Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 8:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If I were an Atheist
RE: If I were an Atheist
(May 2, 2015 at 4:36 am)abaris Wrote: May I just note that I don't give one single shit about humanity going extinct at some point. I'm living here and now and there are quite a few more important issues to worry about. For me the argument is on the same lines as the sun blowing up in about 3 to 4 billion years. Well, I won't be there to suffer the consequences.

Extinction is independent from discourse. It does not care about human discourse either. It is the elephant in the room, so to speak, by far the most important issue. One can ignore it, but the ontological fact of ungroundedness remains true.
It's possible to talk about more than one subject.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 2, 2015 at 4:50 am)AdamLOV Wrote:
(May 2, 2015 at 4:36 am)abaris Wrote: May I just note that I don't give one single shit about humanity going extinct at some point. I'm living here and now and there are quite a few more important issues to worry about. For me the argument is on the same lines as the sun blowing up in about 3 to 4 billion years. Well, I won't be there to suffer the consequences.

Extinction is independent from discourse. It does not care about human discourse either. It is the elephant in the room, so to speak, by far the most important issue. One can ignore it, but the ontological fact of ungroundedness remains true.

So... what?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
The only take-home I can get from this is that we should be talking only about preventing extinction. All other discourse is wasted. I don't agree with this extreme stance, but at least it is a stance.

Otherwise, all that is being suggested is that we sit around moaning about it, and how pointless things are.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(May 2, 2015 at 3:34 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Eventually the world will end, so why get out of bed?

Ontological antinomianism brackets activity (all activity). This by no means implies that one should not persist in the semblance of activity, merely that one recognize the contingency and, by consequence, senselessness of activity. It is to act without belief in one's own actions.

(May 2, 2015 at 3:34 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Eventually the world will end, so why get out of bed?

Ontological antinomianism brackets activity (all activity). This by no means implies that one should not persist in the semblance of activity, merely that one recognize the contingency and, by consequence, senselessness of activity. It is to act without belief in one's own actions.
I'm sure most people here (atheists at least) would admit there is no such thing as objective meaning, that we'll eventually go extinct, and that hard solipsism can't be beaten. We don't pretend otherwise.

Does that satisfy your criteria? What is to be gained my mentioning it constantly and not trying to enjoy whatever appears to be real and to help those who also appear to be real? And addressing problems that appear to be real? What is the alternative?

Index of my best videos
(May 2, 2015 at 5:16 am)robvalue Wrote: I'm sure most people here (atheists at least) would admit there is no such thing as objective meaning, that we'll eventually go extinct, and that hard solipsism can't be beaten. We don't pretend otherwise.

Does that satisfy your criteria? What is to be gained my mentioning it constantly and not trying to enjoy whatever appears to be real and to help those who also appear to be real? And addressing problems that appear to be real? What is the alternative?

In the above I seem to have accidentally sent the reply twice, apologies for the mistake. Now as to the matter at hand, the alternative to action would be contemplation. One who contemplates places less stress on the environment that one who acts (reproduces, works, etc).
(May 2, 2015 at 5:13 am)AdamLOV Wrote:

And in the end kinetic energy of the universe will abate and everything will end to be just endless cold, the heat death of the universe.

So what?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 2, 2015 at 5:13 am)AdamLOV Wrote:

It reminds me of the myth of Sisyphus. But I could think of nothing more senseless than refusing to push the rock if in fact doing so is a source of pleasure.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(May 2, 2015 at 5:45 am)Nestor Wrote:
(May 2, 2015 at 5:13 am)AdamLOV Wrote: Ontological antinomianism brackets activity (all activity). This by no means implies that one should not persist in the semblance of activity, merely that one recognize the contingency and, by consequence, senselessness of activity. It is to act without belief in one's own actions.
It reminds me of the myth of Sisyphus. But I could think of nothing more senseless than refusing to push the rock if in fact doing so is a source of pleasure.
It gave him a goal and if he worked on his technique well maybe tomorrow will be the day.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3545 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1705 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If there were no atheists? Graufreud 24 4203 July 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What were your first questions? Sayetsu 51 7875 March 28, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If christianity were true [hypothetical] dyresand 27 3891 June 17, 2016 at 4:22 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Do you think you'd still be a believer if the bible were more pleasant/accurate? Cecelia 53 7274 May 17, 2016 at 11:11 am
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
Question If you were ever a theist... *Deidre* 347 52511 January 12, 2016 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  If You Were A Theist Shuffle 15 3698 August 29, 2015 at 1:57 am
Last Post: IATIA
  how old were you jackson 57 9821 January 25, 2015 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Case closed on making cases against the case for stuff, in case you were wondering. Whateverist 27 5827 December 11, 2014 at 8:12 am
Last Post: robvalue