Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Islam a sexist religion?
Is Islam a sexist religion?
Somethings to keep in mind.

1) Islamic courts are controlled by men.
2) Woman doesn't have the right to divorce and must seek a court to grant her divorce for specific reasons other then her just wanting to be divorced or dissatisfaction with the marriage while while the man has the right to divorce.
3) Women must obey the husband
4) Women must seek permission to go somewhere from the husband.

The following hadith I believe exists in both Sunni and Shia sources:

A woman came to the Messenger of Allāh صلى الله عليه واله and said: O’ Messenger of Allāh! What is the right of the husband over the wife? He said to her: She obeys him and does not disobey him, does not give anything in charity from her house except with his permission, she does not keep a voluntary fast without his permission and does not prevent him from herself even if she be on hunchback. She does not leave her house but with his permission; if she leaves without his permission, the angels of the heaven, the angels of the earth, the angels of wrath and the angels of mercy damn her until she returns to her house. So she said: O’ Messenger of Allāh! Who among the people has the greatest right on the man? He said: His parents. She said: Who among the people has the greatest right over the woman? He said: Her husband. She said: So do I have a right over him similar to what he has over me? He said: No, not [even] one in a hundred! She said: By the One Who sent you as a Prophet with the truth, no man shall ever own my neck.
RE: Is Islam a sexist religion?
Isn't that like asking if the sun is bright?

I mean, much of the foundation of Islam appears to be that a man must submit to a woman. That's textbook sexism.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Gee, what do you think dude?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Of course it's sexist. Just like judaism and christianity it has been developed by half nomadic, not very educated, men who saw women as a commodity to sell to the highest bidder.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I think it is sexist, but some people (Muslims) would probably say they are equal but given different roles.
Yeah, you know, "equal but separate".

Hmn...hmn...where have I heard that before....Thinking
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 9, 2015 at 2:50 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I think it is sexist, but some people (Muslims) would probably say they are equal but given different roles.

It's the same mooing that Christians and Jews make. They see the sexes as "equal" because both have roles to fill, which invariably are women being subservient to men. They see conforming to roles as "equality".
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
http://www.islamreview.com/articles/WOME...IBLE.shtml

I especially like being called "uncovered meat." It's very uplifting.
(January 9, 2015 at 2:50 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I think it is sexist, but some people (Muslims) would probably say they are equal but given different roles.

Same with radical jews, same with radical christians. They all take their "wisdom" from the same desert goat herders - to not use a stronger word.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Sure, but these "different roles" are not just cultural positionings based on sex. The man is given power over the woman. That is not equal.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why do I say that Islam is an evil religion? Eclectic 85 7586 November 8, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7799 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Is deceit allowed in Islam to spread the religion? Saik 13 1139 August 20, 2018 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  In 50 years, Islam may be the world's largest religion, according to Pew Alexmahone 2 671 June 25, 2018 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Islam; The religion like I see it (II) WinterHold 26 7626 November 6, 2017 at 10:32 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Islam religion of peace , convert now before you end up in hell Youwait 62 13834 August 3, 2017 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Islam: The Fastest Growing Religion (song) ReptilianPeon 15 3250 January 11, 2016 at 9:16 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Douglas Murray: Islam is not a peaceful religion mralstoner 3 1586 December 30, 2015 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  IS: "Islam was never a religion of peace. Islam is the religion of fighting" Napoléon 11 5443 May 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Is Islam the religion of peace.....pffft....NO dyresand 83 13590 January 12, 2015 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus