Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to live as an Atheist in a Christian family
Sad 
how to live as an Atheist in a Christian family
I am 19 years old, a college student, and I am an Atheist living in a Christian family. They all know, and they are all livid about it. My mom isn't terrible, but my father makes me go to church twice a week, once to talk to this man from church who is a professor at a Christian university. He is constantly trying to engage me in debates so that he can re-convert me, though he keeps failing miserably. I am currently in Texas for a week with my uncle, who I have learned was told by my father to talk to me about all of this. They are all absolutely abusive to me, laughing at me, calling me names, and degrading me. I have been looking for a job for months, but so far to no avail, and as I have no friends with an open room, for now I have to stay at my house. I'm absolutely miserable, and I'm at my wit's end. I don't know what else to say to them, because no argument, no matter how valid, will keep them from laughing at me, and they insist upon talking about this 3 times a day. Can anyone help me?
"I don't want to go to heaven. None of my friends are there." -Oscar Wilde
RE: how to live as an Atheist in a Christian family
Fake it...it's not like it's going to matter if you already don't believe.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(July 1, 2013 at 7:54 pm)Polaris Wrote: Fake it...it's not like it's going to matter if you already don't believe.

At this point, they would know if I was faking. That's not really an option.
(July 1, 2013 at 7:54 pm)elizabeth_the_skeptic Wrote:
(July 1, 2013 at 7:54 pm)Polaris Wrote: Fake it...it's not like it's going to matter if you already don't believe.

At this point, they would know if I was faking. That's not really an option.

How would they know if you were faking though? I have Republicans in my family and I make it look as if I'm no where as leftist (in reality, she's a moderate compared to me) as my cousin they always rag on. It just fakes life easier.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(July 1, 2013 at 7:58 pm)Polaris Wrote:
(July 1, 2013 at 7:54 pm)elizabeth_the_skeptic Wrote: At this point, they would know if I was faking. That's not really an option.

How would they know if you were faking though? I have Republicans in my family and I make it look as if I'm no where as leftist (in reality, she's a moderate compared to me) as my cousin they always rag on. It just fakes life easier.

Well I've made it very clear that I'm an Atheist, so if I suddenly started agreeing with them, they'd be very suspicious.
(July 1, 2013 at 8:08 pm)elizabeth_the_skeptic Wrote: Well I've made it very clear that I'm an Atheist, so if I suddenly started agreeing with them, they'd be very suspicious.

Fundamentalists are not that smart. They would automatically assume that their talks with you have worked, that going to church has worked, and they would praise their magical sky daddy as though a miracle had been wrought.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 1, 2013 at 8:08 pm)elizabeth_the_skeptic Wrote:
(July 1, 2013 at 7:58 pm)Polaris Wrote: How would they know if you were faking though? I have Republicans in my family and I make it look as if I'm no where as leftist (in reality, she's a moderate compared to me) as my cousin they always rag on. It just fakes life easier.

Well I've made it very clear that I'm an Atheist, so if I suddenly started agreeing with them, they'd be very suspicious.

Since they're in Texas, you can fool them. Just do it subtly over a few weeks.

Mind anyone reading this, this would not work if your family tends to be the intelligent Christians...they don't buy it for a second.
Unfortunately, my father and uncle are actually very intelligent. Which is ironic, seeing as they're Christian. But there's pretty much no way to fool them.
Ironically, belief or lack thereof has no bearing on intellect.

It seems you have only one option. Keep fighting. If they are as smart as you claim, eventually they will understand that you are an atheist and that no amount of proselytizing or indoctrination is going to change that.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Agreed....some of the most intelligent people I have met have been religious whether they were Christians, Jews, or Moslems...the predominant faiths of the university I attended, which surprised me that so many going to a university of that caliber would be religious and that their faith would increase as they were exposed to new ideas.

On them accepting her atheism, just because someone is intelligent does not mean they will be the most reasonable.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1827 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2386 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5359 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Thanksgiving and Family BrokenQuill92 18 3150 December 7, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe EgoDeath 40 4913 November 19, 2019 at 2:07 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Christian Post rejoices that atheist Lawrence Krauss is guilty of sexual misconduct Alexmahone 11 2170 August 12, 2018 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  How religious or nonreligious is your family? Casca 44 4327 December 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: camlov2019
  A Muslim, a Jew, a Christian, and an atheist walk into a coffee shop... Mudhammam 57 12166 November 3, 2016 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  I Walked Away From Christianity, but How do I Walk Away From My Family? Rhondazvous 14 2811 October 31, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7034 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist