Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harris' take on the recent events in Paris
Harris' take on the recent events in Paris
Here, Sam talks a bit about what happened and then reads an essay he wrote over an year ago, which I find cuts right to the heart of the problem, as always. I thought I'd post this and get your thoughts on it. I hope I don't regret it.

http://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/st...armageddon

Quote:In this episode of the Waking Up podcast, Sam Harris reflects on the recent terrorist attacks in Paris.
RE: Harris' take on the recent events in Paris
I respect Harris. Hes willings to take as many hits as it takes to get his point out there.
EDIT: Hes got a podcast now? I feel old.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
I enjoy and respect him so much but I can't get his site to openly tonite. Will try again later. Thanks for the heads up
When   you   understand  why   you   dismiss   all   the   other   possible   gods,   you  will understand why I dismiss yours. ~Stephen Roberts~
Yeah EP, I'd love to listen, but that link isn't working for me. I think his site is down. I'll try again later.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
He is dead right here, in my opinion.

This ridiculous idea that ISIS is nothing to do with Islam is naive at best and dangerous at worst.

Any oral myth about a particular text containing some sort of magical authority is a very poisonous thing to perpetuate, in just about every way possible. ISIS is easily supported by the Quran and hadiths. Moderate Islam is not, and requires ridiculous mental gymnastics. However people may censor the book in their own minds, they pass on the myth that somehow the whole thing is from God and the horrid words remain the same. Is it any wonder some people actually believe this?

The worse a person is at representing Islam, or indeed Christianity, as presented in their books, the better person they are to a civilised society. The better they are at representing, the worse person they are.

Someone who is already indoctrinated and brainwashed by even moderate Islam is going to be much more vulnerable to being groomed by ISIS than someone who has not been. Would anyone argue with that?

ISIS are living in a grim fairy tale version of reality, but the very idea of fairy tale realities is being perpetuated by these ridiculous oral myths.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I just listened to it.
He was offline not long ago.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(November 16, 2015 at 4:53 am)robvalue Wrote: Someone who is already indoctrinated and brainwashed by even moderate Islam is going to be much more vulnerable to being groomed by ISIS than someone who has not been. Would anyone argue with that?

It is unimaginable that someone who doesn't believe in the crazy religion bullshit would be able to muster the will to join such an organization and do these kinds of atrocities and at the express risk of losing their own lives, mind you.
Guys, I'm sorry. I knew his site had problems but I thought it was over by now. It must've been the increased activity or something.

Here's the soundcloud link to the same episode of the podcast. I hope it works.

https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/stil...walking-01
(November 16, 2015 at 11:30 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: It is unimaginable that someone who doesn't believe in the crazy religion bullshit would be able to muster the will to join such an organization and do these kinds of atrocities and at the express risk of losing their own lives, mind you.

It may be unimaginable, but it's relatively common.  There are tried and true methods for developing combatants, and their own personal ideological leanings are the very least of the resistance that needs to be overcome.  That takes all of a few seconds of close personal interaction.  It's easy to get a persons thinking mind onboard, its a hell of alot harder to get their subconscious to toe the line.  Most people default to posturing to the exclusion of any other activity, and posturing rarely puts bodies in bags. Right after posturing is support. As in, people will load the guns for the more well-developed shooters. Lots of them, even if they aren't, and will never be, shooters themselves.

Risk to ones own life is rarely considered at all, the best way to approach that is to leave it unmentioned. We don't like to think about it, so it takes no effort on the part of the trainer to get a person to ignore it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How literally should we take the Qur'an ? momo666 69 11732 August 7, 2022 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What Do Jihadists Really Want? Waking Up with Sam Harris #43 mralstoner 4 1169 April 13, 2017 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Sam Harris on Orlando, Islam, Trump & the Left mralstoner 1 858 June 20, 2016 at 2:39 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Hirsi Ali on Paris mralstoner 1 857 November 17, 2015 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: mralstoner
  Muslims and Paris Mechaghostman2 3 1195 November 14, 2015 at 5:43 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Sam Harris & Maajid Nawaz on reforming Islam mralstoner 82 11717 October 31, 2015 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  10 dead in Paris after attack on Magazine Fidel_Castronaut 269 27832 February 14, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Take it from a Muslim who's been there Vegamo 8 3825 January 13, 2014 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  You can take a trip in space, to do Shirk! Ksa 0 908 December 13, 2013 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: Ksa
  Take #2 at Fort Hood Minimalist 4 2180 July 28, 2011 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower