Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 6:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If faith works how every religion says it works......
RE: If faith works how every religion says it works......
(August 8, 2010 at 1:38 pm)RAD Wrote: That seems rather subjective. Special pleading perhaps? Jefferson, who called Jesus' teachings "the most sublime BTW, seems to disagree.

What seems subjective? What's special pleading? Undoubtedly, most people were theists in the past. Plus, Jefferson was most likely a deist, not a Christian, though he liked Jesus' teachings.

Quote:Um, they also had a leader who was completely paranoid, refused anything resembling fair trials if he had any at all, and who said Darwin "changed everything." Stalin made the Inquistors look fair minded. Would you agree?

Clearly Stalin was a nutter. Whether he was worse than the Inquisitors or not, or worse than the persecution of Catholics and Protestants in Tudor England, or worse than the crusades, or the religiously motivated anti-semites throughout world history is, of course, an open question. My point was that more might have been killed in these circumstances had the religious fanatics had modern technology.

Quote:Also is it possible that people who read the sermon on the Mount, and actually think Jesus will judge them accordingly, (whether it is true or not) might think twice about committing wholesale murder?

It's possible, but it hasn't stopped millions of religious people from doing so.

Quote:OK except that atheists like Emma Goldman flocked to watch the working people take over the world, as if they were holier and more just than the rest of us sinners. I guess not.

So? She was atheist, but also an anarchist. Stalin was atheist, but also a paranoid nutter. You can't equate atheism with such atrocities unless you demonstrate that such acts are inevitable, or much more likely, given atheism alone, taking other factors like political beliefs into account.

Quote:That's a rather hackneyed, rhetorical argument itself, which requires us to discuss whether Flew's NTS fallacy came out of thin air and why it doesn't appear in any classic logic book. That said, Luther's writings were used to justify anti-semitism.

So, are you denying that Christian Nazis were true Christians? Or have I misunderstood you? If that's what you mean, then I can just deny that the Communists were true atheists. In fact, I'd argue that they weren't true secular humanists or rationalists, as they adhered to an irrational pseudo-scientific theory (Marxism) and followed it blindly, without evaluating it rationally.

Quote:Yet it does matter what Jesus said and whether Christians followed it. Obviously Hitler never read Paul's warnings about persecuting Jews, or what Jesus said about his "brethren". And it is simple-minded IMO to just burn all the Christians at the stake, ignore the amazing social contributions of Protestants who hate to brag, and say it doesn't really matter what Jesus siad or who followed it. If Marx wasn't followed by one claiming to be a Communist, then I would say s/he was no true Communist, or an ignorant one. I don't believe everybody who tells me they are a true patriot. Do you?

I'm not denying that Christians have done good things. Probably the ones who do outweigh those who don't. It's just that blowing up an abortion clinic is more significant than running a church fete. And clearly the Nazis didn't follow Jesus' teachings. However, some of Jesus' actions were less than wonderful (Matthew 15:26; he refuses to help a non-Jewish woman). Plus, the OT is positively riddled with horrific examples of ethical guidance.

(August 8, 2010 at 1:38 pm)RAD Wrote: Way behind the Christians, eg in Paine's case, about 70 years behind the Quakers and 30 years behind the Methodists on slavery. Four Quaker men came out against slavery in 1680, with a Quaker woman objecting about 1670. And then we have Fox, accused of sounding like a walking NT, arguing for whomen's rights in court. BTW Voltaire was justifying slavery about the time Wesley called it "the scourge of the earth."

I wasn't talking about slavery, but the Enlightenment in general. Prominent figures in the Enlightenment were largely skeptics, either deists, agnostics, or sometimes atheists. If we're talking about things like women's rights, then we must consider the contributions of people like the utilitarian John Stuart-Mill. Of course, religious people did argue for women's and slaves' rights before non-believers, but that was likely given that were no, or hardly any, non-believers around for most of history. Until recently, religion's hold has been only negative in terms of liberties, which is understandable given Biblical teachings on such matters. Exodus 21:21 allows the beating of slaves, while Paul says that women must be silent in church. Jesus, meanwhile, says nothing on such matters, when surely a little guidance would have helped.

Quote:As for Jefferson, any idea why he called three Christians "the greatest," leaders "in the moral sciences."?

Nope. Who cares? Jefferson doesn't speak for me.

Quote:Fine. But other theories of the universe, dark matter, particle theory don't work without 11 dimensions, which means you can understand less, not more, than you did before. No?

I'm not a scientist, but, as I understand it, dark matter isn't really an explanation, just a name for whatever makes up most of the universe. If by 'particle theory' you mean string theory, then this is far from universally accepted.

'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread
RE: If faith works how every religion says it works...... - by The Omnissiunt One - August 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Every person is religious Ahriman 289 13709 November 2, 2023 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: no one
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3983 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Islam itself says Muhammad is a liar Woah0 41 3311 August 27, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1286 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 990 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 11607 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Every f-ing year JWs knock on my door. Brian37 62 5691 July 10, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 13537 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Every Apologetic Argument Ever YahwehIsTheWay 21 2789 December 1, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
Thumbs Up Taoism Says That Everything Has an Opposite Philos_Tone 37 4553 November 20, 2018 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda