Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
God’s law versus secular law. Which is moral?

Our literature is rife with criticisms of God’s laws denouncing them as immoral. This is mostly done by non-believers and secular law makers and even many believers. The whole world has rejected the morality of God’s law.

Satan shall deceive the whole world. That is scripture.

Believers say that God’s laws are moral; yet very few believers are trying to push for adoption of God’s laws by secular governments.

If believers believed that God’s laws are moral, it follows that they would be trying to have them implemented by governments. Strangely, they do not.

Can a believer believe in God yet not believe in his laws?

No believer is living by God’s law.

If believers believe in God’s laws, should believers be living by them?

Law without punishment is impotent law.

Should believers demand that secular law use God’s punishments where those few laws are basically identical?

Regards
DL
RE: God’s law versus secular law. Which is moral?
Quote:If believers believed that God’s laws are moral, it follows that they would be trying to have them implemented by governments. Strangely, they do not.

Most belivers do not actually abide by their god's rules. Society is secularized today, so most believers recognize that they live in a society where their personal rules have no place in the laws.

Those who do believe in their god's rules (we call them fundamentalists) try really hard to have their rules implemented by governments. And in some country (i.e. Iran) the governments obey.
Greatest I am you sign off with DL. Who is DL or what does it stand for if anything?
(November 15, 2012 at 8:55 am)Greatest I am Wrote: God’s law versus secular law. Which is moral?
Morality is subjective, so in the end it is up to the indivisual to define 'morality.'

Quote:Our literature is rife with criticisms of God’s laws denouncing them as immoral. This is mostly done by non-believers and secular law makers and even many believers. The whole world has rejected the morality of God’s law.

Satan shall deceive the whole world. That is scripture.

Quote:Believers say that God’s laws are moral; yet very few believers are trying to push for adoption of God’s laws by secular governments.
No. Believers (Of the biblical varity) say that God's law is Absolute Righteousness. Morality is Man's attempt at righteousness, or rather it is man's own personal version of righteousness. Christ Identified this personal righteousness as Self righteousness.

That said without also implimenting the attonement aspect of God's law, making His law the law of the land would be a terriable mistake. As witnessed by the Dark Ages.

Quote:If believers believed that God’s laws are moral, it follows that they would be trying to have them implemented by governments. Strangely, they do not.
Because we can not offer the attonement God offers. God's law is also elective. Meaning that believers have already accepted His law to govern their lives, so why would we push to have them dictate our goverments ESPECIALLY, when attonement is not offered by the goverment?

Quote:Can a believer believe in God yet not believe in his laws?
no. We must believe in all of it. This includes the bit on attonement.

Quote:No believer is living by God’s law.
We are not meant to. Otherwise Christ would have never had to die for our sins.

Quote:If believers believe in God’s laws, should believers be living by them?
No. That is legalism. Christ tells us that upon his completeion of the law that no man will be found righteous under it. So we must look to obtaining righteousness apart from the Law.
Paul also tells us we do not live under the law to find righeousness. We live in a state of grace/forgiveness. It is through this attonement that we find the righteousness that can no longer be obtained by living by the law as the OT Jews did.

Quote:Law without punishment is impotent law.
That is why we have Hell.

Quote:Should believers demand that secular law use God’s punishments where those few laws are basically identical?
No. Not undless goverments can also offer God's attonement.

Regards
Drich
[/quote]
Drich, I liked this post of yours. Really. Very well done.
Of course this means I don't expect to read "objective morality" or anything similar in any of your other posts.... Wink
(November 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Drich, I liked this post of yours. Really. Very well done.
Of course this means I don't expect to read "objective morality" or anything similar in any of your other posts.... Wink

I have been 'preaching'Big Grin objective morality since the beginning. I guess if I keep repeating something long enough some of it finally gets through.Tongue
(November 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm)Drich Wrote: I have been 'preaching'Big Grin objective morality since the beginning. I guess if I keep repeating something long enough some of it finally gets through.Tongue

Slavery is objectively moral, then?
Quote:Christ tells us that upon his completeion of the law that no man will be found righteous under it.

Then, it is a worthless law. It is designed specifically to make criminals out of everyone. If God makes rules which he, himself, admits are impossible for men to hold to, what does that say about him?

It says that we are only 'sinners' because God made sure just about every single behavior he programmed into us is a 'sin', with the added fun of making it so that no amount of good behavior, itself, is ever satisfactory to make up for it. Why? So he could extort us with 'forgiveness' (at the risk of eternal torture and punishment, naturally). There you go, ladies and gents, God's 'love' is emotional blackmail.

One of the joys of rejecting Christianity, especially if you were once a victim of it, is of knowing that you don't owe God an apology.
(November 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm)Drich Wrote:
(November 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Drich, I liked this post of yours. Really. Very well done.

I have been 'preaching'Big Grin objective morality since the beginning. I guess if I keep repeating something long enough some of it finally gets through.Tongue

Ok, I take it back... Here I was thinking you had gone above "objective morality", and you come back saying it's all you ever do... Sad
(November 15, 2012 at 1:09 pm)Darkstar Wrote:
(November 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm)Drich Wrote: I have been 'preaching'Big Grin objective morality since the beginning. I guess if I keep repeating something long enough some of it finally gets through.Tongue

Slavery is objectively moral, then?

yes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which version of xtianity is most likely to be correct? FrustratedFool 20 1150 December 8, 2023 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Moral Law LinuxGal 7 546 November 8, 2023 at 8:15 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  which version of christianity is correct? Drich 86 8932 March 30, 2020 at 3:34 am
Last Post: Dundee
  In UK atheists considred more moral than theists. downbeatplumb 254 29266 September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Gospel of Peter versus the Gospel of Matthew. Jehanne 47 5756 July 14, 2018 at 12:22 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Which is the cause, which the effect: religious fundamentalism <=> brain impairment Whateverist 31 5263 March 20, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Travis Walton versus The Resurrection. Jehanne 61 15621 November 29, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Which denominations have you spotted on this forum? Fake Messiah 87 14524 August 19, 2017 at 10:14 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Which Jesus is real? Foxaèr 40 8158 August 9, 2017 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Truth in a story which is entirely dependent upon subjective interpretation Astonished 47 6196 January 10, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet