Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophy start
Philosophy start
I'm looking forward to start reading philosophy but I don't know where to start , can you help me with some advice ?
RE: Philosophy start
Kind of a broad question.  My own favourite philosophers are Hume and Bentham, but they can be a trifle heavy going for a beginner.  The best introduction might be Plato's 'The Republic'.

Remember, though - it doesn't matter whether you agree with what Plato has to say about, well, anything.  But it's a fairly straightforward way to get yourself used to the language and style of philosophical writings.  Good luck.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
A friend of mine also sugested to start with greek philosophers.
You can pick a whole bunch of different stuff from here: https://plato.stanford.edu/contents.html
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'm told that this is a good introduction.

[Image: 41TIIh7ihVL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

The Story Of Philosophy Bryan Magee

And then there's always Bertrand Russell's History Of Western Philosophy, which is eminently readable.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Start with wikipedia.

Three years from now, come back with more questions. Smile
(November 11, 2017 at 7:45 am)bennyboy Wrote: Start with wikipedia.

Wikipedia has concentrated information , I read Nietzsche philosophy on wikipedia but that is just a conclusion not the actual philosophy. And slow down with the arrogance.
Philosophical musings on where to start learning about philosophy strikes me as charming.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 11, 2017 at 8:08 am)notimportant1234 Wrote:
(November 11, 2017 at 7:45 am)bennyboy Wrote: Start with wikipedia.

Wikipedia has concentrated information , I read Nietzsche philosophy on wikipedia but that is just a conclusion not the actual philosophy. And slow down with the arrogance.

Arrogance?

I've spent hours reading that concentrated information.  Go read Sartre and tell me after 5 pages that you want the full experience, when he's already made reference to about 20 other works that you should probably read if you want to understand what he's talking about.  Or read Camus and tell me that a 200 page work can't very easily be summarized in a single page with almost no loss.

See, I've actually READ these books, and my advice is to get an overview first, so you have some context for the books you're reading. I thought it was pretty good advice.

Bust since I'm arrogant. . . how about just go fuck yourself?
(November 11, 2017 at 3:55 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(November 11, 2017 at 8:08 am)notimportant1234 Wrote: Wikipedia has concentrated information , I read Nietzsche philosophy on wikipedia but that is just a conclusion not the actual philosophy. And slow down with the arrogance.

Arrogance?

I've spent hours reading that concentrated information.  Go read Sartre and tell me after 5 pages that you want the full experience, when he's already made reference to about 20 other works that you should probably read if you want to understand what he's talking about.  Or read Camus and tell me that a 200 page work can't very easily be summarized in a single page with almost no loss.

See, I've actually READ these books, and my advice is to get an overview first, so you have some context for the books you're reading.  I thought it was pretty good advice.

Bust since I'm arrogant. . . how about just go fuck yourself?

Actually the second part was arrogance "three years from now ,come back with questions"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5299 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1424 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3598 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1605 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13003 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2633 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4931 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8249 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12014 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2266 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne