Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genesis - The Prequel!
Genesis - The Prequel!
Genesis – The Prequel!
A Satirical Look at the Trinity Before Creation.
[WARNING: The following may have been divinely inspired… but God, I hope not.]

JC: Father?
GOD: Jesus Christ! Don’t sneak up on us like that!
JC: Us?
GOD: Yeah. Me and Casper.
JC: Who the hell is Casper?
GOD: That’s what the Holy Ghost wants us to call him now. Says we’ll get the joke in about 13.7 billion years.
JC: Here we go again with the Holy Ghost.
GOD: He’s real, I tell you.
JC: Well, I can’t see him.
GOD: Of course not! He’s a ghost for Christ’s sake! You just have to have faith that he exists.
JC: Faith? As in, belief with evidence?
GOD: Exactly!
JC: That’s just irrational.
GOD: He’s part of us.
JC: You’re talking about the Trinity again, aren’t you?
GOD: Me-damn straight I am! We are three distinct persons in one being, immutable and unalterable forever.
JC: Uh huh. I think You-I-We may suffer from multiple personality disorder.
GOD: What did you just call us?
JC: You-I-We.
GOD: Yahweh?
JC: Close enough.
GOD: I like it!
JC: So, if we always existed together, why am I your “son?”
GOD: Why not?
JC: Because it seems to me, if we always existed together and never existed apart, we’d be more like twin brothers.
GOD: Your just overthinking it. You don’t see Casper complaining, do you?
JC: I don’t see Casper at all! For all I know, he’s just a figment of your imagination!
GOD: Oh, right. Maybe all gods are just figments of someone’s imagination – ever think of that?

GOD & JC [Together]: Nah!
GOD: What did you want, anyway?
JC: I’m bored.
GOD: Bored? Why don’t you go play with the Absolute Nothing?
JC: That’s just it, I can’t find it anywhere.
GOD: Well, it isn’t any “where,” is it? That’s because I haven’t created space yet.
JC: Then where do we exist?
GOD: In a supernatural realm outside of space and time.
JC: I hear the words, but I don’t know what that means.
GOD: I am that I am.
JC: Oh come on! You start saying that whenever your challenged or stumped.
GOD: I’m never stumped. Omniscient, you know.
JC: Right. Then tell me, how long have we both existed.
GOD: Don’t forget Casper.
JC: Fine. How long have all “three” of us existed?
GOD: We have always existed everywhere, eternally and forever.
JC: Aha! Gotcha! You just said we exist outside of space and time. But you can’t have “everywhere” without space, and you can’t have “always” or “eternally” or “forever” without time.
GOD: Well, I mean “space and time” in a qualitative, not quantitative sense.
JC: What the hell does that even mean?
JC: Complete dodge of my question.
GOD: I’ve been thinking of creating a place called, The Universe, where time and space can actually exist.
JC: Hmm. How long have you been thinking of creating this universe?
GOD: I’ve never not had the thought of creating it, since I’m immutable and timeless.
JC: But, absent time, there can never be a moment where you thought of creating the universe prior to actually creating it.
GOD: So?
JC: So! Without time, which at a minimum measures a sequential series of causal events, the instant you conceived of creating the universe would be the same instant the universe was created.
GOD: And?
JC: And, therefore, the universe would have always existed eternally, just like you!
GOD: What’s your point to all this?
JC: I’ll try to make this simple: Either you are subject to some form of time yourself where you can first A) consider creating this universe, which later causes B) the actual act of creation, OR everything gets stacked together in the same instant that space, time, energy, matter – all that will comprise The Universe – is created, in which case you cannot have existed prior. And if you don’t exist prior, and you maintain that The Universe had a beginning, then you shared the same beginning and could not have been the cause of anything. That makes you superfluous and unnecessary.
GOD: Casper disagrees.
JC: On what basis?
GOD: He says we exist in “metaphysical time,” which I get to define as prior to physical time.
JC: And who created this metaphysical time?
GOD: I am the creator of all things, so therefore I must have.
JC: When?
GOD: At some point before metaphysical time existed, obviously.
JC: Let me guess, super-metaphysical time?
GOD: Casper is laughing at you.
JC: Oh, that’s mature. If you can’t form a valid argument for how events will come about in a “timeless” manner prior to the creation of time itself, then I suppose scoffing is the only recourse left to handling your cognitive dissonance.
GOD: But if an actual infinite temporal regress of events cannot exist, I must be both timeless and eternal!
JC: You are just trying to define yourself in such a way to avoid one paradox, while plunging head first into another.
JC: Oh, brother.
GOD: Father!
JC: This is all just special pleading in an attempt to avoid inevitable logical inconsistencies.
GOD: And I will create minions within The Universe in my own image, according to our likeness.
JC: Changing subjects again? Fine. So, these minions of yours will be created to physically resemble us?
GOD: I didn’t say that.
JC: You just said they would be created in your own image and according to our likeness.
GOD: I may mean that metaphorically.
JC: Insufferable! Why can’t you just speak plainly?
GOD: Because then my minions would all agree as to my true nature and desires, finding no need to bicker amongst themselves. That would totally ruin my divine mystique. I want them to form many different religions divided into thousands of competing denominations, each supremely certain as to the validity of their particular faith while smugly deriding all others.  
JC: For what possible purpose?
GOD: For my amusement, of course! I’ll reward those that guess closest to my real meaning, whatever I end up deciding that will be. For now, Casper has his money on the Mormons, but I’m leaning Quaker – we’ll just have to see how I feel come Armageddon. Anyway, don’t worry… it’s all part of my mysterious plan.
JC: Which is?
JC: I should have seen that one coming. So tell me, why can’t you just create your minions here, with us? Wherever this is. Or, wherever this isn’t, absent space and time.
GOD: The minions need to live on one-third of an infinitesimal speck inside a vast, finely-tuned universe designed specifically for them - though entirely hostile to them should they step off their super-tiny speck.
JC: Why not make the entire universe hospitable to them rather than just one super-tiny speck if the whole thing is being created for their benefit?
GOD: Where’s the fun in that?
JC: It seems quite wasteful. Exactly how big will this Universe of yours be?
GOD: Perhaps infinite.
JC: Wait! You just asserted that actual infinites couldn’t exist.
GOD: I’m omnipotent. Wouldn’t be very “all powerful” of me if I were limited to creating only finite Universes, would it?
JC: So you can create The Universe however you see fit?
GOD: Well… actually, no. Casper tells me there’s one and only one way to create The Universe in which my minions can survive. Has to be finely-tuned, don’t you know.
JC: Like following a pre-defined recipe which you have no freedom to deviate from if you want to create your desired outcome?
GOD: Something like that.
JC: The mere fact that you are limited to following this exact recipe in order to create a finely-tuned universe suggests this recipe itself is somehow fundamental, existing independent of you. Furthermore, if you cannot alter this pre-ordained recipe and still achieve your desired outcome, you are hardly “omnipotent.”
GOD: But I will create this universe out of the Absolute Nothing to demonstrate my omnipotence!
JC: Isn’t it paradoxical that this Absolute Nothing could ever even exist? Absent time and space, where did it exist? Nowhere. When did it exist? At no time. Perhaps something, no matter how primitive, always existed, and Absolute Nothing never could.
GOD: Like what?
JC: I don’t know, a quantum vacuum state maybe.
GOD: That’s absurd. Absolute Nothing exists, I tell you, and predates my creation of The Universe!
JC: Well, what about us? Aren’t we, as a three-in-one being, something? I mean, we have an “image” and a “likeness” according to your words. Those are properties of “something” surely. Our very existence would be proof that something has existed eternally, which necessarily would displace the Absolute Nothing.
GOD: I see your confusion. The Absolute Nothing exists in the “natural” realm prior to my creation of a “natural” universe. We exist in the “supernatural” metaphysical realm.
JC: That’s just so much word salad. Who created the “supernatural” realm in which we exist?
GOD: I did, of course.
JC: Where did you exist prior to its creation?
GOD: In a different supernatural realm.
JC: Turtles all the way down.
GOD: What was that?
JC: Never mind.
GOD: I will also create another possibly infinite realm which I shall call Heaven.
JC: There you go with infinities again. Where will this Heaven exist?
GOD: Well, Heaven can mean either the rest of The Universe beyond the minion’s speck, or a supernatural realm which I inhabit.
JC: I’d think you could use different terms to clarify things a bit.
GOD: Divine mystique, remember? Heaven is where I will favor the minions that survive my many trials and abuses on the infinitesimal speck. I will allow these chosen few to genuflect in my presence for all eternity as a reward.
JC: That’s a reward? What about those you don’t like?
GOD: I’ll create yet another supernatural realm which I will call Hell, to torment those I disfavor –  though I won’t torture them directly; that would be evil. Instead, I’ll create evil incarnate in the form of The Devil and delegate the eternal torment to him, allowing me to wash my hands of the entire affair and still be considered “All Good.”
JC: Couldn’t you just forgive these minions any transgressions, given that you are supposed to be “All Loving” and the one making them imperfect and fallible in the first place?  And certainly perpetuating their confusion by remaining hidden behind your “divine mystique” isn’t their fault.
GOD: Nope. No forgiveness! At least, not without a certain blood sacrifice first.
JC: Wait, why are you looking at me like that?
GOD: Oh, you’ll see.
JC: Creepy. So, let me get this straight: you’re envisioning several distinct, possibly infinite universes including The Universe, Heaven, and Hell, each separate and unique unto themselves?
GOD: Perhaps Purgatory and Limbo too!
JC: Kind of like a “multiverse” then.
GOD: NO! Don’t ever say that! It sends Casper into conniptions. We call them “separate realms.”
JC: What’s the difference?
GOD: A multiverse requires evidence to support its actual existence, whereas you can just take anyone’s word that these other supernatural realms exist.
JC: This sounds absolutely ludicrous.
GOD: Which part?
JC: All of it!
GOD: Well, do you have a more plausible way to explain how a three-in-one god could exist timelessly and create The Universe, Heaven, Hell, and all the rest out of Absolute Nothing?

JC: I am that I am.
GOD: That’s what I thought.
RE: Genesis - The Prequel!
(April 22, 2016 at 2:57 pm)Time Traveler Wrote:
Genesis – The Prequel!
A Satirical Look at the Trinity Before Creation.
[WARNING: The following may have been divinely inspired… but God, I hope not.]

JC: Father?
GOD: Jesus Christ! Don’t sneak up on us like that!
JC: Us?
GOD: Yeah. Me and Casper.
JC: Who the hell is Casper?
GOD: That’s what the Holy Ghost wants us to call him now. Says we’ll get the joke in about 13.7 billion years.
JC: Here we go again with the Holy Ghost.
GOD: He’s real, I tell you.
JC: Well, I can’t see him.
GOD: Of course not! He’s a ghost for Christ’s sake! You just have to have faith that he exists.
JC: Faith? As in, belief with evidence?
GOD: Exactly!
JC: That’s just irrational.
GOD: He’s part of us.
JC: You’re talking about the Trinity again, aren’t you?
GOD: Me-damn straight I am! We are three distinct persons in one being, immutable and unalterable forever.
JC: Uh huh. I think You-I-We may suffer from multiple personality disorder.
GOD: What did you just call us?
JC: You-I-We.
GOD: Yahweh?
JC: Close enough.
GOD: I like it!
JC: So, if we always existed together, why am I your “son?”
GOD: Why not?
JC: Because it seems to me, if we always existed together and never existed apart, we’d be more like twin brothers.
GOD: Your just overthinking it. You don’t see Casper complaining, do you?
JC: I don’t see Casper at all! For all I know, he’s just a figment of your imagination!
GOD: Oh, right. Maybe all gods are just figments of someone’s imagination – ever think of that?

GOD & JC [Together]: Nah!
GOD: What did you want, anyway?
JC: I’m bored.
GOD: Bored? Why don’t you go play with the Absolute Nothing?
JC: That’s just it, I can’t find it anywhere.
GOD: Well, it isn’t any “where,” is it? That’s because I haven’t created space yet.
JC: Then where do we exist?
GOD: In a supernatural realm outside of space and time.
JC: I hear the words, but I don’t know what that means.
JC: Oh come on! You start saying that whenever your challenged or stumped.
GOD: I’m never stumped. Omniscient, you know.
JC: Right. Then tell me, how long have we both existed.
GOD: Don’t forget Casper.
JC: Fine. How long have all “three” of us existed?
GOD: We have always existed everywhere, eternally and forever.
JC: Aha! Gotcha! You just said we exist outside of space and time. But you can’t have “everywhere” without space, and you can’t have “always” or “eternally” or “forever” without time.
GOD: Well, I mean “space and time” in a qualitative, not quantitative sense.
JC: What the hell does that even mean?
JC: Complete dodge of my question.
GOD: I’ve been thinking of creating a place called, The Universe, where time and space can actually exist.
JC: Hmm. How long have you been thinking of creating this universe?
GOD: I’ve never not had the thought of creating it, since I’m immutable and timeless.
JC: But, absent time, there can never be a moment where you thought of creating the universe prior to actually creating it.
GOD: So?
JC: So! Without time, which at a minimum measures a sequential series of causal events, the instant you conceived of creating the universe would be the same instant the universe was created.
GOD: And?
JC: And, therefore, the universe would have always existed eternally, just like you!
GOD: What’s your point to all this?
JC: I’ll try to make this simple: Either you are subject to some form of time yourself where you can first A) consider creating this universe, which later causes B) the actual act of creation, OR everything gets stacked together in the same instant that space, time, energy, matter – all that will comprise The Universe – is created, in which case you cannot have existed prior. And if you don’t exist prior, and you maintain that The Universe had a beginning, then you shared the same beginning and could not have been the cause of anything. That makes you superfluous and unnecessary.
GOD: Casper disagrees.
JC: On what basis?
GOD: He says we exist in “metaphysical time,” which I get to define as prior to physical time.
JC: And who created this metaphysical time?
GOD: I am the creator of all things, so therefore I must have.
JC: When?
GOD: At some point before metaphysical time existed, obviously.
JC: Let me guess, super-metaphysical time?
GOD: Casper is laughing at you.
JC: Oh, that’s mature. If you can’t form a valid argument for how events will come about in a “timeless” manner prior to the creation of time itself, then I suppose scoffing is the only recourse left to handling your cognitive dissonance.
GOD: But if an actual infinite temporal regress of events cannot exist, I must be both timeless and eternal!
JC: You are just trying to define yourself in such a way to avoid one paradox, while plunging head first into another.
JC: Oh, brother.
GOD: Father!
JC: This is all just special pleading in an attempt to avoid inevitable logical inconsistencies.
GOD: And I will create minions within The Universe in my own image, according to our likeness.
JC: Changing subjects again? Fine. So, these minions of yours will be created to physically resemble us?
GOD: I didn’t say that.
JC: You just said they would be created in your own image and according to our likeness.
GOD: I may mean that metaphorically.
JC: Insufferable! Why can’t you just speak plainly?
GOD: Because then my minions would all agree as to my true nature and desires, finding no need to bicker amongst themselves. That would totally ruin my divine mystique. I want them to form many different religions divided into thousands of competing denominations, each supremely certain as to the validity of their particular faith while smugly deriding all others.  
JC: For what possible purpose?
GOD: For my amusement, of course! I’ll reward those that guess closest to my real meaning, whatever I end up deciding that will be. For now, Casper has his money on the Mormons, but I’m leaning Quaker – we’ll just have to see how I feel come Armageddon. Anyway, don’t worry… it’s all part of my mysterious plan.
JC: Which is?
JC: I should have seen that one coming. So tell me, why can’t you just create your minions here, with us? Wherever this is. Or, wherever this isn’t, absent space and time.
GOD: The minions need to live on one-third of an infinitesimal speck inside a vast, finely-tuned universe designed specifically for them - though entirely hostile to them should they step off their super-tiny speck.
JC: Why not make the entire universe hospitable to them rather than just one super-tiny speck if the whole thing is being created for their benefit?
GOD: Where’s the fun in that?
JC: It seems quite wasteful. Exactly how big will this Universe of yours be?
GOD: Perhaps infinite.
JC: Wait! You just asserted that actual infinites couldn’t exist.
GOD: I’m omnipotent. Wouldn’t be very “all powerful” of me if I were limited to creating only finite Universes, would it?
JC: So you can create The Universe however you see fit?
GOD: Well… actually, no. Casper tells me there’s one and only one way to create The Universe in which my minions can survive. Has to be finely-tuned, don’t you know.
JC: Like following a pre-defined recipe which you have no freedom to deviate from if you want to create your desired outcome?
GOD: Something like that.
JC: The mere fact that you are limited to following this exact recipe in order to create a finely-tuned universe suggests this recipe itself is somehow fundamental, existing independent of you. Furthermore, if you cannot alter this pre-ordained recipe and still achieve your desired outcome, you are hardly “omnipotent.”
GOD: But I will create this universe out of the Absolute Nothing to demonstrate my omnipotence!
JC: Isn’t it paradoxical that this Absolute Nothing could ever even exist? Absent time and space, where did it exist? Nowhere. When did it exist? At no time. Perhaps something, no matter how primitive, always existed, and Absolute Nothing never could.
GOD: Like what?
JC: I don’t know, a quantum vacuum state maybe.
GOD: That’s absurd. Absolute Nothing exists, I tell you, and predates my creation of The Universe!
JC: Well, what about us? Aren’t we, as a three-in-one being, something? I mean, we have an “image” and a “likeness” according to your words. Those are properties of “something” surely. Our very existence would be proof that something has existed eternally, which necessarily would displace the Absolute Nothing.
GOD: I see your confusion. The Absolute Nothing exists in the “natural” realm prior to my creation of a “natural” universe. We exist in the “supernatural” metaphysical realm.
JC: That’s just so much word salad. Who created the “supernatural” realm in which we exist?
GOD: I did, of course.
JC: Where did you exist prior to its creation?
GOD: In a different supernatural realm.
JC: Turtles all the way down.
GOD: What was that?
JC: Never mind.
GOD: I will also create another possibly infinite realm which I shall call Heaven.
JC: There you go with infinities again. Where will this Heaven exist?
GOD: Well, Heaven can mean either the rest of The Universe beyond the minion’s speck, or a supernatural realm which I inhabit.
JC: I’d think you could use different terms to clarify things a bit.
GOD: Divine mystique, remember? Heaven is where I will favor the minions that survive my many trials and abuses on the infinitesimal speck. I will allow these chosen few to genuflect in my presence for all eternity as a reward.
JC: That’s a reward? What about those you don’t like?
GOD: I’ll create yet another supernatural realm which I will call Hell, to torment those I disfavor –  though I won’t torture them directly; that would be evil. Instead, I’ll create evil incarnate in the form of The Devil and delegate the eternal torment to him, allowing me to wash my hands of the entire affair and still be considered “All Good.”
JC: Couldn’t you just forgive these minions any transgressions, given that you are supposed to be “All Loving” and the one making them imperfect and fallible in the first place?  And certainly perpetuating their confusion by remaining hidden behind your “divine mystique” isn’t their fault.
GOD: Nope. No forgiveness! At least, not without a certain blood sacrifice first.
JC: Wait, why are you looking at me like that?
GOD: Oh, you’ll see.
JC: Creepy. So, let me get this straight: you’re envisioning several distinct, possibly infinite universes including The Universe, Heaven, and Hell, each separate and unique unto themselves?
GOD: Perhaps Purgatory and Limbo too!
JC: Kind of like a “multiverse” then.
GOD: NO! Don’t ever say that! It sends Casper into conniptions. We call them “separate realms.”
JC: What’s the difference?
GOD: A multiverse requires evidence to support its actual existence, whereas you can just take anyone’s word that these other supernatural realms exist.
JC: This sounds absolutely ludicrous.
GOD: Which part?
JC: All of it!
GOD: Well, do you have a more plausible way to explain how a three-in-one god could exist timelessly and create The Universe, Heaven, Hell, and all the rest out of Absolute Nothing?

JC: I am that I am.
GOD: That’s what I thought.
[Image: downloader.php]
(April 22, 2016 at 4:50 pm)Drich Wrote: [Image: downloader.php]

Then don't quote the whole post knobhead.
Yes, Drich didn't read it because theists don't like having their claims exposed as the bad ideas they really are.
Awesome, I loved it Smile

Very nice work!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 22, 2016 at 5:31 pm)robvalue Wrote: Awesome, I loved it Smile

Very nice work!

Thanks Rob!
Genesis - The Prequel!
Ha! Loved it! "I mean space and time in a qualitative not quantitative sense." It really does get more and more absurd as you try to think of the entire story in a linear fashion. Glad you shared it with us! And so sorry Drippy was the first to respond. Of course he isn't going to read it. Critical thinking is dangerous for theists. [emoji56]
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Genesis - The Prequel!
(I'll give you a more detailed response via PM)
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(May 10, 2016 at 10:26 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: Ha!  Loved it!  "I mean space and time in a qualitative not quantitative sense."  It really does get more and more absurd as you try to think of the entire story in a linear fashion.  Glad you shared it with us!  And so sorry Drippy was the first to respond.  Of course he isn't going to read it.  Critical thinking is dangerous for theists.  [emoji56]

I'm glad you enjoyed it! And the qualitative vs. quantitative madness is straight from a debate I once had with a theist who used the line trying to defend their ridiculous assertions. But I'm sure he was divinely inspired when he said it. As for Drippy (great name!), I'm really upset he didn't read it. After all, I read through the work of fiction he holds so dear (a.k.a. the bible), the least he could do is read mine.
Wow, so good! Reminds me of God and Jeffrey's conversations on darkmatter's vids. Super awesome! Big Grin
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 9396 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  There are no answers in Genesis LinuxGal 248 20020 March 24, 2023 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Atheist Bible Study 1: Genesis GrandizerII 614 68329 March 9, 2019 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Genesis interpretations - how many are there? Fake Messiah 129 17125 January 22, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: donlor
  Free interpretation of the Genesis 3:5 KJV theBorg 19 3722 November 13, 2016 at 2:03 am
Last Post: RiddledWithFear
  Rewriting the bible part 1 - Genesis dyresand 4 1950 March 12, 2016 at 3:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  god is a moron - genesis dyresand 70 18808 August 7, 2015 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The Real Bible: Genesis Chapter 1 Theoretical Skeptic 25 7062 May 6, 2015 at 7:01 am
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Footnote to Genesis 3:7 daver49 35 6905 March 24, 2015 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Rewrite the Bible: Genesis 3:14-24 (with most up-to-date texts in bold) Mudhammam 0 1146 March 19, 2015 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam