Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 3:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the point of philosophy any more?
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more?
(March 25, 2018 at 6:09 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: Thomas Nagel asks the question "What is it like to be a bat?"

A scientist may fully understand a bat's physiology and fully understand how it uses sonar to navigate its nocturnal environment but something is left unexplained. There is a certain sensation and experience that the bat has when it uses sonar--the qualia involved.

What about the sensation of pain? You might understand every neural pathway activated by a pin prick to the finger. Even if you had privilege to view every change in someone's brain states when his/her finger is being pricked with a pin, the first-person experience of the pin prick (pain) would not be discernible to you.

As John Searle puts it, conscious experience is causally reducible but not ontologically reducible to brain states.
A variation of the colorblind color scientist.  Where we posit that some scientist knows everything about color, but..being blind..lacks one thing..forgetting that we began by asserting that they knew everything about color..and what it would look like to some creature x is certainly part of "everything about color". It's interesting that we don't conceptualize any other thing in this way.   When we use a voltmeter we say that we've observed electricity, a thermometer..temperature....but if we (had and) read a "painometer"...we... won't be doing that..?
(March 25, 2018 at 7:04 pm)bennyboy Wrote: How would experience be invalid?  It's not a position, a philosophy, or a world view.  I don't see that there's anything about it that CAN be invalid.  What can be invalid are interpretations about the objectivity of experienced objects-- but that's really not the same thing.

I don't think a sense of self can be, or need be, interpreted.  It's not a conclusion or an inference.  It's just a label for whatever-it-is.
It would be invalid in the same way you declared any other thing invalid (or, not).  If you invalidate some other thing by reference to it's subjectivity your subjective experience of self is invalidated.  If you invalidate some other thing by referring to it as an interpretation your interpretation of self is invalid.  These are redundant, two ways to say the same thing.

I'm not telling you that it is, I'm noting that consistency of your position on these matters demands that it would be for the reason you lay out.

Responding to both of the above comments with a single line of thought...I think that it may be that our minds are so special to us....so integral, that we import that attachment into our notions that they are somehow mechanically or functionally special. That there's something irreducible, or something we can't see or even -couldn't- see gong on..even when the same language applied to any other thing would be utter nonsense. The first and grandest of all special pleading cases, one we're literally born into. Personally, I think it was far easier to rationalize this when we were completely ignorant of the fact that the brain was relevant to the subject, and even after that when we were still unaware of how to mechanically implement systems like logic...and that's the point in time that the mind body problem and the philosophic tradition surrounding it arises from (it was conceptualized then..ofc as the soul/body problem, so at least it's made a little progress...lol). Rather than incorporate what is...granted, nowhere near a complete understanding of that...that tradition chose instead to find ways to dissemble over what is nevertheless an immense body of observation in order to reassert and maintain it's traditional relevance.

It's in this context that a persons dissatisfaction with philosophy might find it's root...but it's worth pointing out that there is a (philosophic) theory of mind for just about every discipline and observation that we've since learned to be relevant to mind, as well. That, for example...a scientist engaged in this research -is- being gainfully employed as a "philosopher of mind". That people will use Matthildas ai research, if and where they can, to provide insight on mind wherever it can. That these people are armed with more information, armed with more sound propositions and a better method of generating further sound propositions and a less ambiguous language to communicate them than any who came before them. It makes little sense..to this mind...to reassert or assent to the tyranny of a tradition based in a meaningful and relative ignorance...though it does help to have the counterpoint as a guard against potential overreach.

In effect - we ask how these traditional problems can be overcome by some position, and the position describes how that's done...it makes little sense after asking and hearing that answer, to reassert "but you -can't- overcome problem x". They just did, or at least showed one way it could be. What would be required to competently criticize those positions is not a reassertion that no observation could touch it, but a demonstration that the observations are inaccurate. For example..that no one can demonstrate a "neural state" upon which some conclusion rests. Not the insistence that their ability to demonstrate a neural state is somehow insufficient in ways that demonstrating a state of potential electrical or actual thermal difference is not. The latter, though commonly employed to argue against some position..is no less than a complete concession -to- that position. If we concede (even for the purposes of argument) that this x is the neural state of pain..we have observed and explained pain in exactly the same way as we observe or explain any other thing.

If this doesn't satisfy us, then we haven't observed electricity, or temperature, or any other x in-kind either...and we find ourselves in the conceptual black hole all over again.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by Sal - March 20, 2018 at 7:33 am
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by Brian37 - March 20, 2018 at 4:36 pm
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by tjakey - March 20, 2018 at 9:40 am
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by Foxaèr - March 20, 2018 at 12:05 pm
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by Brian37 - March 20, 2018 at 12:16 pm
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by Brian37 - March 20, 2018 at 12:33 pm
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by Brian37 - March 20, 2018 at 4:32 pm
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by bennyboy - March 22, 2018 at 12:30 am
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by bennyboy - March 24, 2018 at 10:31 pm
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by Angrboda - March 25, 2018 at 12:52 pm
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by bennyboy - March 28, 2018 at 10:24 am
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by Shell B - March 25, 2018 at 5:05 pm
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by The Grand Nudger - March 26, 2018 at 6:27 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 127 6612 May 20, 2024 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1555 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3765 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1722 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13899 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2757 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 5047 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  What is the point of multiple types of ethics? Macoleco 12 1203 October 2, 2018 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8627 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12395 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy