Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 10:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the point of philosophy any more?
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more?
(March 26, 2018 at 5:31 pm)Whateverist Wrote: No I’m just describing the way it seems to me from my own first person perspective.  No claims of objectivity included or implied.  Is your own experience very different then?
It's unlikely that my experience is different from your own by any statistically significant margin.  Even if we were entirely different and opposite people we'd be what, a couple points of deviation away from each other on a narrow standard scale?  

I'll use the comp analogy just for this response and then drop it (lol)..but, to an alu, what we might call an emotional input and what we might call a rational input are functionally equivalent.  The system is capable of doing the same work in the same way on either and would be incapable of distinguishing between the two in the vast majority of cases without meta-data on the inputs.  

Quote:An adequate account of consciousness probably should square with what we experience or at least explain how the false appearance arise. So I think the struggle between impulse and best judgement needs to be accounted for by whatever theory one offers.
"Impulse" would be the analog of dry logical function in living creatures.  "Best judgement"..a much higher level abstraction or language that included emotional inputs.  It's easy to see why people don't see it that way, or miss the subtlety on the conflation by natural semantics.  

A simple system does x if y..for example.  There's your basic IF function (one of a range of functions implemented in an alu). Doesn't matter what the x or the y is.  That's entirely logical even if both x and y are..in our normal conversational sense..not.  The fact that we act on our emotions or impulses are both equally logical from the point of view of the system...and our designating something as one or the other (in the conversational sense) would rely on meta-data, and the validity of our designation on both the accuracy and accessibility of the meta-data.

Do either you or I actually have -that- sort of experience, accurate and accessible metadata about the function of our minds? Unlikely. Maybe in loooong retrospect, with an even higher level of abstraction and regimented thought, lol. Certainly not a common thing or a thing that we realize in the moment. Meanwhile...."if the sky is :jumping jacks: then do :rabbit:" is just one of the many possible descriptions of a logical function.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by Sal - March 20, 2018 at 7:33 am
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by Brian37 - March 20, 2018 at 4:36 pm
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by tjakey - March 20, 2018 at 9:40 am
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by Foxaèr - March 20, 2018 at 12:05 pm
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by Brian37 - March 20, 2018 at 12:16 pm
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by Brian37 - March 20, 2018 at 12:33 pm
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by Brian37 - March 20, 2018 at 4:32 pm
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by bennyboy - March 22, 2018 at 12:30 am
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by bennyboy - March 24, 2018 at 10:31 pm
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by Angrboda - March 25, 2018 at 12:52 pm
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by bennyboy - March 28, 2018 at 10:24 am
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by Shell B - March 25, 2018 at 5:05 pm
RE: What's the point of philosophy any more? - by The Grand Nudger - March 26, 2018 at 5:43 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 127 6663 May 20, 2024 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1571 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3777 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1723 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13924 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2759 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 5049 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  What is the point of multiple types of ethics? Macoleco 12 1206 October 2, 2018 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8637 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12415 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy