psychologically capable of driving a car before being let behind the wheel, I cannot see how the same can't apply to a tool designed explicitly to kill other people. Countries that don't apply this standards are frankly not civilised.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1373 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What do you think about the police? FlatAssembler 169 14391 December 19, 2022 at 12:49 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  What you think of USA voting system? Woah0 10 1000 August 17, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  What do you think about the immigration crisis? FlatAssembler 37 4502 February 21, 2022 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: highdimensionman
  What do you think is Trump's next move? WinterHold 42 2010 October 8, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Another Gun Thread Foxaèr 254 20189 September 29, 2020 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Population control onlinebiker 43 2859 April 11, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  What do you think all these GOP senators get in return for brown nosing Trump? A Godzilla fan 15 1823 September 30, 2019 at 11:52 am
Last Post: A Godzilla fan
  Proof gun control works GrandizerII 115 6644 August 23, 2019 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Is Trump Hate Legit or Mob Control? jessieban 37 5707 June 21, 2019 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Fireball