Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 23, 2024, 9:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The simple truth
RE: The simple truth
(February 14, 2014 at 4:52 am)max-greece Wrote: Hello TGN - I didn't realize you were back.

I am a bit disappointed that your response to my explanation of the lack of knowledge of the functions of the heart by Jesus yielded merely some brief retort that God found you. I guess you couldn't address the actual issue.

In the meantime I am fascinated by this:

Quote:Well I'm sorry you find it funny, but you admitted that it's possible that what I believe is true. And since I have received the truth of the gospel supernaturally and directly from God, who cannot lie, I'm letting you know that it is impossible that what you believe is true.

What you are saying is that God provided you, personally with your very own proof of his existence.

Why?

Let me put this another way. God demands faith, faith denies proof. You are supposed to believe in God without direct and supernatural intervention.

If God gave it to you - then you needed it. If you needed it then faith alone is not enough. Proof is required. We haven't received any proof. Therefore, accepting the lack of faith - just like you - we are 100% entitled to not believe.

But God apparently wants us to believe. What possible reason could he have for producing evidence for you but not for us?

There are 2 possibilities:

1. You are his type and we are not.
2. You are delusional.

As the first possibility appears to fly in the face of God wanting us to believe we are left with the second conclusion.

Sorry dude. Get help.

Have you ever heard of the Doctrine of Election? I'll try to sum it up in a couple of verses for you:

"There is none who seeks after God." (Rom 3:11)

"Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed." (Acts 13:48)

"So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy." (Rom 9:16)

"You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?” But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?” Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?" (Rom 9:19-21)
(February 14, 2014 at 2:59 pm)The Good News Wrote: I will definitely hold it as untrue if it contradicts the Bible.

Ah, so your ignorance is willful.

Have fun with that.
(February 14, 2014 at 3:11 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: The problem with comparing the bible and scientific peer-reviewed articles, is that the articles are reliable, valid and accurate and (in most cases) demonstrably true, whereas the bible is not. The bible is made of translations of copies of copies of translations of copies of translations by anonymous authors. On many occasions it defies reality.

How do I think life began? I don't know. Scientists think it could be abiogenesis, or maybe some kind of seeding. Christians think that god magicked us here out of dirt.
I go for the answer with more explanatory power.

I know if God's hand hadn't been protecting it, it would have ended up a complete mess. Yet it's able to do things like this:

(This is a copy and paste of a message I sent to someone)

The Bible contains many prophecies that have come true and many that are currently coming true. Throughout the OT the Lord Jesus Christ's coming is prophesied many many times. The most complete one being in Isaiah 53. Also in the OT there are pictures hidden within the actual stories which portray events that had not and have not yet taken place. Take, for example, the story of the passover. The Israelites, who were held captive in Egypt, were commanded to sacrifice a lamb without blemish(Ex 12:5) and put its blood on the doorposts(Ex 12:22). The next morning they went out through the bloodstained door and were free from their captivity in Egypt. This symbolises the salvation which God intended to bring through Christ. Their captivity in Egypt symbolises man's captivity to sin. The lamb without blemish symbolises the sinless Jesus Christ(1 Pet 1:19). And the Israelites leaving their captivity in Egypt through the bloodstained doorposts, symbolise that man is freed from their captivity to sin when they enter through the blood of Christ(Heb 9:11-28). To affirm that this truly is what it symbolises, the following verse makes it clear:

"...For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us." (1 Cor 5:7)
(February 14, 2014 at 3:21 pm)The Good News Wrote:
(February 14, 2014 at 4:52 am)max-greece Wrote: Hello TGN - I didn't realize you were back.

I am a bit disappointed that your response to my explanation of the lack of knowledge of the functions of the heart by Jesus yielded merely some brief retort that God found you. I guess you couldn't address the actual issue.

In the meantime I am fascinated by this:

What you are saying is that God provided you, personally with your very own proof of his existence.

Why?

Let me put this another way. God demands faith, faith denies proof. You are supposed to believe in God without direct and supernatural intervention.

If God gave it to you - then you needed it. If you needed it then faith alone is not enough. Proof is required. We haven't received any proof. Therefore, accepting the lack of faith - just like you - we are 100% entitled to not believe.

But God apparently wants us to believe. What possible reason could he have for producing evidence for you but not for us?

There are 2 possibilities:

1. You are his type and we are not.
2. You are delusional.

As the first possibility appears to fly in the face of God wanting us to believe we are left with the second conclusion.

Sorry dude. Get help.

Have you ever heard of the Doctrine of Election? I'll try to sum it up in a couple of verses for you:

"Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed." (Acts 13:48)

"So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy." (Rom 9:16)

"You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?” But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?” Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?" (Rom 9:19-21)

Definitely 2 then.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
(February 14, 2014 at 3:49 pm)max-greece Wrote:
(February 14, 2014 at 3:21 pm)The Good News Wrote: Have you ever heard of the Doctrine of Election? I'll try to sum it up in a couple of verses for you:

Definitely 2 then.

No, I'm not.
So the Bible is true because it predicts things that the Bible says happened as well as predicting things that haven't happened?

You really find that this is a convincing argument?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(February 14, 2014 at 3:59 pm)Tonus Wrote: So the Bible is true because it predicts things that the Bible says happened as well as predicting things that haven't happened?

No, the Bible is true because it is true.
troll
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(February 14, 2014 at 4:03 pm)The Good News Wrote:
(February 14, 2014 at 3:59 pm)Tonus Wrote: So the Bible is true because it predicts things that the Bible says happened as well as predicting things that haven't happened?

No, the Bible is true because it is true.

ROFLOL
You sir... you played well
I salute you.
Here, next time use one of these: Wink
(February 14, 2014 at 4:08 pm)pocaracas Wrote:
(February 14, 2014 at 4:03 pm)The Good News Wrote: No, the Bible is true because it is true.

ROFLOL
You sir... you played well
I salute you.
Here, next time use one of these: Wink

I wasn't playing anything. I will try to explain what I meant:

If I was to say to you that it is true that I am a human being that is typing on a computer, and you said "no, I don't believe it, you do not exist." Then I sent you a picture of myself but you still denied my existence, would I expect you to believe that I exist because I sent you that picture? No, I would expect you to believe I exist because I exist. If you don't believe I exist it is your own folly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion: Simple Lies for Simple People Minimalist 3 593 September 16, 2018 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Truth or swag? Angrboda 64 11283 June 4, 2018 at 3:08 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  A simple question for theists masterofpuppets 86 23251 April 10, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: emjay
  A simple God question if I may. ignoramus 28 6134 February 17, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Lek
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 14711 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  I was wrong about the simple choice. Mystic 42 5793 January 3, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  It's a simple choice: Mystic 72 7800 December 31, 2016 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Theists: would you view the truth? robvalue 154 21177 December 25, 2016 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  How to become a God, in 3 simple steps (absent faith/belief): ProgrammingGodJordan 91 16736 November 28, 2016 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Simple facts don't lie JBrentonK 78 15265 December 29, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy