Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The division between OT worship and NT worship
The division between OT worship and NT worship
A lot of you seem to bring up OT law, commands, and or instances of wrath and ask why Christians do not follow these examples? Some of you even point to Christ's words in Mt 5 where He tells us that "I did not come to abolish the Law but to full fill it." As some sort of binder for the Christian to smash babies against rocks or stone non virgins on their wedding day or whatever the case maybe. So the question is Why do Christians seem get to pick and choose what they adhere to?

The Short answer is that Christians are not OT Jews. (For that matter NT Jews are not OT Jews. Meaning they are not bound by all of the laws and regulations found in the OT.)

Explanation: The OT Law is/was divided up into three parts. The Moral code Which includes the thou shalt not as in the ten commandments.
The Ceremonial law, which dictated how to worship, Who had what role in the temple, what was to be sacrificed and how, Holy days and general observances.
The Civil law. This dictated the day to day life of the OT Jew. It concerned Loans, living arrangements, slaves, food, hygiene and the like.

Because the civil Law, and the Ceremonial law only concern the day to day life and worship of OT Jews (pre sacrifice/atonement of Christ) They do not apply to the NT Christian. Why? Because all of those laws were "full filled" in Christ sacrifice. What does that mean? It means "we" are allowed to be outside the Laws that governed OT Judaism Because all of those laws rules and observances all pictured or pointed to what Christ did for us on the cross. The short answer is that all of those things are still sin, but atonement has covered those sins. Hence "completion of the Law."

So why are we bound to the Moral law? In truth the believer is not.(Or so says Paul in Romans) Not as a means to obtain righteousness anyways. The moral law is the template of what a believers life looks like when it belongs to Christ. In otherwords we do not follow the Law to become believers. The Law follows the life and heart of a true believer. "If you love Christ and the Father, you will Keep their commands."

RE: The division between OT worship and NT worship
Actually, my friend, I've seen more christians invoke OT law than atheists (who probably don't give a shit whether your "law" comes from the OT or the NT).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Making excuses for your fucking god is called apologetics, Drippy. Perhaps you need to ask yourself why your god is so fucking inept that he needs help from the likes of you?

Although I doubt you ever ask yourself those kinds of questions.
Oh, I love it when believers disavow half of their own book. If the OT laws don't apply anymore, please point out where the Babble says this. Otherwise, isn't the Babble the inspired word of "God"? And isn't his word in force unless he tells us otherwise? So if this deity commands us to kill disobedient children or people who work on Sunday, aren't we defying him unless we do so?
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
Galatians 3:13 Thor.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If you only choose to obey the moral law, (i.e the ten commandments) then why do you view homosexuality as a sin?
(May 13, 2012 at 2:12 pm)Thor Wrote: Oh, I love it when believers disavow half of their own book. If the OT laws don't apply anymore, please point out where the Babble says this. Otherwise, isn't the Babble the inspired word of "God"? And isn't his word in force unless he tells us otherwise? So if this deity commands us to kill disobedient children or people who work on Sunday, aren't we defying him unless we do so?
Start here with this whole chapter.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...ersion=CEB
(May 13, 2012 at 2:14 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Galatians 3:13 Thor.

You mean this?

Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us:

So this is saying that OT laws are "a curse"? How can this be? Weren't these laws passed down by "God"? How could anything ordained by "God" be a curse? It makes no sense.

Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
(May 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm)Tobie Wrote: If you only choose to obey the moral law, (i.e the ten commandments) then why do you view homosexuality as a sin?

The moral law includes but is not limited to the ten commandments.

Again 1co 7 defines what marriage is. Samesex marriages are not apart of that defination. Therefore homosexual activity does not have a santified context in which to be found permissiable before God. By that observation it makes all homosexual activity a sin.
Quote:How can this be? Weren't these laws passed down by "God"?

Wait a moment.....don't these shitheads believe that jesus = god?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would they worship a chair? Fake Messiah 20 1485 April 26, 2021 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The ethics of worship Nihilist Virus 42 5196 October 11, 2020 at 12:15 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Christians worship Satan and don't even know it rado84 18 1792 April 15, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The connection between Christianity and Capitalism Cecelia 43 4617 August 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  There is a difference between salvation, and the rewards of Heaven Drich 45 13666 July 31, 2017 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Drich
  Well, shit... Now who are supposed to worship? Cyberman 20 4535 July 5, 2017 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Praise GOD !!!! A Jesus your Vorlon would worship !!!!!! vorlon13 7 1341 April 22, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Similarities Between the Christian God and Abusive Spouses Jesster 18 3205 September 4, 2016 at 11:29 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Do Christians worship a suicide victim? madog 101 11421 July 10, 2016 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Merzer
  Why Would You Worship? Shuffle 75 16486 August 22, 2015 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd