Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump's Base is Possibly Growing
Trump's Base is Possibly Growing
I just read this somewhat alarming article. We've been talking for the past two years about how Trump hasn't tried to grow his base. As it turns out, his base might be growing with Latinos. That seems impossible, and yet it seems to really be happening.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/...ump-225192
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
RE: Trump's Base is Possibly Growing
(February 24, 2019 at 2:17 pm)Yonadav Wrote: I just read this somewhat alarming article. We've been talking for the past two years about how Trump hasn't tried to grow his base. As it turns out, his base might be growing with Latinos. That seems impossible, and yet it seems to really be happening.

Not where it counts. The only thing the asshole has done is give the already bat shit insane bigots more cover and more of an open bullhorn.

Racism and bigotry have always existed, and unfortunately still does. All he did is allow more cockroaches to crawl out of the woodwork.
(February 24, 2019 at 2:20 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(February 24, 2019 at 2:17 pm)Yonadav Wrote: I just read this somewhat alarming article. We've been talking for the past two years about how Trump hasn't tried to grow his base. As it turns out, his base might be growing with Latinos. That seems impossible, and yet it seems to really be happening.

Not where it counts. The only thing the asshole has done is give the already bat shit insane bigots more cover and more of an open bullhorn.

Racism and bigotry have always existed, and unfortunately still does. All he did is allow more cockroaches to crawl out of the woodwork.

Does your insane ass have anything to say that is relevant to the topic of this discussion?
(February 24, 2019 at 2:29 pm)Yonadav Wrote:
(February 24, 2019 at 2:20 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Not where it counts. The only thing the asshole has done is give the already bat shit insane bigots more cover and more of an open bullhorn.

Does your insane ass have anything to say that is relevant to the topic of this discussion?

"It's growing"... is wrong.

The opposite is true when you consider long term American history, just the opposite.

America was far more bigoted, sexist, homophobic, and violent to minorities 240 years ago than it is now. The article is misleading. You are not seeing growing bigotry, but a more vocal minority of bigots.

Our long term history has grown to be more inclusive. What is really happening are more vocal white anxiety on the far right.

Hate groups DID  explode after Obama's first election, that part is true. But it wasn't that more bigots exist, but just that more of that small far right faction became more vocal.

It is more along the lines that more assholes have become less afraid to be assholes.

Skip the labels for a second, even skip nationality for a second.

This seeming "regression" is not new to America or our species for that matter.

Humans fear change. Humans get sold the social norms their parents sell them. So when new ideas or different people who are not raised in the long history of that majority, those used to the social norms feel threatened by that change. It isn't that humans are not capable of accepting change, just in that when you see change happen, many still stuck on the past become more vocal when their social norms are upset. You are not seeing more bigots, you are seeing more of the minority of the far right being more vocal.

The fear of the rural white middle class and rural poor is causing them to be more vocal. That is not the same as saying most of the country is with them. They are not.
Get a grip. I'm pretty certain that you didn't read the article. It looks like it is factually true that Trump's numbers are improving dramatically with Hispanics. This doesn't have anything to do with what you are ranting about.
(February 24, 2019 at 2:56 pm)Yonadav Wrote: Get a grip. I'm pretty certain that you didn't read the article. It looks like it is factually true that Trump's numbers are improving dramatically with Hispanics. This doesn't have anything to do with what you are ranting about.

Not because of the numbers , but because of his marketing.

Most GOP voters, regardless of if they support him or not, would claim they are not bigots. But because he sells fear so well, that allows even those who claim not to be bigots to excuse his marketing.

If you take a time machine back 240 years ago, even Democrats and Wigs who owned slaves would be the majority.

Even outside white Christians, you are doing the same damned thing I hate that Muslims in America and the west pull.

Nobody is claiming the rise of vile bigoted voices is a good thing. It is not. But that does not mean bigotry is growing. It is a matter of a small minority hiding behind others and those ignoring that allowing them to hide behind them. 

If you ignore that, then yes, by ignoring that, you can let hate grow.
(February 24, 2019 at 3:04 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(February 24, 2019 at 2:56 pm)Yonadav Wrote: Get a grip. I'm pretty certain that you didn't read the article. It looks like it is factually true that Trump's numbers are improving dramatically with Hispanics. This doesn't have anything to do with what you are ranting about.

Not because of the numbers , but because of his marketing.

Most GOP voters, regardless of if they support him or not, would claim they are not bigots. But because he sells fear so well, that allows even those who claim not to be bigots to excuse his marketing.

If you take a time machine back 240 years ago, even Democrats and Wigs who owned slaves would be the majority.

Even outside white Christians, you are doing the same damned thing I hate that Muslims in America and the west pull.

Nobody is claiming the rise of vile bigoted voices is a good thing. It is not. But that does not mean bigotry is growing. It is a matter of a small minority hiding behind others and those ignoring that allowing them to hide behind them. 

And you are still ranting about shit that isn't related to the OP.  Trump's numbers are rising with Hispanics. If true, he is adding to his base. Do you have anything to say that is relevant to that?
(February 24, 2019 at 3:07 pm)Yonadav Wrote:
(February 24, 2019 at 3:04 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Not because of the numbers , but because of his marketing.

And you are still ranting about shit that isn't related to the OP.  Trump's numbers are rising with Hispanics. If true, he is adding to his base. Do you have anything to say that is relevant to that?

Title of the thread, "Trump's base possibly growing"

Or am I hallucinating?

No it is not.

What is happening is his marketing is working, that in turn can and does cause otherwise decent people in middle America to make excuses for the asshole.

My late mother was a lifetime GOP voter for the most part. She was not a bigot, but she was born in an age of far more bigotry in a time when whites were far more dominate. She never saw herself as a bigot. But she did have an ignorance of history and ignorance of economic inequality, and had an over simplistic view of race relations and how economics effect different demographics disproportionately. 

So again, if the title of your thread is suggesting bigotry is growing, IT IS NOT. 

I'd only agree it can, and will if you keep ignoring what I am telling you.
Trump's numbers may be rising between Hispanics and what can we do about it? Get our pitchforks? The thing is Democrats haven't even picked their candidate yet, let alone started working on the voters.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Cancer tends to to that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump base and malding syndrome Woah0 3 275 August 26, 2022 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The United States and the growing divide zwanzig 73 3534 September 24, 2021 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1054 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Does anyone understand Trumps base? Atomic Lava 72 6309 June 13, 2020 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Zepp
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 36879 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  AP: Obama's nose is growing John V 113 9374 September 17, 2018 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  So if you are bothered by noise from a nearby air base you are unpatriotic NuclearEnergy 16 2139 April 22, 2017 at 8:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I'm awfully confused: how do Trump supporters relate to Trump NuclearEnergy 11 3137 March 7, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The dangers of growing corp monopolies...... Brian37 1 498 January 30, 2017 at 12:34 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Is Trump's election bad for Trump's businesses? Jehanne 22 4119 November 15, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: CWoods