Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida Stand Your Ground Shooting
Florida Stand Your Ground Shooting
Most of you have probably heard the story. A black man was shot and killed by white man after being shoved to the ground. The shooter will not be charged based on the FL stand your ground law. 

Here are a couple of reports. 

https://nypost.com/2018/07/20/stand-your...e-sheriff/

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2...l-shooting

This started over parking in a handicapped spot. Apparently the shooter has a history of harassing patrons. 

Were the shooter and authorities right,........... wrong,............, no opinion? Would you have been in fear for your life or great bodily harm? Is it worth a life over bad parking? Was the white guy looking for a reason to use his concealed carry?

Looks wrong to me as the black guy appears to be backing off after the shove. To bad there is not audio, I wonder if a verbal threat was made.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Florida Stand Your Ground Shooting
SMDH, the stand your ground law is retarded.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 21, 2018 at 9:08 pm)Kit Wrote: SMDH, the stand your ground law is retarded.

I do believe such a law can, in fact, be defensible (like, say, if someone is being mugged, and if it turns out the victim is actually packing heat and the perp isn't deterred by the threat of someone potentially killing him.) That said, I believe if you have this law, you REALLY need to be strict about the application.

With regards to this case, shooting a guy who has just shoved you to the ground seems like a pretty good case of self-defense. The shooter may be an argumentative SOB who was looking for an argument over a handicapped space, but the victim's response was way over the line, and his response to this would seem to be legitimate.

Sometimes, both sides in a given conflict are gaping assholes (hassling someone over a handicapped space vs. throwing someone to the ground over it), but even in those cases, there's a distinct possibility that someone might actually have some sort of moral high ground, and in this case, as much as I hate to admit it, the ornery sumbitch who shot the guy does, in my opinion. I know race can make relatively innocuous gestures seem threatening, but, really, if, for example, Liam Neeson (white action hero from the whitest country on Earth) threw me to the ground and I was packing heat, I'd fucking pull the trigger.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I guess we can thank the NRA.... and Putin.
(July 21, 2018 at 11:25 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I guess we can thank the NRA.... and Putin.

I think this is something Putin's actually innocent of for once.

Think again.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/201...ans-trump/

Quote:NRA President Offered to Work With Accused Russian Spy’s Group in Moscow

Video from the 2013 event with Maria Butina sheds further light on NRA-Russia ties.
'merica and guns again Sad
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(July 22, 2018 at 1:08 am)Minimalist Wrote: Think again.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/201...ans-trump/

Quote:NRA President Offered to Work With Accused Russian Spy’s Group in Moscow

Video from the 2013 event with Maria Butina sheds further light on NRA-Russia ties.

Are we sure that the NRA's obsession with unfettered access to and use of guns doesn't predate Putin having any power?

Obviously the man seeing his girlfriend being threatened, should have just pulled out his own gun and done the shooting. But then, I'm guessing he'd be charged since he was black.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
I thought I would further bring attention to the stand your ground law by stating that no black man is going to use it against another black man. Nor any white man against another white man. So far, it has only been used by white bigoted white men against black people by killing the black man.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mass shooting in the middle school Vladislav Ribnikar in Belgrade FlatAssembler 764 26959 July 18, 2023 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Florida teacher faces investigation for playing Disney movie zebo-the-fat 5 558 May 17, 2023 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Hey Florida people!!!! arewethereyet 22 1638 September 29, 2022 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Alec Baldwin Shooting onlinebiker 252 12522 August 17, 2022 at 9:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Grand Rapids Mi Shooting onlinebiker 111 6097 May 11, 2022 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Colorado shooting, 5 dead. brewer 0 291 December 28, 2021 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Oakland School Shooting onlinebiker 99 5825 December 7, 2021 at 8:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Columbus Police Shooting onlinebiker 43 2796 April 25, 2021 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Florida humanist gives first secular invocation at Brevard County brewer 4 284 February 1, 2021 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Florida(wo)man. Gawdzilla Sama 0 165 July 30, 2020 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama