Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Who does an atheist lean on in times of trouble?
Who does an atheist lean on in times of trouble?
I'm aware of who the Christians go to in times of trouble. Do atheist have a shelter? A place of safety? From what I've read and it's easy to look up atheist are far more likely to commit suicide than others . The atheist has no place to run.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
RE: Who does an atheist lean on in times of trouble?
(December 20, 2014 at 7:00 am)strawdawg Wrote: I'm aware of who the Christians go to in times of trouble. Do atheist have a shelter? A place of safety? From what I've read and it's easy to look up atheist are far more likely to commit suicide than others . The atheist has no place to run.

I usually go to Kauri Cliffs. Lovely place.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The suicide thing is a dodgy statistic. You have to consider that atheists are a minority, and a pin prick minority in some places. The amount of persecution, exile or plain threat of death they endure understandably raises suicide rates.

So don't take that statistic too seriously.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Not to mention the amount of atheists who aren't "out" that can't be accounted for.

I talk to my friends and family, to answer the OP. Or, lose myself in a hobby where I can sort of meditate on the problem.

What's interesting to me is that the "God" that exists in the theist's mind, the one theists talk to, is nothing but a mental construct in which (not "in whom") they place their confidence and their worries. He's made up of empathy, theory of mind, and attributed with a reassuring authority. I can see that creating this personal god in your mind could actually have tangible benefits, such as pushing past hardships, or passing the buck (not stressing over something). The interesting thing is that atheists could do the same thing; we would just not call it "God", and we'd have an understanding of what was actually going on.

Another interesting thought- If an atheist does make a mental construct similar to what a theist does with God, but knows it is nothing more than a character in their mind that isn't separate fom the mind, would it have the same effect? Would the atheist reap any of the benefits, like passing the buck, or any other problem dealing with uncertainty and stress?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
What the fuck are you talking about in your OP?

In times of trouble you go to friends and family like everybody does.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
When I'm feeling overwhelmed, I've discovered that I can enter a meditative state with almost no effort. I just stare at whatever is handy for five minutes and I start noticing colors and other details and forget my problems. (BTW I almost never try to meditate, and I usually don't feel much when I do it. But it really helps when I feel overwhelmed.)

Other times I go for a long walk.

Sleep helps.
There is nothing a bottle of whiskey or 10 can't solve.
Why is it that we hear "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" and "not asking for help is a virtue" from people who believe that the best way to live one's life is to make a habit of begging God for help and guidance?

Stop being lazy and do your own work, moochers.
I am a little confused about the idea of this thread.

I turn to my wife, my pets and my friends (including you guys!) when I need help and support.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Yeah, this place - and Facebook, of all things - has been a real lifesaver for me. And I mean that without hyperbole.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who Do You Think Is The Best Christian Of Our Times? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 1950 January 22, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Drich
  End of Times and career mcolafson 67 13883 October 8, 2016 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ends of times prophecy that I can't shake Won2blv 68 10220 April 3, 2016 at 3:00 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The End Times are Nigh SteelCurtain 28 5583 May 2, 2014 at 1:50 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  So I got in trouble Drich 156 40369 February 1, 2014 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Poll for Christians: Are the End Times imminent? xpastor 98 20586 January 3, 2014 at 7:59 am
Last Post: xpastor
  End Times - Of Crap themonkeyman 9 3377 August 31, 2013 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Pope John Paul II and the trouble with miracles wwjs 14 6364 July 9, 2013 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Full Circle
Tongue Apologetics was much more efficient in ancient times Tea Earl Grey Hot 19 8645 September 14, 2012 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  RC Church "200 years behind" the times Red Celt 13 6610 September 2, 2012 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist