Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indonesia to execute six drug offenders
Indonesia to execute six drug offenders
I've been following the Bali Nine story a bit. Only two of those offenders recieved the death penalty. The two, Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumuran are Aussies, and will be executed later this year.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30843441

But first up, six other drug offenders in various cases. Dutch, Vietnamese, Nigerian, etc.... are going in front of two firing squads in Central Java tonight a bit past midnight.

http://news.yahoo.com/indonesia-prepares...35039.html

I'm mixed. I do believe in the death penalty for rape or murder, on a case by case basis. But for drug offenses?

OTOH, it is their sovereign country. Their people. According to a recent survey, drugs are the main crime fear out there. Murder is fourth.

Any thoughts on this event, or even on those two Bali Nine guys?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
RE: Indonesia to execute six drug offenders
When you break the law in a land ruled by primitive fucks you really should not be surprised by the outcome.
(January 17, 2015 at 1:16 pm)Minimalist Wrote: When you break the law in a land ruled by primitive fucks you really should not be surprised by the outcome.

Says someone from Texas?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
There is nearly an infinity of potential crimes to commit, and so to, places to do them. I would think offing a few miscreants with poor cognitive skills might make all the rest try to up their game a bit.
(January 17, 2015 at 1:53 pm)abaris Wrote:
(January 17, 2015 at 1:16 pm)Minimalist Wrote: When you break the law in a land ruled by primitive fucks you really should not be surprised by the outcome.

Says someone from Texas?

Arizona.

(I know....almost as fucked up but we take some solace in the 'almost' part.)
It's too bad, I bet the isle of Flores would be an amazing place to get high. It is an outrage though, I highly doubt that their legal system is all that through. Who's to say that they are even guilty?
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
When in another country, we have to paly by their rules, if we don't then we shouldn't complain whatever the outcome is. They went into that country thinking they could fool that country, but who really is the fool ?.
(January 17, 2015 at 9:21 pm)psychoslice Wrote: When in another country, we have to paly by their rules, if we don't then we shouldn't complain whatever the outcome is. They went into that country thinking they could fool that country, but who really is the fool ?.

Really?? Because it's another country the laws are somehow okay? People on these forums bitch about just about everything that America does and every law in this country. Drugs should be legal everywhere. This is a 'crime' that shouldn't even be punished, much less end someone's life over. My empathy doesn't end with with an imaginary line we call a border.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(January 17, 2015 at 9:26 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(January 17, 2015 at 9:21 pm)psychoslice Wrote: When in another country, we have to paly by their rules, if we don't then we shouldn't complain whatever the outcome is. They went into that country thinking they could fool that country, but who really is the fool ?.

Really?? Because it's another country the laws are somehow okay? People on these forums bitch about just about everything that America does and every law in this country. Drugs should be legal everywhere. This is a 'crime' that shouldn't even be punished, much less end someone's life over. My empathy doesn't end with with an imaginary line we call a border.
I agree with you, well at least for pot anyway, but as I said wrong or right, we all must obey the laws of whatever country we visit, of course we don't have to, but then we should except whatever out come from our not wanting to obey.
(January 17, 2015 at 1:11 pm)c172 Wrote: I've been following the Bali Nine story a bit. Only two of those offenders recieved the death penalty. The two, Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumuran are Aussies, and will be executed later this year.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30843441

But first up, six other drug offenders in various cases. Dutch, Vietnamese, Nigerian, etc.... are going in front of two firing squads in Central Java tonight a bit past midnight.

http://news.yahoo.com/indonesia-prepares...35039.html

I'm mixed. I do believe in the death penalty for rape or murder, on a case by case basis. But for drug offenses?

OTOH, it is their sovereign country. Their people. According to a recent survey, drugs are the main crime fear out there. Murder is fourth.

Any thoughts on this event, or even on those two Bali Nine guys?

The people of Indonesia clearly feel this is a necessary Law. They are a republic with a presidential system, this law has not been forced upon them.

People who commit drug related crime in Indonesia know what to expect. Having said that people are sometimes coerced into being drug mules, I have no idea of the facts surrounding these cases or if there is any doubt as to the soundness of the convictions, it seems on the face of it, there isn't.

Capital punishment has an interesting geographical spread, shared by much of East Africa, almost all of the Middle East, the Indian sub-continent and the Chinese sub-continent (including Japan), most of the Indo/Polynesian isalnds and the USA.

[Image: Capital_punishment.PNG]

Red - Has Capital Punishment
Green - Has Capital punishment only in special cases (war crimes etc.)
Amber - Has a moratorium or has not used capital punishment in the last 10 years
Bluey/green - has no capital punishment
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HIV drug mandate violates religious freedom, judge rules zebo-the-fat 6 982 September 9, 2022 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Trump was just advertising for a drug for COVID; he wasn't sick WinterHold 36 2094 October 17, 2020 at 12:39 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  White Americans are drug dealers and rapists.... Brian37 7 636 March 29, 2020 at 7:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Democratic Drug Den EgoDeath 50 3015 October 2, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Worst Drug Dealer EVER BrianSoddingBoru4 17 701 May 4, 2019 at 1:08 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Drug Executive: It's a moral requirement to charge patients the highest price Divinity 13 810 September 15, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Sessions Tells Prosecutors To Seek 'Most Serious' Charges for low level drug crimes Aegon 19 4223 May 12, 2017 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Arkansas has a drug problem The Grand Nudger 17 1181 April 22, 2017 at 2:58 am
Last Post: dyresand
  President of Phillipeans say he will kill 100,000 drug dealers and addicts. CapnAwesome 46 8884 July 14, 2016 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Ammon Bundy, six others arrested SteelCurtain 79 10220 February 3, 2016 at 3:20 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd