Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 9:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists come up with ideal god
RE: Atheists come up with ideal god
[Image: s9xb6.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
[Image: Sock-Puppet-the-simpsons-1492033-300-260.jpg]
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
I wouldn't worship anything. I have sensible two-way relationships or none at all.

I would pretend to worship something if I was in danger and I thought I could pull it off as a ruse to get away at some point.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 9, 2015 at 4:09 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:there are multiple verses saying not to kill. you're questioning why God commanded the Israelites to slay the Canaanites, and the answer is that God said the sins of the Canaanites reached such a level that they deserved to die. Just like how we execute murders in our society, God exercised His justice.

Yes, the Bible says not to kill, although what it actually means is 'Adult male Israelites should not kill other adult male Israelites, everyone else is fair game.' But I digress.

If God is powerful enough to create to create the entire Universe through an act of will, why did he need the Israelites to kill the Canaanites? God could have simply blinked them out of existence, thus removing the need for one band of nomadic semi-savages to slaughter another. On a related note, could you list the sins committed by the Canaanite and Amalekite infants that the Israelis butchered?

Maybe your society executes murderers. Mine doesn't. Apparently, we're on a higher moral ground than Jehovah.

Shall I tell you why God ordered the Israelites to slay the Canaanites? It's quite simple, really: The Canaanites had land that the Israelis wanted. The Israelites were going to get the land. The most direct way of accomplishing this was war (it typically is). The wholesale butchery had to be explained some how or other, so the Israelites came up with, 'God told us to do this. Yeah, that's it. The Canaanites were going all sinny, so we stopped the sin with genocide, which is clearly not a sin if God says it's ok.'

It never fails to astonish me how theists can't grasp the moral conundra like this that fill the Bible.

Boru

God cannot do evil. He is perfect in righteousness. It's not wrong for God to kill because when he chooses to, it is just. And in fact you deserve to die too, and so do I. You think the Canaanites had it bad? Read the book of revelation. People refuse to believe that God is angry at us. And he can pour out His wrath whenever and however He pleases. In the last days He pours out His wrath on the Earth and it includes disease, the sun burning people to death, the water turning into blood, giant hail stones. We sin and sin but God is patient and loving. He is slow to anger and He came to save us, but there will be a day when He will destroy all evil people. You're not as good as you think. You think you can tell God what's best? you're but a mere spec of dust. Stop thinking you're better than Him.
(October 9, 2015 at 10:07 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote: God cannot do evil. [...]

Wait - what? I thought god could do anything. So he's not omnipotent anymore? What happened?
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Why do you have to keep talking about a story when you talk about your god?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 8, 2015 at 11:48 pm)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 11:46 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: And yet, your loving gawd has been content to stand an the sidelines for nearly 2000 years doing fuck-all to help.

He sent His Son to die, so that we don't have to pay for our sins. that's doing something

Our word for today, kids, is "allegedly".

In another thread, you asked (whether tongue-in-cheek or not I couldn't tell) how evidence works. Here's a nice teachable moment. I'll type slowly so you can follow along.

You make a claim such as the one I quoted. It's up to you to provide evidence for your claim if you wish others to believe it. And the evidence can't simply be the book from which you heard the story in the first place. The Bible itself is the claim, not the evidence for the claim. So where is your evidence that the extraordinary things claimed in the Gospels actually happened?

Bonus points if you can justify believing the ridiculous stories in the Bible while dismissing out of hand the equally ridiculous stories told in other religions' holy books.

My ideal god? Probably something along the lines of what Einstein or Spinoza believed in. Certainly an "ideal" god (whatever that actually means, if anything) would be too majestic and magnificently other to display the human, all-too human pettiness of your god. Face it, your god is the invention of a barbarous and ignorant people. They get a pass from me because they lived during a barbarous and ignorant time, and their religious beliefs were in line with their locale and place in history. You don't have that excuse.
Ways in which I am more powerful than God:

1) I can easily demonstrate I exist

2) I can lie

3) I can do "evil"

4) I can provide useful, practical information to people that they didn't already know

5) I can move objects about

6) I can walk

7) I can forgive without having to kill my offspring
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 9, 2015 at 10:10 am)Stimbo Wrote: Why do you have to keep talking about a story when you talk about your god?

Excellent question. Too bad it's too subtle to make an impression on him.
(October 9, 2015 at 10:07 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
(October 9, 2015 at 4:09 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Yes, the Bible says not to kill, although what it actually means is 'Adult male Israelites should not kill other adult male Israelites, everyone else is fair game.' But I digress.

If God is powerful enough to create to create the entire Universe through an act of will, why did he need the Israelites to kill the Canaanites? God could have simply blinked them out of existence, thus removing the need for one band of nomadic semi-savages to slaughter another. On a related note, could you list the sins committed by the Canaanite and Amalekite infants that the Israelis butchered?

Maybe your society executes murderers. Mine doesn't. Apparently, we're on a higher moral ground than Jehovah.

Shall I tell you why God ordered the Israelites to slay the Canaanites? It's quite simple, really: The Canaanites had land that the Israelis wanted. The Israelites were going to get the land. The most direct way of accomplishing this was war (it typically is). The wholesale butchery had to be explained some how or other, so the Israelites came up with, 'God told us to do this. Yeah, that's it. The Canaanites were going all sinny, so we stopped the sin with genocide, which is clearly not a sin if God says it's ok.'

It never fails to astonish me how theists can't grasp the moral conundra like this that fill the Bible.

Boru

God cannot do evil. He is perfect in righteousness. It's not wrong for God to kill because when he chooses to, it is just. And in fact you deserve to die too, and so do I. You think the Canaanites had it bad? Read the book of revelation. People refuse to believe that God is angry at us. And he can pour out His wrath whenever and however He pleases. In the last days He pours out His wrath on the Earth and it includes disease, the sun burning people to death, the water turning into blood, giant hail stones. We sin and sin but God is patient and loving. He is slow to anger and He came to save us, but there will be a day when He will destroy all evil people. You're not as good as you think. You think you can tell God what's best? you're but a mere spec of dust. Stop thinking you're better than Him.

I exist. God doesn't. By dint of my existence, I kick the shit outta your imaginary friend.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 7261 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 4359 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 2464 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2359 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How come there arent many atheists such as Bill Maher Roeki 30 9185 July 6, 2017 at 3:10 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  God can come 2nd to my son..... maestroanth 6 1494 January 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Ugh, how come I, an atheist, have the ability to ACT more "Christian" than...... maestroanth 7 1926 April 9, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why did you come to this board? Kingpin 131 22833 August 18, 2015 at 8:38 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why do never-theists come to atheist forums? watchamadoodle 26 7309 January 8, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: watchamadoodle
  The Perfect Ideal World Created By Science Mozart Link 0 914 June 3, 2014 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: Mozart Link