Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outrage over NPR's firing of Juan Williams
Outrage over NPR's firing of Juan Williams
Liberals and conservatives express outrage over NPR's firing of liberal news anylist, Juan Williams, for comments he made about muslims on the O'Reilly Factor. People are demanding that federal funding be cut from NPR. What do you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBWR31CGR...re=related
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: Outrage over NPR's firing of Juan Williams
NPR has been doing the annual fund raising drive. I listen to NPR all the time, rarely does my radio change channels, usually when that Diane Rheem show comes on.

They were announcing 97% of their operating budget comes from listeners like me. 97%.

I agree NPR should compete in the open market place without government tax money. I think they would do just fine without the gov. grant they do get each year.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Megan Kelly rips into muslim activist, Ibrahim Hooper of "CAIR", over its role in NPR's firing of Juan Williams...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyxehqPBsvU
(October 23, 2010 at 9:24 am)Dotard Wrote: I agree NPR should compete in the open market place without government tax money. I think they would do just fine without the gov. grant they do get each year.
I also agree that NPR should not be receiving government tax money, and some congressmen are already working to try to stop that funding...but how well do you think they would do without the big contributors like George Sorros? Do you think that he's also part of that 97% of their operating budget? Liberal, Bob Beckle, said that he would no longer contribute to NPR. I wonder how many others will stop contributing? I think this might be a nail in the coffin for NPR. I don't think it will last, unless Schiller and Weiss resign.

Oops, sorry. I meant to start this thread in "Politics and History".

Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
It is one of the first times that I agree with O'Reilly. Juan Williams should not have been fired for stating how he feels.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
They can fire him for any reason they like.

There is no constitutional right to employment. The Bill of Rights prevents the government from throwing someone's ass in jail for speaking. It does not prevent any private citizen or business from firing that person.
(October 23, 2010 at 9:14 am)A Theist Wrote: Liberals and conservatives express outrage over NPR's firing of liberal news anylist, Juan Williams, for comments he made about muslims on the O'Reilly Factor. People are demanding that federal funding be cut from NPR. What do you think...

I think the Republicans have been trying to silence NPR since it first entered the air waves. I don't think one thing has anything to do with the other.

I think Juan Williams must have known what the repurcussions would be if he were to make such statements. That said, he has a right to express his views, and he did just that. By the same token, he isn't guaranteed a job, has no inherent right to work at NPR. Employers can fire you for any reason, or no reason. Welcome to the real world.

'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(October 23, 2010 at 1:01 pm)orogenicman Wrote:
(October 23, 2010 at 9:14 am)A Theist Wrote: Liberals and conservatives express outrage over NPR's firing of liberal news anylist, Juan Williams, for comments he made about muslims on the O'Reilly Factor. People are demanding that federal funding be cut from NPR. What do you think...

I think the Republicans have been trying to silence NPR since it first entered the air waves. I don't think one thing has anything to do with the other.

I think Juan Williams must have known what the repurcussions would be if he were to make such statements. That said, he has a right to express his views, and he did just that. By the same token, he isn't guaranteed a job, has no inherent right to work at NPR. Employers can fire you for any reason, or no reason. Welcome to the real world.
It's true, employers can fire you for any reason. All but two states in our country are "At Will" employee states. I understand that. The question is, should NPR continue to receive federal taxpayers dollars when they fire someone for expressing a view they don't like? Also, since they are receiving federal money, where's the balance of conservative vs liberal viewpoint at NPR...it's NPR that's trying to supress the conservative voice, not the other way around. If they were a completely private enterprise that didn't accept federal money, then this would be a whole different argument. I say cut the federal funding and let NPR stand or fall on its own.

The fascists have enough shitheads like Bill O'Reilly to tell them what they want to hear.

Leave NPR alone.
(October 23, 2010 at 3:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The fascists have enough shitheads like Bill O'Reilly to tell them what they want to hear.

Leave NPR alone.
The fascists are at NPR. They're the ones shutting down free speech. Bill O'Reilly works for a private enterprise. NPR is feeding at the government trough. Our federal lawmakers need to cut off all funding to NPR.

(October 23, 2010 at 3:25 pm)A Theist Wrote:
(October 23, 2010 at 3:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The fascists have enough shitheads like Bill O'Reilly to tell them what they want to hear.

Leave NPR alone.
The fascists are at NPR. They're the ones shutting down free speech. Bill O'Reilly works for a private enterprise. NPR is feeding at the government trough. Our federal lawmakers need to cut off all funding to NPR.

97% of NPR's funding comes from private donations from all over the country. All of Fox News' funding comes from - Rupert Murdock.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cue the "War on Christmas" outrage from the conservative right Doubting Thomas 11 2667 March 31, 2017 at 9:33 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Poll of over 3000 U.S. troops: Gary Johnson preffered over Clinton, Trump ReptilianPeon 7 1816 July 22, 2016 at 11:22 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Utah Votes to Bring Back Firing Squad Faith No More 32 5479 March 13, 2015 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Brian Williams suspended Manowar 9 1677 February 11, 2015 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Over Here Fox 'News' Would Have A Shit Fit Over This Minimalist 14 2179 December 8, 2014 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Robin Williams dies at 63 apparent suicide Manowar 2 1034 August 12, 2014 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Manowar
  Outrage in Italy after bananas are thrown at its first black minister. Annik 32 11203 July 30, 2013 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Medical Cost Outrage Minimalist 21 4465 March 7, 2013 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Outrage at parents who 'blacked up' baby to look like football star Mario Balotelli xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx 0 1395 March 3, 2013 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx
  Police Firing Squad.... Minimalist 35 7908 August 20, 2012 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist