Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can a slug be God?
Can a slug be God?
This is mainly aimed at theists, but everyone is welcome to chime in. I'm still totally lacking any coherent notion of what a god is.

Is it defined by its qualities? Or by its achievements? Its status? What?

Consider this scenario. A long time ago, all that existed was a slug. That's it, a slug. Nothing predates the slug.

Suddenly, the slug creates all of the rest of reality around it somehow. Maybe this was deliberate, maybe it did it by accident. Now it exists alongside everything else. Along with this creation came the rules regarding harm and death, which previously did not apply. The slug lives out its days, then dies. Fast forward several billion years, and we have the present day.

So my question is this: would this slug be a god? If not, why not, and what else would make it into one?

It's irrelevant how the slug did this, or if it's possible, since these are never considerations when gods are discussed.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Can a slug be God?
Quote:So my question is this: would this slug be a god? If not, why not, and what else would make it into one?

It would only be a god if it killed people for worshiping other slugs.

But seriously (odd for me, I know), this is a very good question.  Theists, even within the same franchise, have a helluva time coming up with what 'God' means, and then proceed to bag the rest of us for not believing in something they can't define.  Huh?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 14, 2016 at 4:41 am)robvalue Wrote: [...]So my question is this: would this slug be a god? If not, why not, and what else would make it into one?[...]

I'd say - most theists would not accept the slug as one and only god, because it's not emotionally appealing enough. They'd ask "Well - and who made the slug?" and proceed with shameless violations of semantics until they reached the preconceived notion of an anthropomorphic, immortal god, terribly preoccupied with their well-being...

I mean - if you're not bound by facts, or evidence, when constructing your model of reality, then why would you stop making sh*t up at something as mundane as a slug?
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Thanks guys Smile

Yes, my idea here is to work from the bottom up. This slug satisfies all the stupid Kalam arguments and such. And you can't coherently ask what created it, because I've defined it as having nothing pre-dating it.

I'd love to hear the objections. In this state of affairs, is there no God but there was a creator?
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
God is just hopes and dreams.
It will exist as long as humans will.
It's the human condition.
No physical bearing on reality whatever.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Yes the slug would be the God, for god is not bound by shape or form but recognizable only as the eternal creator of all.

Tongue
(I need to practice better word salad)
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Hehe, yeah Smile

I'm interested to know what they would call the slug instead, and if they can justify it.

Index of my best videos
Sorry, I'm also asluggist.
I believe in the historicity of slugs of course, but none of the woo associated with them.
I also cannot put my faith in something slimey.
(But I do put other things in something slimey)   Naughty
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I don't see why not, and I doubt it even has to meet the scenario you set forth...since a large number of gods that people worship aren't even proposed to have been creator-god - and ofc many gods (my favorites come from the meso-american pantheon) were said to have died long before the cults which centered around them practiced their faiths.

The only -actual- requirement for a god seems to be that somebody somewhere believes that "x" is a god.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yes a slug can be god.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11154 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Can I be sued for saving someone's life? Yes I can Dystopia 25 5278 July 14, 2015 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  If we can't criticize Islam in the West, where can it be criticized? TheMessiah 29 7767 May 10, 2015 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19402 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  We can demonstrate that souls, if they exist, can't feel pain. Chad32 10 3839 January 27, 2014 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92