Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 1:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God's Love
RE: God's Love
(June 14, 2020 at 8:47 am)UtilitarianDeist Wrote: God is within us all so when I love myself that is God loving me.

God is within the universe so the universe being happy is just part of God being happy.

God is everywhere.

Without God you can't even make sense of 'good'.

Wut?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
This should be fun. Two theists arguing over who has the most god inside of them.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(June 14, 2020 at 8:47 am)UtilitarianDeist Wrote:
(June 14, 2020 at 8:45 am)Abaddon_ire Wrote: “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”― Edmund Burke

Well, now we know you are not a deist.

Would you care to share what flavour of theist you are?

(June 14, 2020 at 5:12 pm)brewer Wrote:
(June 14, 2020 at 8:47 am)UtilitarianDeist Wrote: God is within us all so when I love myself that is God loving me.

God is within the universe so the universe being happy is just part of God being happy.

God is everywhere.

Wut?

It's the usual theist lie that morality is impossible without god.

Trivially easy to prove wrong, but they keep repeating it.

(June 14, 2020 at 8:47 am)UtilitarianDeist Wrote:
(June 14, 2020 at 8:45 am)Abaddon_ire Wrote: “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”― Edmund Burke

Actually, that is a flat out lie. I can easily make sense of good without any god at all. So can most here.

Your problem is that you can't and you project that disability of yours  onto everyone else.
So can the people who make the claim, and they know that. That's the worst part, aside from it being a variant on calling people sub humans for not believing in their stupid fucking gods.

You know, little shit like that. Seems to me that the implication works a whole lot better the other way, and that claim is a demonstration of that point. Any person who makes it has lost a huge chunk of their credibility as a moral agent, or even a sensible one.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 14, 2020 at 6:02 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: So can the people who make the claim, and they know that.  That's the worst part, aside from it being a variant on calling people sub humans for not believing in their stupid fucking gods.  

You know, little shit like that.  Seems to me that the implication works a whole lot better the other way, and that claim is a demonstration of that point.  Any person who makes it has lost a huge chunk of their credibility as a moral agent, or even a sensible one.

Oh yes. Anyone making that claim is admitting that they would be entirely happy to rape, murder and pillage if an imaginary being was not stopping them. It is far more descriptive of themselves than they have worked out.
He's already told us that rape, murder and pillage must be good, since it happens, and what happens can only be what gods want, and whatever gods want is good.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 14, 2020 at 6:20 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: He's already told us that rape, murder and pillage must be good, since it happens, and what happens can only be what gods want, and whatever gods want is good.

Yep. I am quite willing to debate objective morality with an honest operator. That is not our OP by any measure. We already know he lied about being a deist.

ETA: Although perhaps he actually does not know what a deist really is.
I figure he's just mistaken. He can be mistaken about what term best describes his beliefs in a way that he can't be mistaken about an internal experience common to humanity...unless he simply does not possess such an experience, ofc.

There's a word for that, and it isn't "utilitarian".
(June 14, 2020 at 6:26 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: I figure he's just mistaken.  He can be mistaken about what term best describes his beliefs in a way that he can't be mistaken about an internal experience common to humanity...unless he simply does not possess such an experience, ofc.

There's a word for that, and it isn't "utilitarian".

Could be, but he is absolutly not a deist. Unless he is using some quixotic personal definition that nobody knows but him. He could be a pantheist, panenthiest, but he likely doesn't know what those are either.

Were I pressed to guess, I would suggest a theist that eschews the "normal" churches (if one can call them normal), an uncoventional theist, if you will.

However, there is no way to tell because he ain't saying anything much.

All we do know is that he claims to be a deist, yet his god also informs morality. These are incompatible claims.
He's already touched on this, as well. He doesn't realize that such a state of affairs would be intervention in the sense meaningful to deism and theism.

If I had to guess, he thinks that when people use those terms to communicate the difference between different types of gods, it means something like finding our lost car keys for us. If I wanted to get really specific, and especially given his comments on what must be good and why, he's not just any theist, he's a maltheist. He believes in a god that any competent moral agent would recognize as evil.

Harm amuses his god, and it's in this sense and this sense only that he then decides to call any existent harm "good".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why doesn't God love his enemies? Fake Messiah 16 1366 November 30, 2022 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  If god was love Foxaèr 1 1122 September 28, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Love the Lord your God with all your heart ? Angrboda 144 23676 June 20, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Does God love animals more than humans? Metis 34 7258 June 26, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  General questions about the Christian idea of God and love Mudhammam 148 27325 October 2, 2014 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Tonus
  A question about the love of god Lemonvariable72 84 12884 August 13, 2014 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Brakeman
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12687 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  Why did god give mankind faulty love genes? Brakeman 4 1975 September 20, 2013 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  God does not love you... Drich 132 51681 May 12, 2012 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Epimethean
  Can God love? Greatest I am 76 31142 May 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Godscreated