Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prayer?
Prayer?
Does everyone know the difference between chanting, petition and prayer? More often than not when people say they 'pray' they are actually petitioning God for things they want. Making Prayer little more than a formal wishing cermony. God is not a magical genie who's job it is to grant you wishes. Nor is He obligated to hear or respond to wishes.

At the same time Prayer is not a rehearsed or practice chant. Christ says the Father hates these meaningless many worded chants. at first glance the Lord's prayer is one of these chants, but upon closer inspection we find an outline rather than a perscribed word for word prayer/chant.

Does anyone want to know or discuss the formula behind the outline? It will transform a wishing cermony into a prayer that God will respond to.
RE: Prayer?
Yes, I am curious as to how you are going to use special pleading to justify something that you approve of.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Open the door to invite a sermon? How can I refuse?

No, thanks anyway.
Strange, he seems to be in the wish granting business at least some of the time. I mean hell, if he couldn't do something simple like find your car keys....useless as tits on a boar.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
[Image: 13271-PRAYER-How_to_do_nothing_and_still...elping.jpg]
Drich Wrote:Does anyone want to know or discuss the formula behind the outline? It will transform a wishing cermony into a prayer that God will respond to.
I'm interested in listening to what you have to say. What do you see as the formula?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(August 3, 2012 at 12:16 am)Drich Wrote: Does everyone know the difference between chanting, petition and prayer?

I read the rest of your post, couldn't have cared less, but had to respond to this. Chanting is not what you think it is, neither are you correct in your interpretation of "repetitive prayer". Go ask a priest what that phrase originally meant and get back to me. Hint: It had to do with people uttering prayers for no reason other than that they had been taught. Which is why it actually translates as "vain repetition". It also ties into the fact that they believed the other people were praying to a non-existent god or gods so their prayers could of course never be answered.

Chanting in any religion is supposed to be used to open the mind by helping one drown out distractions and focus only on that subject they wish to be focused on, i.e. God, Enlightenment, etc. You again were confused when you connected chanting with vain repetition. They are not at all the same thing and it is Christian arrogance to link the two. Chanting has been an integral part of religions the world over for much longer than the Jesus mythology has been around. It is a time honored tradition that has nothing to do with supplication but is a meditative tool.

Now you are bang on about petition and the fact that most people who are religious almost always pray only as a petition for special favor. I saw this time and again when I was going to church and it always struck me as funny and a little sad.

Since this is in the religion sub-forum I have no problem discussing this with you. But be prepared to hear a different opinion based on someone who has been involved with, and studied different religions since he was 13 and is now 27. I don't back down from a fight if I know I am right, but I am open minded and willing to listen to your side so long as you aren't trying to shove it down my throat. Also if I am wrong and you have valid resources I will be more than happy to learn. So if you would like we can discuss. It's up to you.
"Stop chasing your tail and relax. Jesus is watching you make shit up." Shell B to CliveStaples

(July 21, 2012 at 12:31 am)cato123 Wrote:
(July 21, 2012 at 12:22 am)C.W. Sims Wrote: I for one, as a homo, must say that if he was a homo, then he had to have looked fabulous on that cross. Nearly naked, body all ripped, oh wait.... yeah, never mind. I'm gonna just stop right there before I offend anyone. ROFLOL

I have a certain distaste for the emoticons, and particularly despise the laughing/rolling dude when used in response to one's own statement, but.....

Holy fuck that was funny! "Nearly naked, body all ripped,....". Oh, fuck me. I'm still laughing but can no longer piss myself since I've emptied the tank.
(August 3, 2012 at 12:34 am)Rhythm Wrote: Strange, he seems to be in the wish granting business at least some of the time. I mean hell, if he couldn't do something simple like find your car keys....useless as tits on a boar.

Dont forget, sometimes the answer to a prayer is in the form of;

...''no ''

or

...''not now''

or

...''here, take this instead - it's better'''

I also like that other (biblical) word for prayer - meditation.

Meditation has definite health benefits.
(August 3, 2012 at 1:03 am)Lion IRC Wrote:
(August 3, 2012 at 12:34 am)Rhythm Wrote: Strange, he seems to be in the wish granting business at least some of the time. I mean hell, if he couldn't do something simple like find your car keys....useless as tits on a boar.

Dont forget, sometimes the answer to a prayer is in the form of;

...''no ''

or

...''not now''

or

Why do you get to hear voices in your head?!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(August 3, 2012 at 1:03 am)Lion IRC Wrote: Dont forget, sometimes the answer to a prayer is in the form of;

...''no ''

or

...''not now''

or

Sure, it's better than getting syphilis but not as good as aspirin.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help prayer to get maaried soon for my mom heath.! meboxem166 21 2683 April 1, 2023 at 5:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The Catholic Church has a prayer app zebo-the-fat 5 625 January 21, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Intercessory prayer is pointless RobbyPants 93 9920 October 27, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Group prayer on Skype on behalf of our Christian members I_am_not_mafia 132 15974 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  God limits himself to working through prayer phoenix31 14 3520 January 28, 2017 at 1:26 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The problem with prayer. Gawdzilla 286 23827 August 31, 2016 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Incognito
Heart The power of prayer JBrentonK 87 14801 October 16, 2015 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Stupid, selfish prayer requests Aroura 13 4291 May 31, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  Fallacies in an "Answered Prayer" explanation? Clueless Morgan 33 7414 April 26, 2015 at 1:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheist surprised when god answered his prayer Foxaèr 74 14603 March 16, 2015 at 11:11 am
Last Post: KevinM1