Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 10:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homosexuality no longer a sin
RE: Homosexuality no longer a sin
(June 5, 2018 at 11:35 am)MysticKnight Wrote: We choose whether we are honest or not about a subject.

Not necessarily. If someone believes something they could easily be mistaken about it, but the sincerity of their belief effectively cancels out any conscious and willful dishonesty.

Quote:And the striving has to be by how much we believe it's worthy to strive for knowledge, and the heart of that, is how much we choose to love and value God.

I value knowledge but I don't think your god is real; therefore, its only value to me is as a cultural and literary curiosity.
(June 5, 2018 at 1:42 pm)Astreja Wrote:
(June 5, 2018 at 11:35 am)MysticKnight Wrote: We choose whether we are honest or not about a subject.

Not necessarily. If someone believes something they could easily be mistaken about it, but the sincerity of their belief effectively cancels out any conscious and willful dishonesty.

Quote:And the striving has to be by how much we believe it's worthy to strive for knowledge, and the heart of that, is how much we choose to love and value God.

I value knowledge but I don't think your god is real; therefore, its only value to me is as a cultural and literary curiosity.

We choose to be honest or not regarding a subject.

Whether we can honestly truly believe in wrong things that are not justified, that is a different subject.  But you choose what you believe is justified and you also build or refine or recall methods out of choice, of how to justify belief.

You also choose who to listen to. When you guys listen to people who have no proof for their stance over a holy book that claims is filled with insights and proofs is a choice.

And loving evil near or equal to good, or loving falsehood as much as truth, this is all will time decisions we make.

And no you can't just go from one end to the other in a second, but where you stand in this regard, is all a choice.
Methinks you are long overdue for a good, long look in the mirror.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(June 5, 2018 at 1:51 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: We choose to be honest or not regarding a subject.

I think most people do think that they are choosing honesty.  That doesn't automatically make them right.

Quote:You also choose who to listen to. When you guys listen to people who have no proof for their stance over a holy book that claims is filled with insights and proofs is a choice.

Yes, there are considerable insights in the Elder Edda.  I am particularly fond of the Hávamál.  I've also spotted a few good bits in the Daodejing, the Dhammapada, Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, and perhaps one or two from the Bible and the Quran.  (If nothing else, "There is no compulsion in religion" is probably the key insight from the Quran, and certainly the most palatable part that I've read.)

"Proof," though?  Um, no.  Not even evidence.
(June 5, 2018 at 1:53 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Methinks you are long overdue for a good, long look in the mirror.

Ah mirrors, They are always strangely reversed horizontally, so why we don't appear upside down on them? Big Grin
(June 5, 2018 at 3:21 pm)Astreja Wrote:   I am particularly fond of the Hávamál.  

Good shit...right?  I have it on a necklace in a usb around my neck, lol.  No shit. It doesnt have pride of place, tho, the 2018 commercial vegetable production manual is on the same usb too, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 5, 2018 at 6:29 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(June 3, 2018 at 8:59 pm)Fireball Wrote: But then again, has anyone seen the photo of Francis leering at the bosom of that well-endowed woman, at the Vatican?

[Image: ad7nGAN_700b.jpg]

Hilarious Nurse me! This got buried by newer posts. Is this real or photoshopped, I wonder.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Seems photoshopped to me.
(June 5, 2018 at 4:41 pm)Kit Wrote: Seems photoshopped to me.

It's spirit photography. Tongue
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Those are fake. I'm talking about the two pictures.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 1004 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Did Jesus ever sin? ignoramus 59 12311 May 3, 2018 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  There Is No Sin! chimp3 236 35217 April 21, 2018 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Homosexuality WinterHold 169 20348 February 17, 2018 at 4:09 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Why are most religions agains homosexuality? Der/die AtheistIn 140 23944 December 22, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Antares
  Why as an Atheist I Cannot Sin Rhondazvous 35 8114 September 17, 2017 at 7:42 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Adam's Sin -- Independence and Revellion InteresedUser 24 8494 May 27, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: chimp3
  The stupidity of sin robvalue 164 23098 October 14, 2016 at 7:32 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why are you Against Homosexuality (to theists) ScienceAf 107 17318 September 2, 2016 at 2:59 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Theists Hate Being Parodied Even More Than They Hate "Sin" Minimalist 14 4200 April 21, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: GUBU