Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 5, 2024, 2:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who killed more people Atheists or Christians?
RE: Who killed more people Atheists or Christians?
(March 21, 2014 at 6:14 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: But the question was not "who killed more in the name of their ideology" was it Wink. It was simply "we killed more".

If that is the question than not a single person I heard of was killed in the name of atheism.
(March 21, 2014 at 6:15 pm)tor Wrote:
(March 21, 2014 at 6:14 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: But the question was not "who killed more in the name of their ideology" was it Wink. It was simply "we killed more".

If that is the question than not a single person I heard of was killed in the name of atheism.

Indeed!

But it wasn't. Interesting that everyone seems to be shifting the debate to that.

Atheism is never going to be the opium of the masses.

I suspect if you were going for the league table of stuff people were killed in the name of, nationalism would win hands down.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
The more accurate question would be, "who killed more people, totalitarian communist dictators or Christians?".

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(March 21, 2014 at 6:33 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: The more accurate question would be, "who killed more people, totalitarian communist dictators or Christians?".

But what difference does it make? People are dead. Communism no longer around.
Are you sure? I think there are probably some communists still around somewhere...
Yeah so are pagans and zeus worshipers.
(March 21, 2014 at 6:43 pm)tor Wrote: Yeah so are pagans and zeus worshipers.
ROFLOL I dunno if you know this, but there is actually a thriving pagan community, at least in my neck of the woods. I know this because I was homeschooled, and in Alabama you have to register with a "church school" in order to homeschool, and most of them are either Christian or pagan. Christian church schools are the reputable ones, but most require a statement of faith, and pagan church schools are total hippie places that don't even require grades.
(March 21, 2014 at 4:49 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(March 21, 2014 at 4:08 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Of the 20th century's big four megaolmaniacal dictators: Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot; only Stalin was unequivocally an atheist. Hitler was at least a Christian-y deist, and the other two were Buddhists (Tibetan and Theravayan, respectively). who referred to heaven as a real place and Mao once mentioned the 'Great God' was going to call him soon.

Of course, Christians to atheists is an apples-and-oranges comparison...Christians to humanists would be the more relevant comparison these days.

No, Mao is as atheist as they come. He usage of "Great God" was almost assuredly figurative, much as Mikhail Gorbachev spoke of "God on high", or modern Chinese communists speak of death as "going to see Marx".

Thanks 4 that! Also, most Dictators have a God complex. They think They're it.
(March 21, 2014 at 7:56 pm)Thunder Cunt Wrote:
(March 21, 2014 at 4:49 pm)Chuck Wrote: No, Mao is as atheist as they come. He usage of "Great God" was almost assuredly figurative, much as Mikhail Gorbachev spoke of "God on high", or modern Chinese communists speak of death as "going to see Marx".

Thanks 4 that! Also, most Dictators have a God complex. They think They're it.

Yeah like Moses, Jesus and Muhammad.
(March 19, 2014 at 8:25 pm)futilethewinds Wrote:
(March 19, 2014 at 8:24 pm)Thunder Cunt Wrote: Communists killed over 100 million people.
Communism =/= Atheism.

Sorry - but Communism is a political system
Atheism is the lack of belief in imaginary gods.
YOUR statement is NONSENSE - GIGO
All communists are not atheists - and all atheists are NOT communists - so get your facts straight

That is the mistake this question evokes - Did the communists kill people to eliminate their political enemies - or did they do it to eliminate the belief in gods. Since atheists do not believe in gods - killing people for that belief does not further their cause - but killing people who attempt to overthrow their power did.

So - communist killings were not religiously motivated

(March 19, 2014 at 8:41 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: Seems like a troll question.

IT is - and it is irrelevant

THe question is whether the people were killed BECAUSE of their religious beliefs -

And in most cases - political reasons were the reason for the killings.

However - in the case the questioner attempts to deflect - Hitler did say that he killed the Jews to avenge their killing of the christ - a religious reason for a mass murder.

Xtians like to deny that Hitler was Xtian because of his actions - but it is clear that Hitler was both a theist and a christian - and christians can disobey their religion - that is called sin - but they are still xtians.

Atheists do not accept the existence of imaginary gods - and Hitler NEVER was an atheist.

(March 19, 2014 at 8:46 pm)Thunder Cunt Wrote: If that's the case then I won't ask questions like this anymore. Wasn't trying to provoke people. The thread can be closed for all I care. I was curious what the answers would be.

A practicing Christian is actually suppose to love their enemies. How many Obedient Christians are there? Don't know if I have met them.

I do not have to prove a god does not exist - sorry
The claim of the existence of a god is YOURS - and therefore it is YOURS to prove. YOU cannot do it.

I do not say I do not believe - I have no reason to accept any exist - and no xtian - amish or otherwise - has ever provided a reason otherwise. Atheism is NOT a belief - it is accepting proven reality.

(March 19, 2014 at 8:51 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: Chill man, I didn't jump down your throat. o.o

My point is that you would probably think I was just trying to provoke resident theists if I made a thread titled "Who's molested more children: Atheists or Christians?", and rightly so.

Indeed - what has happened in the past does not prove one side or the other correct - reality does that.

History has lots of examples of people living honorable - ethical - moral - and good lives - without the need to accept imaginary beings for which NO proof is ever offered.

(March 21, 2014 at 6:40 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: Are you sure? I think there are probably some communists still around somewhere...

Real Communism existed only is very small communes outside of what we would consider the Communist countries - which were NOT truly communist to begin with.

Communes in several countries still exist - where all are equal - and share everything in the commune.

Communism in the USSR and China - was basically just a name to hide a totalitarian regime that had nothing to do with real communism.

(March 21, 2014 at 4:49 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(March 21, 2014 at 4:08 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Of the 20th century's big four megaolmaniacal dictators: Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot; only Stalin was unequivocally an atheist. Hitler was at least a Christian-y deist, and the other two were Buddhists (Tibetan and Theravayan, respectively). who referred to heaven as a real place and Mao once mentioned the 'Great God' was going to call him soon.

Of course, Christians to atheists is an apples-and-oranges comparison...Christians to humanists would be the more relevant comparison these days.

No, Mao is as atheist as they come. He usage of "Great God" was almost assuredly figurative, much as Mikhail Gorbachev spoke of "God on high", or modern Chinese communists speak of death as "going to see Marx".

Mao - was a Buddhist - and ALL Buddhists are atheist because Buddhism is a religion in which NO god exists.

(March 21, 2014 at 6:40 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: Are you sure? I think there are probably some communists still around somewhere...

Real Communism existed only is very small communes outside of what we would consider the Communist countries - which were NOT truly communist to begin with.

Communes in several countries still exist - where all are equal - and share everything in the commune.

Communism in the USSR and China - was basically just a name to hide a totalitarian regime that had nothing to do with real communism.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 613 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8374 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  In UK atheists considred more moral than theists. downbeatplumb 254 31256 September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 4335 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Who killed Jesus? Graufreud 56 4981 August 8, 2018 at 9:32 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Seventh-Day Adventist churchgoers killed by lightning zebo-the-fat 19 3654 March 13, 2018 at 12:46 am
  Religious people are less intelligent than atheists Bow Before Zeus 186 21987 December 23, 2017 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Cyberman
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3536 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
  Two More Xhristard Assholes Killed Their Kid Minimalist 17 4699 June 25, 2017 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Why are Christians obsessed with Gay people? Cecelia 109 18822 January 29, 2017 at 1:37 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92