Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential
RE: The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential
Psh, cmon bud, you know I don't fret over that kind of shit, no apology necessary.  In any case, the employment of the term computational competence was to separate that from consciousness even if only as a matter of categorization.  I think you're tilting at dennet like a windmill, but, as I've said, your issues with dennet are your issues with dennet.  Though it might be helpful for you to know that dennet likes to employ the terms competence and comprehension to differentiate between what we do subconsciously and what we do consciously. If you, for example..think that computational competence is not consciousness, well..you and dennet agree.

Our issue, the only thing I commented on in your op, is the notion of selective neutrality in the case of possession of consciousness.  I don't think it's useless, and I don't agree that such a conclusion follows from a one line item...even if that one line item means alot to us and is a subject of deep interest....even if that one line item was traditionally conceived of as the role of consciousness in the human organism.

It need not be -that-...to be useful, to confer advantage.  It need not be the only way to achieve whatever it does to confer advantage, and it very certainly could have evolved as a side effect of some other thing (like..say, computational competence and general intelligence).   Wings weren't intitially a flight adaptation, either. Flight..at some point, becomes a "mere side effect" of a particular type of wing...but if we limit biological utility of wings to flight then all swimming and flightless birds have useless wings.

That doesn't track with what we understand about selection or adaptation, at all. It's a function of tunnel vision, a narrow definition that excludes all other utility by fiat in favor of "control" or "free will". If all consciousness did was make you comparatively more fuckable..it would have evolutionary utility just like display feathers that can't fly. In order for the "science to be on your side" on the claim of selective neutrality, on the issue of evolutionary utility......consciousness could not, itself...whatever it is... be even partially responsible for any advantageous thing.

I sometimes like to joke that, if consciousness were the "free willing" mechanism we thought it was for so long... it might actually -be- deleterious.  It;s a good thing I can't choose or decide to stop my heart, for example.  Plenty of us would have done it out of incompetence, curiosity, sheer boredom, or just plain bad luck and fumbling mental button fingers....long, long ago.  That said, the benefits of a truly free agency might override that specific (hypothetical) risk, anyway.  Just as the benefits of a consciousness would appear to override the many inherent flaws in our perception thereof (or flaws in itself) and the many ways that a self consciousness works counter-productively in human populations (and privately, within the human organism).

Science, as you used for an example..seems at least partially dependent on consciousness (at least for now..)..and the posession of tools that can create something like that would -seem- to be immensely useful in propagating the humane genome. While consciousness may possess no computational utility (I doubt this as well..but I'm running with it to avoid truly useless disagreement), evolutionary utility is a whole different bag of worms, don't you think? Can you look at the civilization around you, all of it, all of human civilization...this monolithic edifice to human consciousness (however imperfectly described or known), and convince yourself that it conferred no reproductive advantages whatsoever?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential - by The Grand Nudger - April 22, 2018 at 6:57 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5591 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1438 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3608 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism? FlatAssembler 36 2125 June 23, 2023 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1617 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1080 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13039 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Metaethics Part 1: Cognitivism/Non-cognitivism Disagreeable 24 1554 February 11, 2022 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2650 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7212 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet