Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we get a someone posted before you warning?
Can we get a someone posted before you warning?
In most forums that I've seen, if you take a while to type a post and one or more people post in the meantime, a warning will appear telling you that when you hit the post button, so that you can adjust your post accordingly. It's handy. Can we have one of those?
RE: Can we get a someone posted before you warning?
I'm not an expert on forum coding, but I do have a basic understanding of how websites work, and that doesn't seem plausible.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Seriously. Almost every forum I have ever posted on does this. Most of those have been SMF, but that shouldn't matter. When you click on the "post" button, a little warning (much like the "old post" warning we have now) appears and lets you know that others have posted since you clicked "reply" and gives you the opportunity to change your post if needed. I shit you not.
SMF?

Seriously every forum I've ever posted on never does this, so forgive me if I don't understand exactly what you mean and maybe providing an example of this would help.

Ultimately it's not up to me, I don't code the forums, but it may help to show us what you mean.

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
SMF stands for Simple Machines Forum. I'll try to get a screen shot of it and get back to you. It is really quite handy.
Okay, here we go. My wife helped me out at a forum where we used to RP. The warning I'm talking about has a badly painted white arrow pointing to it.

Screenshot
(April 30, 2010 at 5:41 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote: I'm not an expert on forum coding, but I do have a basic understanding of how websites work, and that doesn't seem plausible.

Paul's right. Those are common.

I thought that now you were an Admin you'd be up on all this stuff?

Big Grin
I don't code the site or implement features. That's pretty much all Adrian.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-3032.html

She's right here, mon Smile

Tiberius Wrote:Ah, well I'll politely decline for two reasons:

1) Template conditionals are an interpreted language within an interpreted language...they will always run slowly and cause extra load to the server than is required.

2) I am against making any changes to the source code of MyBB, given that so called "modifications" are usually a pain when updates are made, and MyBB already comes with a well-implemented plugin system that makes modifications obsolete.

If you are able to code a plugin I'll gladly look it over of course

Now that we have a better server: maybe.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
It would be pretty easy to do but alas, I'm really busy with my shareware so it's over to someone else. Perhaps Sae could have a go Big Grin
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(April 30, 2010 at 9:03 pm)Darwinian Wrote: It would be pretty easy to do but alas, I'm really busy with my shareware so it's over to someone else. Perhaps Sae could have a go Big Grin

*Saerules studies how to code for 6 days struggle-time.*

*Wraps her brain around computer language.*

*On first attempt to code said program, Saerules messes everything up in a completely unforeseen, unstable, and unpredictable way.*

*After the first six explosions, she finds that the code has miraculously turned into a functioning piece of software*

*She doesn't call it "Flying Golden Burning Sheep Virus" for any reason in particular Dodgy*

*She sends it to government officials in Russia, America, South Africa, New Zealand, Antarctica, Sol IVa (Luna), Switzerland, North Korea, Alpha Centare (Each planet in the system), and the only three places on SoL IV (Earth) not affected by this virus are the ones she did not send it to... which amounts to South Korea, Iceland, Japan, and Thailand... because she likes gaming and gamers, the climate and language of Iceland, Japanese game developers and anime, and how cheap SRS is in Thailand*

*All is well*
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warning level 50% Dundee 10 1551 November 15, 2020 at 8:52 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Correcting spelling errors after you have posted? Figbash 13 1454 October 7, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Certain I've asked this before Foxaèr 13 1372 October 30, 2017 at 8:49 am
Last Post: emjay
  Someone's been quoting me, but nothing's there. Foxaèr 9 2990 July 19, 2017 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  I can't get my signature to show. Edwardo Piet 7 1844 June 10, 2017 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Can I get an estimate? Foxaèr 7 1041 February 4, 2017 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Can anyone remind me how to follow a thread so that I get reminders for new posts? Whateverist 9 2153 November 21, 2016 at 10:18 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Can't get back to full version LostLocke 3 1178 August 28, 2016 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Warning levels Joods 25 3851 February 26, 2016 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Is there a way to just delete a reputation rating one has given to someone? Pyrrho 22 5998 May 3, 2015 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: Napoléon