Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 12:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anybody up for an arguement against my Christian beliefs?
RE: Anybody up for an arguement against my Christian beliefs?
Well, here's an argument I've wanted to make for a while.

[Image: tf.org-Girl-Next-Door-The-free.jpg]
Fact: The movie The Girl Next Door is about the torture of two girls by their aunt, a churchgoing woman, and the neighborhood kids she attracts. The aunt and her children eventually zero in on one girl and eventually brand her and kill her after several months of torture. Think me frivolous for using Hollywood to argue against the existence of a loving, personal God? Well, as it turns out, and as that sentence below the title should have tipped off, this is actually based on a true story. The girl was Sylvia Likens. And, in many parts, the true story is even more brutal than the Hollywood version. What especially horrified me was that the kids who did the torturing effectively got off scot free, and the woman who led them, the Cherbnabog of Indianapolis, ended up living the last few years of her life as a free woman on an "I was high at the time" excuse.

Now, there are two replies that are often given to justify the non-interference of God in such matters from Christians and other Theists.
1) "There's always a silver lining." I heard from apologist Richard Swinburne that it was justifiable for God to not interfere with the Holocaust because it could give some individuals an opportunity for heroism. Be that as it may, there is no such example of heroism in the case of Sylvia. None of the kids seemed to find any real grounds for noncompliance with her aunt, and certainly, if there was, it all added to nothing. Even her sister, Jenny, who was also tortured, could only watch as her sister died a slow and painful death at the hands of the neighborhood kids.
2) "Why do I allow it? Why do You allow it?" You may also say that it is simply a matter of free will, and that it wouldn't be right for God to take away our free will. To this, I have to say this: so, if you know a girl is being tortured by her aunt and the children around her, and you have the power to stop them, but doing nothing, is that Good? For that matter, if one creates a universe in which such actions are options, and that it's imperative that those who want to do so are able to? How are any of these the marks of a Good, All-Powerful being?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anybody up for an arguement against my Christian beliefs? - by Rev. Rye - March 3, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 593 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91679 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will' zebo-the-fat 19 2281 July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What beliefs would we consider reasonable for a self proclaimed Christian to hold? Whateverist 853 79946 April 16, 2018 at 4:26 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  So It Seems That This Jesus Freak Corporation's Religious Beliefs Only Go So Far Minimalist 11 2288 July 6, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Christians never murdered anybody mcolafson 22 3707 December 15, 2016 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Interesting survey of Evangelical beliefs in USA Bunburryist 33 5891 October 11, 2016 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Indoctrinated Beliefs Aractus 2 1235 May 9, 2015 at 5:05 am
Last Post: Aractus
  The 10 Most Ridiculous Beliefs in the Christian Delusion Mudhammam 78 17546 December 22, 2014 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Challenge: Name Even 10 Beliefs in the Christian Delusion which are NOT Ridiculous Whateverist 33 5580 December 21, 2014 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus