Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ages of Athiests
Ages of Athiests
Hi Folks,

It seams rather strange to me but it looks like the common age group of Atheists on this site is around 16 - 25. Is there anything to be read from this? E.g. Perhaps Rebellion?

Or are there older people here who are in the shadows - Just I've been wondering why we have never seen many older Atheists.

Cheers,
Rants and Raves from an Ex-Christian http://walkofthemonkeyman.blogspot.co.uk/
RE: Ages of Athiests
Why do you want to know how old I am?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I think quite a few of the members here are older. And by "older" I of course mean quite young. 30's-50's, you know. Young.

I'll let them explain why you don't see too many "out and proud" "older" Wink atheists. I only have a theory.
No creator in the heavens above (I am the lightning)
Rest your weary mind
No demons in the furnace below (I am the frenzy)
I have realized I AM GOD
(September 26, 2013 at 5:00 am)themonkeyman Wrote: Or are there older people here who are in the shadows - Just I've been wondering why we have never seen many older Atheists.

IT's becuase they've been harvested for their organs.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Minimalist, Kichi and zen will disagree...
(September 26, 2013 at 6:19 am)pocaracas Wrote: Minimalist, Kichi and zen will disagree...

Maybe they're the ones harvesting the organs...
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

See It just makes me think that perhaps my athiesm is because I havent the knowledge to believe - Where as as a I grow older I will understand I dont need this knowledge?

I'm just wondering why theres a a gap between 18-30 and then not alot of people on these fourms over and above that.
Rants and Raves from an Ex-Christian http://walkofthemonkeyman.blogspot.co.uk/
(September 26, 2013 at 6:32 am)themonkeyman Wrote: See It just makes me think that perhaps my athiesm is because I havent the knowledge to believe - Where as as a I grow older I will understand I dont need this knowledge?

I'm just wondering why theres a a gap between 18-30 and then not alot of people on these fourms over and above that.

Maybe it's to do more with the ability of users? Younger people tend to be on the internet in greater numbers than older people (there are always exceptions to this rule, however).

We have grown up with the internet and it's second nature to us. This isn't always true of older people. My nan is an atheist, but I doubt she'd know how to even turn a PC on let allone contribute to a forum discussion.

The only knowledge you need to 'believe' is the knowledge that there are other sources of knowledge out there you're willing to ignore to maintain your belief.

(September 26, 2013 at 5:00 am)themonkeyman Wrote: Hi Folks,

It seams rather strange to me but it looks like the common age group of Atheists on this site is around 16 - 25. Is there anything to be read from this? E.g. Perhaps Rebellion?

Or are there older people here who are in the shadows - Just I've been wondering why we have never seen many older Atheists.

Cheers,

1. Is that the most common age group? What's your data? It should be fairly easy to get, if you ask enough people nicely enough Angel

2. Even if your base assumption is true, the best you can hope to do is illustrate a correlation. The root cause(s) might be the demographic split for 'propensity to use the internet' or 'propensity to participate in forums'; it's not necessarily 'propensity to be atheistic'.

3. Once again, assuming your basis to be true, it's a massive jump to infer 'youthful rebellion' as an underlying trend. It could be that 'modernisation of society' or 'more people are better educated' is the real influencing factor.

4. On this site, I've seen plenty of 'older' (>25yo) atheists but I don't know what the exact percentage is. My estimate is 60/40 (<25/>25). It could be that you're suffering some compensation bias (maybe I am, too!).
Sum ergo sum
Now listen here Sonny. Don't be thinking you is the first generation what found atheism.

48 as it happens - just like everyone I know who is my age. Many of us are atheists.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Athiests are bitter? Soldat Du Christ 60 11664 April 14, 2017 at 2:06 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  christian looking to understand athiests msid 212 33844 August 21, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  A question for all you converted athiests! coolfunkDJ 53 8956 March 1, 2015 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Why do Athiests require 'proof' that God exists? JesusLover 220 82636 May 16, 2012 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Chaostheosis
  Questions for Athiests/Agnostics Eternity 16 7566 June 8, 2011 at 1:39 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Athiests make me laugh JesusLovesUs 19 9726 May 26, 2009 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet