Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 2:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential
RE: The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential
(April 27, 2018 at 3:12 pm)Hammy Wrote: You have not shown that it has any utility at all... evolutionary or otherwise. All I can concede is perhaps the fact we can have a conversation about it is the only effect. If you want to call that a useful effect then go for it. But an evolutionary effect or any especially useful effect? You have not demonstrated any such thing. And how could you? Like I said, a behaviorally indistinguishable philosophical zombie can be conceived and that is precisely because it doesn't appear that consciousness is actually doing anything.
Sure, they could do that, and that would describe the evolutionary utility of however -they- did that...not at all unlike the evolutionary utility of an ant colony.  

Quote:That's a total non-sequitur that doesn't demonstrate anything about consciousness. A philosophical zombie could like to fuck real girls more than dolls. You are repeatedly missing the point.
Sure, and if it liked to fuck real girls more than dolls then being a real girl is selectively advantageous for the real girl.   

Quote:Let alone more than that, you haven't demonstrated that consciousness even demonstrates that... or how it could even demonstrate that.

You are simply begging the question by saying the equivalent "Of course you need consciousness for that and of course you need conciousness for art."
Evolutionary utility isn't a matter of necessity.  It's a matter of what you do with what you've got.  You don't need a birds wings to take flight.., there are other ways to achieve that effect.  Nevertheless..if the way -you- do it involves wings...and taking flight is advantageous...that is a description of evolutionary utility.  

Quote:A robot could fuck a real a girl or art.
Yes..there are many evolutionary pathways to commonly advantageous behaviors and abilities.  This isn't a problem for any given representative apparatus.  
Quote:
(April 22, 2018 at 12:32 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Oh, cmon, that can't be entirely true.  You're an empathetic guy, you probably care..at least a little bit..how I feel. 

What I'm clearly saying is it's entirely irrelevant to this discussion.
I think that it's more important than it may seem.  AST posits consciousness as internal modeling, and also the ability to model other "selves".  If empathy is advantageous...and if consciousness is internal modeling...then this...again, is a description of evolutionary utility.  

Quote:
Quote: I make many assumptions..such as the necessary assumption of your consciousness in any empathetic analysis..commonly thought to be a selective advantage in populations capable of managing it.  I don;t actually make the assumption that consciousness is required for civilization, though I do note that our consciousness has contributed immensely to ours..and our civilization is widely regarded as a selective advantage for our species.  

You have not shown that any of those things require consciousness.
b-mine.

Quote:You have not demonstrated that any of that has anything to do with consciousness or any way requires consciousness.

It;s the former..not the latter..I'm commenting on, and I simply don't agree.  Perhaps..though, you could suggest some specific advantage that you'd consider a credible answer?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential - by The Grand Nudger - April 27, 2018 at 3:25 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 127 6612 May 20, 2024 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1555 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3765 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism? FlatAssembler 36 2264 June 23, 2023 at 9:36 pm
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1722 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1146 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13899 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Metaethics Part 1: Cognitivism/Non-cognitivism Disagreeable 24 1600 February 11, 2022 at 6:46 pm
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2757 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7488 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet