Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minor Smoking Rant
Minor Smoking Rant
I'm going to post the FB thread that inspired this to shorten the story slightly:

[Image: Smoking1_zps9b91227a.jpg]
[Image: smoking2_zpsd56561d4.jpg]

For those of you who don't know, I'm "Rachel".

Beyond what I already said in the thread, I'd like to explain a few things about allergy sufferers.

Most of us aren't like the yahoos you see who complain about stupid little things and expect others to cater to their whims in order to avoid their own discomfort. Those yahoos are merely the vocal portion of the allergy suffering population, OR, in the case of some poor peanut allergy sufferers, people who have been hung out to dry by the media. (Stories about accommodations made in schools for kids who have extreme nut allergy problems have been particularly vicious).

Most of us are, in fact, quite willing to allow you all to indulge in your favorite foods, vices, and activities without a murmur of complaint. After all, we have our own vices and habits that might be distasteful to you as well.

All that we ask is that you do the decent, humane action, when alerted to it, to minimize the contact between us and the allergen you are bringing in by choice. You are, of course, not obligated to do so.

Most of us don't ask for much. In my case, while the ideal situation would be for my coworkers not to smoke during work hours, the only thing I ask is that they do not smoke in the bathroom out in the warehouse, which is connected by vent to the bathroom and cubicle corral I work in. They shouldn't be smoking in the warehouse anyway, yet some people continue to do it, possibly to hide the extra breaks they are taking. I assiduously avoid situations I know will be smoky in order to allow my friends to indulge their habits. If I make the choice to go outside onto a balcony with other smokers, I understand that is my choice, not theirs, and thus I will have to take my health into my own hands. I do not ask them to put out their cigarettes.

But at work and in some other situations, we are not there by "choice" and it is not fair that you should subject us to something that is not only distasteful, but discomforting in the extreme and sometimes dangerous. Taking a belligerent and unsympathetic attitude towards this only alerts me to the fact that you lack goodwill towards your fellow humans. I don't expect you to know and quit everything and anything that could possibly bother someone...but when you immediately defend your own disgusting habit which could be relegated to some place where it doesn't affect me, you reveal yourself to be an absolute cock.

You see, you don't "NEED" to smoke. I DO need to breathe. And despite that life-affirming fact, I'm not asking you to quit...simply to be more respectful and considerate. It is, perhaps, a mark of how free (or not) a society we really are that we have to bitch about not being allowed to smoke in certain public places for the health reasons of all.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Minor Smoking Rant
Meh, I don't get to smoke in restarunats, the workplace, areas designated as non-smoking, etc. Similarly I don't want to smoke around my children or those folks who are offended or harmed by it. Thankfully the world is a pretty big place, full of little holes and corners where I can go and indulge my habits in without the added worry of how it affects another. Doesn't bother me all that much. Can't jerk my dick in public either, after all.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I do feel sorry for smokers. They are the most openly despised minority in my neck of the woods. They're not allowed to smoke within a block of where I work (thank god). For all the reasons already given, it just shouldn't be done where others are effected - period.

I once -for a short while- had a girl friend who smoked. Not only did her hair reek but kissing her was like licking an ashtray. Barf.
What Rhythm said. But also - not everyone gets satisfied from e-cigs, sadly. I went to a hospital before that had those and it just did not work out. E-cigs are an awesome idea though and it's stupid that places are banning them for the lulz pretty much. And your coworkers who smoke in the warehouse are being douches.
Banning e-cigs? Now that's just busybody bullshit.....
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
E-Cig smoke has been blown straight into my face - it doesn't do a goddamn thing. That's truly asinine to ban those.
Yeah, my old college is banning smoking everywhere (starting this summer or some shit) and at first they included e-cigs in the ban. I think they dropped that one though. I'm pretty sure they are banned in hospitals in Massachusetts, because i was not in mass when i got an e-cig at a hospital. And other shit like that. There have been news stories floating around about it.
David and I have talked about why a lot more people haven't adopted e-cigs and he thinks it's a general ignorance about what they are and what they do, coupled with ignorant media outlets spreading more ignorance. He truly enjoys his, but this may have been coupled with the fact that he quit cold turkey for some months after we started going out and would have continued that way had the e-cigarette not proved a viable option. I suppose his addiction wasn't that strong.
I'd miss my smokes if I went with an E-cig. It's not -just- the nicotine for me..lol.
There's a certain aesthetic to smoking, I won't deny, but dealing with the stink and health issues of smoking far outweighs it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have given up smoking 6 months ago , but ... Megabullshit 95 3580 April 1, 2020 at 6:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Keith Richards Gives Up Smoking! chimp3 7 594 February 19, 2020 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 754 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why should I be ashamed? A rant by a Mexican. J a c k 61 10492 March 20, 2018 at 6:26 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Can I rant for a second, about parents NuclearEnergy 12 2209 December 20, 2016 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: PETE_ROSE
  OP/ED RANT... "You live in your parent's basment" Brian37 59 9539 May 1, 2016 at 6:39 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Minor bender fender, my fault. Brian37 32 3470 December 10, 2015 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health Dystopia 49 9267 October 30, 2015 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Late night rant geckomamasita 1 1264 October 4, 2015 at 3:59 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Rant time The Valkyrie 8 2116 July 8, 2015 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: c172