Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does God deserve?
What does God deserve?
I have posted this question on one of the philosophy forums but I would also like to ask the question over here. This question is mainly for monotheists or anyone else who believes in a God who dishes out punishments.

If God holds us responsible for causing harm, then why doesn't he punish him self since if he is omniscient and omnipotent then he is intentionally the major cause of all suffering.

So it would be only fair from him considering all of the natural disasters only that he should put him self in hell for eternity ? That's if he is as just and fair as he says he is!!!

Thoughts
RE: What does God deserve?
I don't believe in god but thought I'd jump in quickly. I pointed that out sometime ago, in different words.
I pointed out the fallacy of an all knowing god and hell. If he's all knowing, then he knew that his creation would behave a certain way and why. So for him to continue with his creation for which he knew would think and behave a certain way then sending them to hell to be punished for doing what he created them to do would make absolutely no sense at all.

Our points are similar. The more you think and look into it all, the less sense it seems to make.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Which god.

My favourite is Dionysus roman god of Grapes and wine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysus

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

What does PEL deserve?

Pel, you believe in an infinitely loving and compassionate god - correct?

What religion is this god of? Because CLEARLY it is not Christianity. Their god is a jealous, egotistical, sadistic son-of-a-bitch.
[Image: Evolution.png]

I believe in a deistic God. And right now I am questioning even that to be honest with you. I am still in favour of their being a God but its getting harder and harder to believe, then again because of some of my experiences it its hard not to believe.

Thanks
I've said elsewhere on this forum that if Jesus turns out to be real, he is the least fit being in the universe to sit in judgment of anyone.

If it turns out Christianity is true, than it means that Jesus watched over our world and witnessed his followers killing, torturing and otherwise persecuting in his name. It means he watched his followers stand in the way of every form of sociological and technological progress, thereby indirectly causing needless suffering. He watched as charlatans got rich off the most vulnerable. He stood by and saw all this and did nothing.

Forget the "free will" of miscreants who victimize others for their own reasons. Forget the suffering cause by natural catastrophe. Forget all the good that might have come from some basic admonishments against slavery, in favor of equality and distribution of real knowledge about hygiene and disease (rather than illness being caused by sin and demons) when Jesus walked the earth and preached his message. Forget all that and consider only the tacit approval of all the bloodshed, terror and misery promoted in his name.

It is he who should beg our forgiveness. Not the other way around.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
electric chair or lethal injection for genocide.
(July 8, 2011 at 3:55 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: I've said elsewhere on this forum that if Jesus turns out to be real, he is the least fit being in the universe to sit in judgment of anyone.

If it turns out Christianity is true, than it means that Jesus watched over our world and witnessed his followers killing, torturing and otherwise persecuting in his name. It means he watched his followers stand in the way of every form of sociological and technological progress, thereby indirectly causing needless suffering. He watched as charlatans got rich off the most vulnerable. He stood by and saw all this and did nothing.

Forget the "free will" of miscreants who victimize others for their own reasons. Forget the suffering cause by natural catastrophe. Forget all the good that might have come from some basic admonishments against slavery, in favor of equality and distribution of real knowledge about hygiene and disease (rather than illness being caused by sin and demons) when Jesus walked the earth and preached his message. Forget all that and consider only the tacit approval of all the bloodshed, terror and misery promoted in his name.

It is he who should beg our forgiveness. Not the other way around.

I believe, that the argument is something along the lines of Jesus as Reality Show Producer. He's just building the tension until the big reveal...or maybe sweeps.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 8, 2011 at 3:37 pm)Pel Wrote: I believe in a deistic God. And right now I am questioning even that to be honest with you. I am still in favour of their being a God but its getting harder and harder to believe, then again because of some of my experiences it its hard not to believe.

Thanks

There were events in my life that I could of said were because of god. Like how I ended up stuck in North Wales and in the middle of a fucking storm in a broken down car, right next to a river with a strong flow of water running by, miles from home and absolutely cold with no money. Managed to get home in just a few hours despite all the heavy trouble I was in. God never had anything to do with it. All thanks go to the Welsh and my wealthy nan. Nice people the Welsh. Big Grin

Look into every experience and not just in the religious sense. Try and look for scientific reasons. You'll find more sense in things. Seeing as science can explain things with a lot of detail. Religion can only offer the "goddidit" answer.

I don't know what your experiences are that lead you to believe in god but I'm quite sure I could explain away some or many of them. However, your reasons are your reasons and I won't ever dispute that.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does science always upstage God? ignoramus 940 118479 October 26, 2022 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2474 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Why does God care about S E X? zwanzig 83 4679 November 15, 2021 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 10614 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Does humanity deserve Corona? WinterHold 285 17188 July 15, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Porcupine
  Did Sai Baba deserve Nobel more than Mother Teresa? Fake Messiah 1 356 February 26, 2020 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Does afterlife need God? Fake Messiah 7 1355 February 4, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why does God get the credit? Cod 91 7160 July 29, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: comet
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 6918 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  God doesn't love you-or does He? yragnitup 24 4770 January 24, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler