Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think there's a point to your existence??
Do you think there's a point to your existence??
I'm a newly converted atheist but I've always wondered what the meaning of life is, if there is one. I used to ascribe to the adage, "only god knows" but I now realize that that is just a cliche for 'who the hell knows?' So I'm just curious, Do you think there's any point to your existence?

I listen to Earkhart Tolle and he believes that the meaning of our existence is a coming into consciousness; a sort of spiritual evolution of the universe. I don't know about that. It still leads one to wonder, what is the point of evolving? Although if I were to strictly speak for the existence here on earth evolution does seem to be the driving force.
RE: Do you think there's a point to your existence??
The point to life is to live. Nothing more and nothing less. Each individual can find purposes and causes to dedicate themselves to if they wish, but that has nothing to with life itself.
The point of evolving is you die otherwise. You may think dying is no big deal if there is no point to existence. But if you think like that your descendants probably won't be around to argue your point during the next generation.

So by default, the world will move towards the state which regard life as in effect worth living even if there is no meaning, because all those who doesn't will be, huh, gradually disenfranchised.
My purpose is to raise my kids, attempt monogamy (shudders), make people laugh (much funnier irl). Purpose is what you want it to be, but the underlying factor is that there is no point to life.
I intend to learn as much as I can before I play dead for real Tongue
Be happy, seek knowledge.

If I'm feeling generous, make others happy and pass on knowledge.
Writer for Deity Shmeity
Existence is void of meaning, and that's what makes it wonderful.

You can give your own life meaning, a reason to continue, a purpose, a dream. One of the greatest things about liberation from religious beliefs is that you realise you are no puppet of a god, you are your own destiny, and there is no fate but what you make for yourself.

Religion never could give me such comfort.
What is the point of the appendix in our body? Nothing. Its there just because its there. If it was not there, would people be questioning the non-existence of it? Or what is the point of having 32 teeth? If it was just 31, would people be questioning the non-existence of that "extra tooth"? The same question can be extended to almost anything... why does it exist in the way it exists?

The answer is simple. There is absolutely no purpose of things existing in the way it exists. It just came to be though the delicate balance of evolution and the intricacies of the universe.
(March 26, 2012 at 5:07 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: the underlying factor is that there is no point to life.

That concept is so foreign to me. I guess I wonder why happiness is so important to people if there is no point to it all. That probably doesnt make any sense; i've never thought about this in great detail before, but emotions seem to have a point and drive us in a certain direction. Our emotions seem to serve a very distinct purpose so I find it confusing that there would be no point to life.
(March 26, 2012 at 5:14 pm)Blanca Wrote: That concept is so foreign to me. I guess I wonder why happiness is so important to people if there is no point to it all. That probably doesnt make any sense; i've never thought about this in great detail before, but emotions seem to have a point and drive us in a certain direction. Our emotions seem to serve a very distinct purpose so I find it confusing that there would be no point to life.

Ever heard of chemical reactions in the brain.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 5391 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3084 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 10062 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6191 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheism and the existence of peanut butter R00tKiT 721 49154 November 15, 2022 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15890 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 985 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3016 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information The Best Logique Evidence of God Existence Nogba 225 24233 August 2, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: comet
  Your point of living? joe90 82 10742 May 9, 2019 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir