Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 2:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Religion is a poor source of morality
RE: Religion is a poor source of morality
No, I'm not. Social Darwinism is insane, and anyone who thinks it's a good idea is insane. That's a value judgement by me, of course. I'm not the arbiter of who is and isn't sane, or what value system is "the best".

How could anyone get social Darwinism from my arguments? I'm explicitly saying no value system is objectively correct. So how can I be arguing for an individual one? I've even said my own value system isn't objectively better than anyone elses.

Wow, I am exhausted after writing all that shit. I gotta go kill some weak and diseased people, laters!

PS: Wait, now I get it. Because I'm describing scientifically how morality came about in the first place, that means I'm saying that I advocate trying to "help evolution" as a value system. Of course not. It's just the facts of the matter. It's no use pretending it's not.

PPS: I'm getting way too obsessed with this forum again! I'm gonna take a break for a few days, anyone else is welcome to pick up this debate for me Smile If not I'll see where it's at when I get back. Peace out Roadrunner Big Grin
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Just to clarify what the theists in this thread are suggesting: morality cannot be objective unless we imagine a God who, for some nations at some epochs, endorses the beating of slaves and stoning of fornicators, but at other times does not. In other words, their source for what they want to call objective morality is actually depressingly relative; depressing because it appears to trick some minds into defending barbarism as very good.

Well, to hell with that. The very notion that God cannot lie suggests that God as he exists in his actions can be abstracted from the nature of the Good, i.e. the standard, which you unjustifiably assert as being synonymous with his "nature" - a standard (or nature), by the way, which he apparently lacks the free will to oppose.

Objective morality doesn't require God as a source. It requires inquiring minds who experience different states of being in their struggle to attain what every person desires: happiness.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(October 5, 2015 at 8:25 am)ChadWooters Wrote: Robvalue, why do you privilege empathy in your just-so story about natural selection. What about disgust, contempt, and fear. No doubt our capacity for those also evolved to confer some reproductive advantage. Using your logic I could rationalize moral sentiments I'm sure you would find disturbing. For example, disgust prompts us to avoid behaviors that led to injury and disease. Therefore it is moral to shun the sick and refrain from formication. Members of the tribe that are not inclined by normative desires to reproduce should be held in contempt. Or fear of outsiders protects the gene pool of the tribe therefore strangers, particularly those that appear different should be destroyed.

My point is not that any of the above examples are true but rather that contrary to common AF opinion the pressures of natural selection are at best neutral with respect to the origin of moral values.

We definitely have a strong feeling of "in-group" versus "out-group" (xenophobia, or fear of those who are different), but there are many examples of tribal peoples who're (or usually, were, since we've wiped so many out) still living in a way similar to that of our ancestors who had no problem with "non-reproductive" behaviors of that sort. It is quite possible for a non-reproductive member of a tribe to find a role that is helpful to the overall success of the tribe. Rather than listing examples, I will point you to a term to Google: "third gender".

Our concepts of fear and disgust for those who are radically outside the tribal norm is certainly a competitive advantage, and thus evoluationarily favored, but it is a non-sequitur to suspect that the tribe is automatically going to pick sexual preferences as one of those things to consider as a factor for in-vs-out-group identification.

However, we do tend to find that in a particular set of conditions, homophobia tends to emerge. Warrior-tribe people, especially in harsh environments with few resources and much competition, tend to push for a "breeder" mindset that encourages very particular patterns of family identity (including Patriarchy) which encourage large numbers of children for the next generation of spear-carriers. In places where tribes are not so dense and resources are more plentiful (e.g. rainforests), you tend to see more egalitarian societies and less issue with the idea of sexual identity. Of course, the three major religions on earth (Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism) all evolved out of warrior societies, and tend to promote a strong line of definition for gender roles as inherent in the "in-group" definition.

It's important to realize this for what it is, and not confuse it with an instinctive disgust for homosexuality or other "deviance". We are taught to think of those things the way we do, whether we realize how much influence those teachings have on our instincts toward xenophobia. There are many factors which limit our capacity for empathy, and I think a mark of civilized (or "evolved", if you prefer) intelligence in humanity is the capacity to recognize those limits and the source of those xenophobic ideas, and to choose to overlook them and "learn better". 

To put it another way, while xenophobia is a natural instinct that evolved, the fact that people here in SE Missouri tend to hate black people is not based on a natural revulsion to dark skin, but to social training that they absorb from a very young age, here in Klan country.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

But again that is all speculation on your part. I could also say that empathy is a reproductive disadvantage leaving compassionate people vulnerable to hostile groups. It is premature to say with any confidence that any particular evolved trait is primary for moral behavior and I believe there is good reason not to consider natural instinct a reliable moral guide. Virtuous action is often contrary to our natural instinct, like showing courage in the face of danger. You seemed to dismiss revulsion of deviate behavior as socially constructed problems. Could we not also say that social constructs like a sense of duty and honor contribute positively. Again socialization is neutral without reference to a higher standard of value that instinct or cultural norms.
Nestor Wrote:Objective morality doesn't require God as a source. It requires inquiring minds who experience different states of being in their struggle to attain what every person desires: happiness.

I wonder if you like Sam Harris as much as I do. He's awesome.
(October 5, 2015 at 10:06 am)EvidenceVersusFaith Wrote:
Nestor Wrote:Objective morality doesn't require God as a source. It requires inquiring minds who experience different states of being in their struggle to attain what every person desires: happiness.

I wonder if you like Sam Harris as much as I do. He's awesome.
Haha, I do like Sam... so long as he isn't talking about U.S. foreign policy or Israel/Palestine though. ;-)
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(October 5, 2015 at 10:02 am)ChadWooters Wrote: But again that is all speculation on your part. I could also say that empathy is a reproductive disadvantage leaving compassionate people vulnerable to hostile groups. It is premature to say with any confidence that any particular evolved trait is primary for moral behavior and I believe there is good reason not to consider natural instinct a reliable moral guide. Virtuous action is often contrary to our natural instinct, like showing courage in the face of danger. You seemed to dismiss revulsion of deviate behavior as socially constructed problems. Could we not also say that social constructs like a sense of duty and honor contribute positively. Again socialization is neutral without reference to a higher standard of value that instinct or cultural norms.

I say this with all the respect I can muster: You appear to have completely  missed the point of what I was saying. So I'll try to do better at explaining. We evolved as small tribes of hunter-gatherers, at maximum 200 in size (we know this figure because that's the most that we can observe in still-extant H-G groups, wherever civilization hasn't finished exterminating them), and our ideas about in-group/out-group and empathy and socialization are built around this sized group's social complexity level. I will explain more, below.

However, you did raise a couple of valid objections, ones which have been met with a plethora of research and writing, and which I can understand are ideas easily misunderstood, and I will also address that. You are quite right that this is a relatively new field and that much more research needs to be done on the subject. Unfortunately, people will commonly say that if we don't know everything then we don't know anything, and that's simply not true.

Concept 1: "Empathy is a reproductive disadvantage leaving compassionate people vulnerable to hostile groups"

You're still thinking in terms of the individual against a large society. This is common to American thinking (not knocking you for it, just a fact; I too am susceptible to this line of thinking), but I'm talking about 30,000 years ago, or 150,000 years ago, generation after generation of selection for suitability to a 100-200 person tribal group. The only "hostile groups" would have been other tribes who cared nothing for this  tribe's individuals or social/moral structure. However, empathy toward one's own group would convey a massive advantage on that group, even sometimes over the individual fitness of that person to reproduce; I've described kin selection to you before, but in case you've forgotten, here's a link. The evolutionary psychology version is here, explaining altruism's evolution.

Concept 2: "It is premature to say with any confidence that any particular evolved trait is primary for moral behavior" 

I'm honestly not sure what you mean by this, exactly. Most of our behavioral traits are governed by a large number of (often competing) centers of the brain, instinctive and imprinted/accultured. We have a pretty good idea of the basis for empathy and social group operation; the problem is whose definition of "moral" we're using, since you're working from one particular social-set, and I must use the term much more broadly, such as when I say that moral behavior has been observed in animals. But let's stick to humans. We know that moral behavior is specifically tied to particular sections of the brain which, when damaged, impair moral judgment but little else. The "new synthesis" in evolutionary psychology is putting together a picture which includes the following ideas:

The Journal "Science" Wrote:People are selfish, yet morally motivated. Morality is universal, yet culturally variable. Such apparent contradictions are dissolving as research from many disciplines converges on a few shared principles, including the importance of moral intuitions, the socially functional (rather than truth-seeking) nature of moral thinking, and the coevolution of moral minds with cultural practices and institutions that create diverse moral communities. I propose a fourth principle to guide future research: Morality is about more than harm and fairness. More research is needed on the collective and religious parts of the moral domain, such as loyalty, authority, and spiritual purity.

The long abstract is a bit more detailed, but you need a subscription to Science  to read the full article.

Concept 3: "I believe there is good reason not to consider natural instinct a reliable moral guide."

Yet you just tried to cite to your personal revulsion (or the common revulsion) as a moral guide. I agree with you that natural instincts are a terrible moral guide. That's why I mentioned culture and civilization. The mark of culture and civilization is an attempt to rise above our natures... however, it should be noted that part of our nature is to build cultures and establish collective moral rules of varying kinds (with some obvious ones in common, like "murder = bad").

Concept 4: "Virtuous action is often contrary to our natural instinct, like showing courage in the face of danger. You seemed to dismiss revulsion of deviate behavior as socially constructed problems. Could we not also say that social constructs like a sense of duty and honor contribute positively. Again socialization is neutral without reference to a higher standard of value that instinct or cultural norms."

I suggest you spend some time really thinking about the concept of a small group setting, and what the above researchers wrote about the three-tiered morality centers of the brain. It is precisely our evolved ability to function as a social group (tribe), showing bravery in defense of the tribe, honor in our dealings with our group, etc., which "contributed positively" enough to make us into humans! 

Similarly, revulsion toward "deviate behavior" takes on many, many guises in many cultures, and I was trying to get you to see that your particular set of revulsions is particular to your inherited culture (and tends to arise in those with high levels of inter-tribal warfare, like ancient Israel, Rome, and the Mideast). I know what you think you mean, when you say "higher standard of value", but I think it's clear that even those holy books are based on the cultures that spawned them, as a way of legitimizing a particular set of values.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 5, 2015 at 12:02 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: I say this with all the respect I can muster: You appear to have completely missed the point of what I was saying.
I appreciate your goodwill. I like you. You raise good points and seem pretty thoughtful overall. If I misunderstood then the fault is all mine for not reading carefully enough. You’ve made a couple statements about me here and elsewhere that I truly believe were unwarranted. For quite some time, I’ve been very careful to qualify all my statements about atheism and atheists numerically with “a few” or “some” or many. I have also been very careful for well over a year to not equate atheism per se with ontological naturalism, physical monism, materialism, etc. And despite all this you seem to think I am making wide sweeping generalizations from “the hate in my heart.” As for this thread, I guess I could go point by point, but in this case I don’t believe it would be necessary or productive.

Put simply, your naturalistic position makes a circular argument. You cannot evaluate the efficacy with which moral reasoning makes correct value judgments without first assuming the efficacy of moral reasoning. That’s what I mean when I say that naturalist theories of morality unjustifiably ‘privilege’ some instincts (empathy, disgust, altruism, group cohesion, etc.) over others.

The research you cite insightfully identifies external influences (culture and experience) and innate processes that contribute to the process of moral reasoning. I do not dispute any of their conclusions. But, and it is a critical ‘but’, empirical data alone cannot show that the results of moral reasoning are in fact moral. For example, scientific research can show that sociopaths reason differently from regular folks. Scientific research apart from a pre-determined measurable moral standard cannot show that the value judgments of a sociopath are morally inferior, equal, or superior to those of regular folks. From a naturalistic perspective, the best anyone can do is say that the behavior of a sociopath deviates from the cultural norm.

Secondly, it is premature to say that specific social systems are more fit than others. As for now, scientific research is too incomplete to say if the moral framework of one culture is superior to another in terms of ‘fitness’. It’s all speculation. Human societies have been organized under tribal elders and warlords, dynasties, dictators, empires, communes, and nation states. Western constitutional republics and liberal democracies have only been around for a tiny sliver of human history. There is insufficient data to suppose that Western-style approaches to governance are any more likely to insure the long-term survival of humanity than Islamic Caliphates or stone-age tribalism.
(October 5, 2015 at 4:29 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(October 5, 2015 at 12:02 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: I say this with all the respect I can muster: You appear to have completely  missed the point of what I was saying.
I appreciate your goodwill. I like you.

I think both of you are pretty cool.
Group Hug

I had a point but it's tear stained. OK, I'm better now, continue.
(October 5, 2015 at 12:02 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: I know what you think you mean, when you say "higher standard of value", but I think it's clear that even those holy books are based on the cultures that spawned them, as a way of legitimizing a particular set of values.
I was not thinking of holy books or any other form of special revelation. As a professing Christian I understand why you would make that assumption, so I forgive you. The higher standard of value of which I was thinking has something to do with recognizing the degree to which a thing conforms to its essential nature. This approach at least has the promise of achieving a measure of objectivity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 34969 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3544 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11246 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Morality versus afterlife robvalue 163 32106 March 13, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Morality quiz, and objective moralities robvalue 14 4664 January 31, 2016 at 7:15 am
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5054 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20198 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  How flexible is your religious morality? robvalue 24 7469 August 12, 2015 at 6:14 am
  The Daily Show....and Poor Discriminated Against Xtians.... Minimalist 14 4197 July 30, 2015 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Exian
  "Ultimate" meaning, "objective" morality, and "inherent" worth. Esquilax 6 3674 June 25, 2015 at 4:06 am
Last Post: ignoramus