Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
christians! Come and convert me!
christians! Come and convert me!
Hello christians, As a former muslim I realized that I may not have enough information about christianity. What I want to see here is your opinions.(no preaching ofc.)
I mean Why do you believe? what are the main reasons that made you believe christianity?
Well of course you can't easily convert me. But I want an objective discussion here I will not be prejudged.
I am an agnostic person. So I agree that your god could be real(slight possibility but yes). But as far as I know, he is the most cruel ass in the universe.
But here, you have the chance to save my soul. Explain to me why your god is not an ass.
here is the deal.
You tell me why do you believe And I ask my questions about it. At the end of the day if you're good maybe you can even convert me..
But there is a possibility for you to become an atheist after this discussion(of course if you're objective enough) "ye be warned."
Quote:Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Gandalf The Gray.
RE: christians! Come and convert me!
I'm not a Christian, but I think I can answer one of you questions regarding why they chose to be Christian.

Let's see, first off, they were most likely taught at an early age so it would stick to them. They were taught from the Bible that there is this omniscient being named God that created everything that there is to see, smell, feel, taste, hear, sense, measure. Of course, if you actually wanted to actually buy into that stuff from Genesis, you'll learn about God creating everything in 6 days and resting on the 7th, even though somehow he took the same amount of time creating both the Earth and Universe (really awkward though). Once you have that engraved in your head, you learn about how faith plays a major role in life (somehow) and you even learn about the "great" teachings taught from the bible like moral values, and you learn how "great" Jesus Christ was when he first walked on the Earth to greet people and to teach them about great things. To prove that Jesus was God himself, his miracles and his walking on water scene and more were spoken of showing off that he's indeed the Heavenly Father because no other human has Supernatural powers like Jesus had. Once they bought into that, there are other things like holy sacrament, salvation, baptism and all of that drama. The Bible makes them feel safe about their beliefs because of an idea called Faith, so no mattter what, they'll always stick with Christianity.

Woah, I think that I sounded a bit like a Christian myself, oh god!
No superstarr you sound nothing like a christian like I said before you have no understanding of the scriptures.
annatar you can't deal for your salvation because salvation is a gift of Grace to be received. If you could deal for it you would have to make the deal with God, salvation is His and His alone to give, so making a deal with christians will do you no good. Apparently you are not being move by the Holy Spirit by the way you've presented yourself and this means you will not be receptive to the replies you might receive. This type of post has been presented before and the best that I can remember no christians responded. Why should we open ourselves to judgment when all you are trying to do is play games.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Quote:you have no understanding of the scriptures.

That's a plus.
I have no problems opening up to my reasons and having an objective discussion. If you drop the pretense then I think it could be a beneficial discussion. I'm not here to convert you nor preach. To answer your question:

I believe in God because:
1- I have faith
2- I see evidence for God in my life, relationships and nature
3- I perceive God's influences as a part of reality
4- This is confirmed in other believers
5- This is confirmed by a multitude of various religious texts
6- I enjoy the sense of community
7- I see personal benefit from following Christianity
8- I see benefit to society from belief in God

probably more but that will suffice from the top of my head.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Quote:What are the main reasons that made you believe christianity?

I'm a recovering Catholic.

Same reason you were a Muslim; accident of birth and being taught as an uncritical child child, accepting whatever aduts told you, no matter how irrational or absurd..

Relatively few human beings ever seriously challenge the beliefs with which they were reared. By that I mean to the point of rejecting them.

I find adult conversion to any faith baffling. I can only conclude such people have deep psychological issues which require a powerful crutch to help them deal with life. Most sane people use alcohol.Angel Cloud

Quote:If you could reason with religious people,there wouldn't be any (Greg House)
(July 4, 2010 at 1:54 am)tackattack Wrote: I have no problems opening up to my reasons and having an objective discussion. If you drop the pretense then I think it could be a beneficial discussion. I'm not here to convert you nor preach. To answer your question:

I believe in God because:
1- I have faith
2- I see evidence for God in my life, relationships and nature
3- I perceive God's influences as a part of reality
4- This is confirmed in other believers
5- This is confirmed by a multitude of various religious texts
6- I enjoy the sense of community
7- I see personal benefit from following Christianity
8- I see benefit to society from belief in God

probably more but that will suffice from the top of my head.

Tack you are the anti-me we must never meet or there will be an explosion I'm tellin ya.Wink Shades

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

1. I believe because I accept what is presented in the bible to be true and I act on that.

2. God isn't an ass when you look at the evidence presented in the bible accurately.
(July 4, 2010 at 5:43 am)fr0d0 Wrote: 1. I believe because I accept what is presented in the bible to be true and I act on that.
That circular thing again.

(July 4, 2010 at 5:43 am)fr0d0 Wrote: 2. God isn't an ass when you look at the evidence presented in the bible accurately.
To worship anyone who isn't an ass is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.

I reckon this isn't gonna convince annatar.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
(July 4, 2010 at 5:43 am)fr0d0 Wrote: 1. I believe because I accept what is presented in the bible to be true and I act on that.

2. God isn't an ass when you look at the evidence presented in the bible accurately.

ROFLOL

OMFG!!!!!!!!

Is that before or after you've "re-interpreted" it to sound peachy keen?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1313 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7783 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink vorlon13 11 2664 August 1, 2017 at 12:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Chris Brown should be come a Christian Tarasoft11 15 2456 September 7, 2016 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31182 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Wikihow "how to convert an atheist" drfuzzy 57 12483 February 24, 2016 at 2:23 am
Last Post: robvalue
Thumbs Down Bible says convert or kill the nonbelievers too. Thumbs down for Christianity... IanHulett 68 18262 January 5, 2016 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Drich
  Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer. SavedByGraceThruFaith 2761 751436 September 6, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How Long Will Christians Wait for the End Time to Come? Rhondazvous 237 35762 September 3, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51124 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho