Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Middle Ages Was the Best We Ever Had
The Middle Ages Was the Best We Ever Had
I am no history major, but based on my readings, I have concluded that the Middle Ages was not nearly as efficient as it could have been. I think a lot of erratic beliefs hindered it; there was a lot of poor leadership. I am aware of its fruit: universities, algebra, etc. However, I find it difficult to believe that, overall, the Middle Ages can educate us in how to construct an effective, healthy society.

Here lately, I was having a political discussion with some people on Facebook. We threw around ideas and such. Then, I stated my dislike for the Middle Ages (it was pertinent, I assure you). Afterwards, someone told me I am incorrect; the Middle Ages is deserving of high praise. I asked him, "Why?". In reply, he stated that Julius Evola (whom I know little of) considered the 12th century-Middle Ages era to be the pinnacle of traditional (Julius loves Tradition and Transcendence) Western civilization. He didn't explain further, unfortunately. His reasoning was simply that the this era was a perfect example of a great traditional society. Cathedrals and scholasticism being its major contributions.

I am not so ignorant as to say that one era is better than the other, simply because it proceeds or precedes another. I simply disbelieve in Julius Evola's conclusion. I think the guy focuses too much on spirituality and tradition, as those seem to be extensions of a civilization (in other words, they are flexible variables). From what I know, Evola nearly worships this time period.

What is your opinion? Is this era worthy of high praise? Is Evola correct, and should I retract my initial statement?
RE: The Middle Ages Was the Best We Ever Had
The middle ages was just fine, as long as you were not a peasant, did not mind being conscripted to fight at any time ,did not upset the local lord ,who could kill or maim you with impunity and were content with a life expectancy of about 30 (less for a woman).

Life in Middle Ages was 'nasty and brutal and short' if you were a peasant ,and not a lot better if you were a member of the elite.

'Traditional' can be another word for 'closed minded', which describes the Middle Ages, when they were happily burning heretics.

'Spiritual' in the sense of 'transcending the mundane'? I guess that could be argued for members of some monastic orders with their privileged lives. But, for society as whole,at all levels, it was a time of illiteracy and profound superstition.---Even Queen Elizabeth1 had her own astrologer and magician, John Dee,and that was sixteenth century. (1533-1603)

Daily life was controlled by the church and local clergy to a degree we cannot imagine.

It seems Julius may just possibly be a romantic wanker of the first water.
(September 19, 2011 at 8:36 pm)padraic Wrote: It seems Julius may just possibly be a romantic wanker of the first water.

It does seem like he tries too hard. He even criticized Nietzsche for not including transcendentalism in his works. Obviously, Nietzsche was not one to praise the sort of "tradition" Julius did.

Keep the comments flowing, please. I don't want to have an ignorant opinion on this subject.
He's a fucking idiot.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/v...york/2888/
(September 19, 2011 at 8:36 pm)padraic Wrote: Life in Middle Ages was 'nasty and brutal and short' if you were a peasant ,and not a lot better if you were a member of the elite.

Sure, but your average member of western society lives longer and better now than the elites did then.
I think Padraic summed it up beautifully.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Is Julius Evola a member of the catholic clergy by any chance? if so they would have good reason to see the middle ages as a golden age. Back then the Catholic church was often the ultimate authority in western Europe. The church back then could do whatever it wanted or at least could get away without retaliation from pissed off nobility and monarchs.
undefined
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Evola

He was a complete italian nut with strong sympathy for the most distilled form of reactionary fascism.
Depends on what angle you're viewing history from. Middle Age Europe was breaking down barriers in the ag sector. Equipment, Management, and Hybridization (plant and animal) were all revolutionized. That being said, Padraic's peasants were the labor force for all of this, and they didn't fare so well.

"European agriculture underwent a number of significant changes during the Middle Ages. Tools including the scythe and plow were improved from classical versions, a three field system of crop rotation was invented, and the moldboard plow and wheeled plow were increasingly used. Draft horses were bred and increasingly used as a working animal in many parts of Europe, while oxen continued to be used for this purpose. Metal horseshoes were widely adopted. Much of Europe had low population densities during this period, to which extensive farming was well-suited. In parts of Southern Europe, more intensive farming combined techniques continued from classical Roman agriculture and those transferred from Islamic regions. In the late Middle Ages, the use of manure as fertilizer increased, which in turn decreased the necessity of regular fallowing of fields."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_...ure#Europe
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yeah - peasants got to pay 10% of what they grew to the fucking church and the noble took 1/3 of the rest.

That last part hasn't changed except the upper classes are trying to take all of it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1604 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Biden had to walk back a tax increase jasonelijah 6 815 March 31, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Saudi Arabia had been sold :) WinterHold 4 1204 January 25, 2019 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Even The FOX FUX Have Had Eniough of the Orange Turdfuhrer Minimalist 2 358 October 11, 2018 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Torture in The Middle East: memories from Syria's war. WinterHold 0 346 April 22, 2018 at 4:17 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Why do countries in the middle east allow religion to have such an influence? GODZILLA 11 1231 April 12, 2018 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Ruckus123
  I'm Sure He Had A Good Reason. Minimalist 52 6576 November 7, 2017 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Middle East: Torture and shame WinterHold 6 1631 October 28, 2017 at 1:20 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Just who are the middle class? Europa! 5 1059 September 19, 2017 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  My favorite phrase: What if Obama had done this? NuclearEnergy 9 3133 June 21, 2017 at 12:44 am
Last Post: vorlon13