Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism all over TV
Atheism all over TV
First, I want to mention that Lewis Black is the shit. I know The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore isn't so popular at the moment and I can see why, but tonight's (yesterday's: its 3am) episode was pretty great. The topic was Ted Cruz. When Lewis Black was asked his opinion he said something along the lines of "I don't want a president that believes the world is 6,000 years old". Instead of Larry steering the conversation away from that touchy subject, he stayed on it for a bit and criticized creationists. I thought it was pretty fucking awesome. It was pretty inspiring when the entire audience cheered in favor of what was said.

Secondly, CNN ran a special on Atheism. I missed the damn thing and was hoping that somebody here caught it and could share some thoughts. I would be curious to see what they got right and what they got wrong.
RE: Atheism all over TV
Nice! although that they criticize creationism doesn't necessarily mean that they are atheists
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Yeah that's true. I remember them going harder on the crazy ideas of Christianity than my OP tells, but I waited too long to make this thread after viewing it to remember everything they touched on. I was going to wait until I found a video clip to make this thread, but I also wanted to get to the CNN special and ask about that. I got impatient Undecided

I'm probably very premature, but I'm getting really excited about all the exposure atheism is getting on television. They say atheism is popular on the Internet and I see what they mean, but also... I don't really see what they mean. What does it mean to say atheism is popular on the internet? Those same atheists exist in the real world as well. Anyhow, I feel like T.V. exposure is a little more effective. People who wouldn't think to search for atheism on the net will get a chance to dispel some of the myths they hold about us. Then again I didn't get to watch the special, so maybe they found out about all the baby BBQ's that go on. NOBODY WATCHED IT?!?
I suppose atheism being popular on the Internet could point towards the group of people who are "out" online but have to hide it in real life. Just a guess.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I found a recorded live stream of the CNN special. It's an hour long and contains some odd bits of conversations done by whoever recorded the live stream during the commercials, but I just zipped through those. The feed craps out a few times but its not too bad.

I thought they did a pretty fair job of painting atheism. They didn't lean too heavy one way or the other. There isn't anything in it that an atheist wouldn't already be familiar with. The most interesting part to me was an interview with a current priest/atheist that they found throughThe Clergy Project. I also enjoyed the ex-evangelical preacher's story.

Again, nothing too groundbreaking, unless you consider a televised special about atheism that doesn't vilify us and paints us in a pretty fair light groundbreaking.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
That was great; thanks for posting!
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Talking about atheism in any even halfway reasonable way in mainstream media is a good thing. It is a sign that atheists are gaining acceptance. That, of course, does not mean that there is still not a long way to go, but it is an encouraging development.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
My mom sent me some links to stuff about atheism from CNN this week. I was so proud of her! When she describes me as an atheist, she usually whispers, so we've made some steps!
(March 25, 2015 at 7:03 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: My mom sent me some links to stuff about atheism from CNN this week. I was so proud of her! When she describes me as an atheist, she usually whispers, so we've made some steps!

My mother won't use the "a" word. She's used everything from "ex-Catholic" to "fallen Catholic", and I always respond with "She means atheist".

At which point she cringes, especially when introducing me to church friends.

And she hates it that I won't call her priest, "Father". I just call him Bill, since I already have a perfectly good and functioning father.
Dying to live, living to die.
Watched it... america this, america that... Oh, look, Richard Dawkins... back to america this and that...
But I guess it's good... America needs this on such a well known tv channel. The more, the merrier, huh?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the roo knows all the answers to atheism Gummro 44 8210 January 29, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  *trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems? PhilosophicalZebra 143 27111 December 27, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  What atheism is REALLY all about SisterAgatha 71 10326 October 13, 2017 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27151 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  going to give my all to atheism Yoplait 46 8104 June 4, 2015 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12493 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12159 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Atheism doesn't have an upper hand over religion? Foxaèr 5 2441 April 18, 2014 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10504 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12016 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda