Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 12:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Hell and Forgiveness
RE: On Hell and Forgiveness
Next at ten, diagnostic and technical definitions do not always match one for one with vernacular or colloquial use.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 30, 2018 at 5:26 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(August 30, 2018 at 4:55 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: For those claiming that theistic beliefs mean a person is delusional, I assume you realize that 17% of people world wide are non religious. Do you really think 83% of the earth's population have delusional disorder? (plus whatever percentage would come from the non religious group). That is an astounding number of people with a pretty serious mental disorder. Maybe we are wrong for having a religion, and you are right for not. But to claim we are all mentally ill, all 83% of us, is unreasonable and illogical.

Yeah CL... the word delusion is connotatively linked to mental disorder, but check the definition...

Quote:de·lu·sion
dəˈlo͞oZHən/
noun

1. an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder.
    "the delusion of being watched"
    synonyms:
    misapprehensionmisconceptionmisunderstandingmistakeerrormisinterpretationmisconstructionmisbelief
    fallacyillusionfantasy

misconception... misunderstanding... mistake... all synonyms. When separated from its typical association with mental disorder, one can see why an atheist would consider theism "delusional."

...It also says it is typically a symptom of mental illness. And that it is "maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument." By believing in God, you are not contradicting what is generally accepted as reality.

I think it is dishonest for you to say that people calling me delusional is the same as being told I am mistaken, have a misconception, or have a misunderstanding. I don't mind being told by people that they think I am mistaken. It is when I'm being told I'm delusional, particularly by people who themselves have a mental illness while I don't, that upsets me.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(August 30, 2018 at 5:29 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: [quote='vulcanlogician' pid='1808061' dateline='1535664368']

Yeah CL... the word delusion is connotatively linked to mental disorder, but check the definition...

misconception... misunderstanding... mistake... all synonyms. When separated from its typical association with mental disorder, one can see why an atheist would consider theism "delusional."

https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictio.../Delusions

Quote:Delusions
Definition
A delusion is an unshakable belief in something untrue. These irrational beliefs defy normal reasoning, and remain firm even when overwhelming proof is presented to dispute them. Delusions are often accompanied by hallucinations and/or feelings of paranoia, which act to strengthen confidence in the delusion. Delusions are distinct from culturally or religiously based beliefs that may be seen as untrue by outsiders.

But you quoted from a medical dictionary whose purpose is to try to quantify delusion as a behavioral phenomenon. If a medical dictionary were to categorize belief in God as delusional, it would thereby advance what you and I know to be untrue: that belief in God constitutes mental illness.

To call theism delusional in the colloquial sense is to say that theists are wrong. To call them delusional in the medical sense is to say they are mentally ill. To me, the shoe fits according to the first definition... not the second.

edit: you have a point as far as "commonly accepted"...
My brother thinks his manager is out to get him.  He's fuckin delusional.  I tell him that all the time.  There's nothing about her or anything she's ever done that would lead a person to think that..and plenty that would lead a more rational person to conclude otherwise.

Nevertheless, he doesn't have a disorder on account of thinking so, lol. The religious are in an identical position..regardless of whether or not they're sick.
(the ones who babble about talking to god and believe it..tho, yeah those guys are fuckin nuts - even the religious know that those guys are fuckin nuts)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 30, 2018 at 5:44 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(August 30, 2018 at 5:29 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: [quote='vulcanlogician' pid='1808061' dateline='1535664368']

https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictio.../Delusions

Quote:Delusions
Definition
A delusion is an unshakable belief in something untrue. These irrational beliefs defy normal reasoning, and remain firm even when overwhelming proof is presented to dispute them. Delusions are often accompanied by hallucinations and/or feelings of paranoia, which act to strengthen confidence in the delusion. Delusions are distinct from culturally or religiously based beliefs that may be seen as untrue by outsiders.

But you quoted from a medical dictionary whose purpose is to try to quantify delusion as a behavioral phenomenon. If a medical dictionary were to categorize belief in God as delusional, it would thereby advance what you and I know to be untrue: that belief in God constitutes mental illness.

To call theism delusional in the colloquial sense is to say that theists are wrong. To call them delusional in the medical sense is to say they are mentally ill. To me, the shoe fits according to the first definition... not the second.

But even the "non medical" definition of delusion doesnt fit, and says it is typically a mental illness.

Maybe some of the people here who call me delusional don't mean it in a medical sense, but it still has a demeaning connotation due to its association with mental disorder. And they know that. Otherwise they would just say I'm wrong or mistaken.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
You'd think a person might be more concerned that their tormentors were accurately describing them..rather than whether or not that description was unkind.  : shrugs :
(August 30, 2018 at 5:49 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: But even the "non medical" definition of delusion doesnt fit, and says it is typically a mental illness.

Maybe some of the people here who call me delusional don't mean it in a medical sense, but it still has a demeaning connotation due to its association with mental illness. And they know that. Otherwise they would just say I'm wrong or mistaken.

Typically is not always... meaning that even if something is typically used in a certain way, that doesn't mean that each time the term is used it refers to mental illness.

On the second point, I think it's inaccurate to call you delusional. You once said something like, "The Bible is a spiritual and moral guide; it is not a science book." While I think there are better moral guidebooks out there than the Bible, I have a hard time classifying you as delusional when there are people out there who say, "The Bible is a science book." I'll reserve the term for them. Lol. You, CL, are just wrong. Tongue
OTOH, catholics do think that cantrips turn crackers into something else, that a man in a dress can speak infallibly for a god, and that one man and one woman were literally created and fell..among other goodies. 

"Wrong" doesn't quite approach that.  I was wrong about how much money I owed the electricians.
Quote:But even the "non medical" definition of delusion doesnt fit, and says it is typically a mental illness. 
Yes it does and typically is just that typically 

Quote:Maybe some of the people here who call me delusional don't mean it in a medical sense, but it still has a demeaning connotation due to its association with mental disorder. And they know that. Otherwise they would just say I'm wrong or mistaken
No it's not it's simply describing the condition and that's your opinion of the term we should use not a necessary term we should use .

Quote:...It also says it is typically a symptom of mental illness. And that it is "maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument." By believing in God, you are not contradicting what is generally accepted as reality. 
Yes you are 

Quote:I think it is dishonest for you to say that people calling me delusional is the same as being told I am mistaken, have a misconception, or have a misunderstanding. 
What you think is about it is irrelevant  that's what they mean when they say it .

Quote:I don't mind being told by people that they think I am mistaken. It is when I'm being told I'm delusional, particularly by people who themselves have a mental illness while I don't, that upsets me.
Yeah no
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(August 30, 2018 at 2:26 pm)Tizheruk Wrote:
(August 30, 2018 at 2:21 pm)robvalue Wrote: If god created this shit hole I live in, then he's a dick. If instead I lived in paradise, then sure, I may be able to love him if he showed up.
You would go mad in paradise but indeed the shit world he created is awful as well .

Sure yes, I'd probably need to be designed differently to fully appreciate it.

To expand on what I said in general:

Seeing as I'm told that the guy who made this world has unlimited power and resources, creating things as they actually are is downright sadistic, in my opinion. The amount of suffering in the world is so horrible that I have to block it out just to be able to function. So a hypothetical question about how loving God is can't apply to reality as it stands now, unless God is also a complete moron with no idea what he is doing with all that power.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GoodFight310 and the visions of Hell Ah_Hyug 0 793 September 20, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Ah_Hyug
  On the subject of Hell and Salvation Alternatehistory95 278 30142 March 10, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hello and question about hell Kyro 80 5638 August 11, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Hell and God cant Co-exist. Socratic Meth Head 440 47709 June 22, 2016 at 8:15 am
Last Post: madog
  Sin & Forgiveness miaharun 119 15608 November 16, 2015 at 4:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What the Hell,is Hell anyway? Vern Cliff 31 7090 October 15, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why a heaven and hell couldn't exist. dyresand 16 5534 April 5, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: dyresand
Exclamation Hell and the Play Nice Christian Cinjin 202 31240 February 26, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Since Heaven and Hell are not temporal .. Brakeman 130 25260 December 19, 2014 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.) Strider 25 6818 December 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: abaris