Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 7:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I work for a church and I can't stand it any more.
RE: I work for a church and I can't stand it any more.
You seem to be using some mighty bizarre methods to try and reassure yourself.

If I became an atheist because it was popular, it would be the first time I ever did such a thing. I've always been the least fashionable kid, bullied relentlessly at school for not conforming.

Also, I've been an atheist since birth. My school tried to press it on me a bit when I was 5, but even then I could see it was horse shit. Sorry.

Atheism is taking over. All it will take is for indoctrination to stop.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 27, 2014 at 11:31 am)Alex K Wrote:
(December 27, 2014 at 11:29 am)strawdawg Wrote: Things run in cycles. It's the way the earth is. Everything repeats it'sself. It's winter and there will be another winter.Saturday and there will be another saturday. Women have cycles. Being a atheist is popular now but it will fade only to repeat its'self. Native americans believe life was a circle. When you're at the top of the circle you're doing great when you're at the bottom you're at the lowest point. At the bottom of the circle is not the place to be.....except, you have no place to go but up.

Yes, everything is always cyclical, that's why they had pocket calculators in ancient rome.

Okay, but tell me this. Say you for some reason become a Christian. Would you feel less important or less intelligent?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
(December 26, 2014 at 10:16 am)fr0d0 Wrote: No, scientists can indoctrinate. That is, teach that science says more than science does. Teach children that science says there is no God, for example, when science says no such thing. Same with all indoctrination... It's teaching something which isn't true.

I love science. I'm awed by it, and respect it absolutely. I never knowingly compromise it.

Yes it's the humans which misrepresent it. Just like you misrepresent faith.

SCIENTISTS.......are not the tool, they use the tool of SCIENTIFIC METHOD.

Again you are trying to treat the human as being the hammer itself.

Scientific method is not a human, it is a tool, it what a human uses. Hitler used "scientists" to make weapons and even torture people.

Ethical scientists will challenge other scientists they think are using it to do bad things. Just like ethical doctors will call out bad doctors and have their licences removed or even to the point of having them arrested.

You are not making an argument. You are making a dodge to justify cherry picking science and ignoring what conflicts with your beliefs.

No I am not misrepresenting "faith" either. It is also an excuse to hid behind warm fuzzy feelings and wishful thinking.
Ever noticed how people almost always adopt the most popular religion in their area? That is following the latest fad. Notice how no one ever looks back at old "uncool" religions to see if they may have been right? Poor old Odin? Nah, they are always ditched for the God that's in fashion.

If you were born elsewhere, you'd be a Muslim most likely. If you were born in an earlier time, you'd worship Egyptian gods or something. Everyone just latches on, no religion is any different from the last, it's all hokum.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(December 27, 2014 at 11:37 am)strawdawg Wrote: Okay, but tell me this. Say you for some reason become a Christian. Would you feel less important or less intelligent?

So you agree that not everything is cyclical.
Anyways, I'd probably feel much more important, because suddenly the Creator of the whole universe totally cares all about where I stick my junk and stuff. Right now I'm just a walking sentient meat popsicle on a mote of dust in a huge uncaring universe.
More intelligent? My intelligence would probably be lowered effectively because so much energy would go into rationalizing nonsense...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I killed God with my mind.

You're welcome!

Index of my best videos
(December 27, 2014 at 11:44 am)robvalue Wrote: I killed God with my mind.

You're welcome!

What is it about God that seems to irk you?
(December 27, 2014 at 12:04 pm)strawdawg Wrote: What is it about God that seems to irk you?

His fanclub. And that he's even worse than Justin Bieber.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 27, 2014 at 12:06 pm)abaris Wrote:
(December 27, 2014 at 12:04 pm)strawdawg Wrote: What is it about God that seems to irk you?

His fanclub. And that he's even worse than Justin Bieber.
Things change. Odds are you are young strong and healthy. That would make you very fortunate. Odds are you're of European descent. Let all that change and your view of things would more than likely change.
(December 27, 2014 at 12:16 pm)strawdawg Wrote:
(December 27, 2014 at 12:06 pm)abaris Wrote: His fanclub. And that he's even worse than Justin Bieber.
Things change. Odds are you are young strong and healthy. That would make you very fortunate. Odds are you're of European descent. Let all that change and your view of things would more than likely change.

A view don't become more true just because it tends to be held statistically more frequently by the poor, desperate and uneducated.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1279 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Missionary work, proselytizing Figbash 6 1151 July 30, 2021 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5756 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3828 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Pennsylvania Church asks couples to bring in their AR-15's so they can bless the guns Cecelia 63 10110 March 17, 2018 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Money raising through child work Der/die AtheistIn 12 3408 December 11, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3452 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3145 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink vorlon13 11 2745 August 1, 2017 at 12:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  And Yet, They Work For A Fucktard Like Ham Minimalist 22 3304 July 18, 2017 at 3:50 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie