Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sod's Law
Sod's Law
Although I consider myself a strict rationalist, there is one universal quasi-religious belief which life has taught me to take seriously: Sod's Law, aka Murphy's Law: If anything can go wrong, it will.
The standard experiment to prove it is as follows - Drop a large number of slices of buttered toast onto an expensive carpet and an equal number onto a wipe-clean surface. Many more slices will land buttered-side down on the carpet, proving Sod's Law. If they don't, the experiment has failed, thus equally proving Sod's Law.
There are dozens of other formulations of this law; e.g. for electronics hobbyists: 'All component leads are 3mm too short.'
Do you believe in Sod's law, and what's your favourite version?
Only sheep need a shepherd.
RE: Sod's Law
(November 30, 2009 at 6:59 am)Pope Alfred Wrote: Although I consider myself a strict rationalist, there is one universal quasi-religious belief which life has taught me to take seriously: Sod's Law, aka Murphy's Law: If anything can go wrong, it will.
The standard experiment to prove it is as follows - Drop a large number of slices of buttered toast onto an expensive carpet and an equal number onto a wipe-clean surface. Many more slices will land buttered-side down on the carpet, proving Sod's Law. If they don't, the experiment has failed, thus equally proving Sod's Law.
There are dozens of other formulations of this law; e.g. for electronics hobbyists: 'All component leads are 3mm too short.'
Do you believe in Sod's law, and what's your favourite version?

No, because it's not a law... It is far more correct to say "If anything can go wrong then there is a chance it will" but we can never guarantee anything, not even eventual failure.
It's, occasionally, humorous. But it's basically just nonsense and I got bored of its humour years ago, sorry, lol.

EvF
(November 30, 2009 at 9:13 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: It's, occasionally, humorous. But it's basically just nonsense and I got bored of its humour years ago, sorry, lol.

EvF

Quite hypocritical ending that statement with a 'lol' Smile
(November 30, 2009 at 9:40 am)theVOID Wrote: Quite hypocritical ending that statement with a 'lol' Smile
Oh, well - that's Sod's Law. Big Grin
I don't get it.

Lol.

EvF
(November 30, 2009 at 9:51 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I don't get it.

Lol.

EvF

Meaning me or Alfred? Because i don't get how that was exemplary of Sods law either...
I don't get either!!

EvF
(November 30, 2009 at 9:51 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I don't get it. Lol. EvF
Just me being silly, as usual. FSM Grin
Bless the FSM, ramen.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For those who understand the law better than me (would you want it this way too?) Foxaèr 9 1150 July 27, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Please help me understand this Indian "law" Alexmahone 18 2332 July 25, 2018 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Enlightenment with the sod Edwardo Piet 5 322 December 24, 2017 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Some advice on how to deal with a "interesting" brother in law NuclearEnergy 21 5579 July 3, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Apple and the law Aractus 2 647 March 20, 2014 at 7:16 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Marijuana and the law Ryantology 102 16840 September 28, 2013 at 11:25 am
Last Post: Walking Void
  Russia: MP calls for law allowing gays to be whipped in public squares Gooders1002 14 3834 August 9, 2013 at 11:54 am
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus
  Can somebody who knows UK Business law help me? Gooders1002 7 1651 December 9, 2012 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Words, and law and idiots. Brian37 24 8828 June 17, 2012 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Hope law system improves zentor 3 1390 April 23, 2012 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Violet