Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JUST OPEN YOUR HEART, DAMMIT!
JUST OPEN YOUR HEART, DAMMIT!
Non-theists are often accused of not reading the Bible (or any holy book) with an open heart. Do theists understand what they're asking of atheists when they suggest this? I'm sincerely interested in understanding what reading religious texts "with an open heart" actually means to theists. Non-theists as well. Thanks.
RE: JUST OPEN YOUR HEART, DAMMIT!
It means believe whatever bullshit is printed there.

They are quite stupid, you know.
Doh. Silly heathen. In order to see what the bible really says, you need to read it with an open heart. That is, you need to read it with a presupposition that it says what you already believe it says and, would you know it, you'll be able to find that it actually DOES say what you believe it says!! MIRICUL!!!!!
It means ignore all the torture, rape, murder, degradation, favouritism, mutilition, executions, bizarre practices, arbitrary demands...

By the time you've ignored all that, there's a little bit about building tents and then something about a carpenter who gets a splinter or something.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Um, plunge knife in, begin reading, healed = god, dead = one less atheist to convert.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It's kind of irritating when someone says you won't understand it unless you read it in the spirit of the lord, or something similar. Basically it means reach the conclusion that Yahweh is the One True God, and all that is Good in this sinful universe, and read the bible to know how to follow him. Our problem is we read the bible, and other sources, to see if he's any more real than the rest of the creator gods, and if so do we want to worship him? Evidence points to him not really being all that special, compared to the rest, except that somehow there's a good portion of the population that still worship him. And those followers are killing each other over disagreements about how to worship him.

What I say is when you guys get around to coming to a consensus, get back to me and we'll talk. I don't know how many thousands of more years that will take, but right now it seems the muslims are winning out.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Atheists have this amazing superpower not available to Christians. They can read the actual words in the bible.

It's not my fault the words are all ignorant and horrific. I didn't write it.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
I've always taken this as a suggestion that I give the left side of my noggin a vacay, in order to soak all of the Bible's warm, gooey goodness.
Nah, that won't do it. Even the writing's shitty. Unless you enjoy reading about donkey dicks ಠ_ಠ
I think the Never Ending Story is a better tale, and is more consistent too Tongue

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New way: Open Source Christianity Born in Iran. A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 28 4269 September 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  UMC -- open hearts, open minds. Ha! Jehanne 13 1852 June 24, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Love the Lord your God with all your heart ? Angrboda 144 22494 June 20, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Open letter to Christians Nihilist Virus 82 14316 March 21, 2016 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  My heart is breaking... I thought Christians are suppose to love "unconditionally" kmthang 118 20402 January 6, 2016 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: Brian37
Wink Greetings,I commence open challenge to anyone Grehoman Ebenezer 148 27457 September 25, 2015 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
Lightbulb Open Letter To Christians Cinjin 143 15027 July 11, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: loganonekenobi
  Open Letter to Christians polar bear 48 8426 October 30, 2014 at 8:58 am
Last Post: polar bear
  Open debate: What does Jesus teach? Aractus 130 16255 August 4, 2014 at 8:06 am
Last Post: archangle
  "I prayed to the Lord and God said ‘Open up a pot shop'" null--69 5 2278 February 27, 2014 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace