Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are Christians against evolution?
Why are Christians against evolution?
Hi, here goes.

I'm a philosophy and theology student in the UK, and the more I study the more I struggle to understand why (some) Christians have a problem with evolution. I think there's no reason why we shouldn't come at it looking at the evidence like everyone else - and there are much more important things to worry about! I thought I'd investigate some of the reasons and try to put together an article on why Christianity doesn't require a rejection of evolutionary theory. Basically, I'd like to look at the arguments for a Christian rejection of evolution one by one and dismiss them. The ones I've come up with so far are:

1: Evolution contradicts the Bible ('we can't say the earth is 6000 years old')
2: Evolution insults human dignity ('we can't say we're different from animals')
3: Evolution defeats arguments to design (we can't say 'God made that!')
4: Evolution leaves no room for the doctrine of the Fall (we can't explain where right and wrong come from)
5: Religion and Science are naturally conflicting ('whose side are you on?')

So my questions are: Have you come across other arguments for a Christian rejection of evolution? What are they? Why do birds, suddenly appear, every time, you are near?

Thanks, much appreciated.

Cleanthes
RE: Why are Christians against evolution?
Good question.

Well basically, if Christians accept the ToE, that means the whole Garden of Eden with Adam and Eve never happened, which means there is no original sin therefore the whole Jesus dying at the cross to absolve us from original sin makes no sense.

That is in a nutshell the whole anti-evolution argument.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
That's what I'm trying to get at in point 4 - some people think if we accept evolution we can't explain where sin comes from/started. This puts it better though, thanks.

Any others?

Cleanthes

P.s. When you talk about original sin, it sounds like you might mean inherited sin. Original sin is about humanity's general sinfulness & fallen nature, which began with Adam. Inherited sin is the idea that we all get blamed individually for Adam's sin, even though we didn't do it. I don't think inherited sin is right - it seems obviously unfair and I don't think it fits with the Bible. To be fair, there are a lot of Christians who disagree with me.
No I meant original sin, because as you say:
Quote:Original sin is about humanity's general sinfulness & fallen nature, which began with Adam

If there is no Adam, there is no original sin, so no inherited sin afterwards either.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
OK, fair enough. I wasn't saying the argument isn't valid without inherited sin, I just meant to clarify because a lot of people conflate the two.
In hindsight, I sound a bit patronising there - sorry Blush.

Cleanthes
(June 5, 2009 at 4:30 pm)Cleanthes Wrote: When you talk about original sin, it sounds like you might mean inherited sin. Original sin is about humanity's general sinfulness & fallen nature, which began with Adam. Inherited sin is the idea that we all get blamed individually for Adam's sin, even though we didn't do it. I don't think inherited sin is right - it seems obviously unfair and I don't think it fits with the Bible. To be fair, there are a lot of Christians who disagree with me.

Adam and Eve are fictions (except for Mitochondrial Eve of course).

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Oops, I forgot Smile

Anyway, you're going to have to make concessions - my irrational brain can't keep track of everything at once!
(June 5, 2009 at 5:07 pm)Cleanthes Wrote: Anyway, you're going to have to make concessions - my irrational brain can't keep track of everything at once!

Concessions? Such as?

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Heh.

Well, coming from a theistic viewpoint I'm bound to make occasional slips like the one above - assuming that Adam and Eve existed etc.. I suppose among some of the Christians I'm used to talking to I can take that kind of thing as a given and get on with the discussion.
I'm not saying it's not valid to challenge me on it - of course it is, and it's very important to do that. Keeps me on my toes! I can't be making those kind of assumptions here.
However, if it happens every time I assume God exists or something for the purposes of argument/explanation, then things will tend to get off-topic very quickly and I'll get confused.
So I suggest a bit of give and take. I'll do my very best to avoid or qualify those kind of assumptions, but if one slips through the net you call me out on it without getting too cross with me!
I guess you could take this as a kind of general apology and plea for clemency in advance for those kind of mistakes.
To be fair, it's not as though you had a go at me above - I have no reason to suppose you won't be nice - right..?

Cleanthes
I'm not sure why I'd try to convince anyone that evolution and Christianity are compatible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13116 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7809 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17578 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4777 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3927 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 14997 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  For Christians (or anyone else) who deny Darwinian evolution. Jehanne 334 44527 November 6, 2017 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? Fake Messiah 52 19120 June 28, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Why are Christians obsessed with Gay people? Cecelia 109 18133 January 29, 2017 at 1:37 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  There's a Reason Why Christians do Stupid Things Rhondazvous 37 6997 October 26, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous