Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For non-Christians: What would it take?
For non-Christians: What would it take?
I'm just really curious as to what some of the answers are so I'm putting this out there: What would it take for you to believe God is real?
RE: For non-Christians: What would it take?
First and foremost, it would take a real god.
(June 13, 2013 at 1:11 am)Minimalist Wrote: First and foremost, it would take a real god.

What would a real god look like for you?

Or to phrase it better, how would you recognize a real god?
Why not wade through this thread before rehashing stuff that is barely a month old?

http://atheistforums.org/thread-18722.html
(June 13, 2013 at 1:04 am)vangirl23 Wrote: I'm just really curious as to what some of the answers are so I'm putting this out there: What would it take for you to believe God is real?

Fine, here are my conditions. When I wake up tomorrow:
1. Nobody is hungry, all humans have uninhibited access to clean water and proper shelter from the elements, and don't have to prostrate themselves to some thug trading ideology for basic necessities.
2. People respect one another as individuals of the human species; regarless of their place of origin, skin color (or other physical attribute), sexual orientation or number of appendages.
3. People that invoke physical interaction for the means of dispute resolution are immediately vaporized (if you're kinder, we can immediately send them to the middle Anarctica to save a newly planted palm tree).
Re: RE: For non-Christians: What would it take?
(June 13, 2013 at 1:49 am)Minimalist Wrote: Why not wade through this thread before rehashing stuff that is barely a month old?

Different question. The thread you linked is about (independently verifiable) proof of existence (logically impossible) whereas this thread is about 'belief' (logically coherent). Very different.
(June 13, 2013 at 1:04 am)vangirl23 Wrote: I'm just really curious as to what some of the answers are so I'm putting this out there: What would it take for you to believe God is real?

Odds significantly better than one times 10 to the 37th power.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

It would need to act in a way that is distinguishable with its non-existence so that it can't be equated with humans making stuff up. Basically, non-inferentially justified evidence would be nice, instead of the tired old "surrender yourself to Christ, and then he will show himself" which requires us to presuppose a particular god for no apparent reason before we have the credible experience that suggests this god even exists in the first place.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Chloroform.
(June 13, 2013 at 2:08 am)fr0d0 Wrote:
(June 13, 2013 at 1:49 am)Minimalist Wrote: Why not wade through this thread before rehashing stuff that is barely a month old?

Different question. The thread you linked is about (independently verifiable) proof of existence (logically impossible) whereas this thread is about 'belief' (logically coherent). Very different.

Frods....Frods....Frods..... it's the same shit.

It's always the same shit. Even you should know that by now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1221 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question to theists: When to take the bible literally? T.J. 22 1850 November 26, 2021 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why I can't take the Gospels seriously. Jehanne 39 3777 June 18, 2021 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Brian37
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 9191 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] fact finding mission for non-Christians tackattack 52 4299 March 7, 2019 at 7:31 pm
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7835 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Question What would it take? Bow Before Zeus 65 9202 December 15, 2017 at 9:49 am
Last Post: Drich
  Is it possible for someone to take away the judgement from God? verbral 31 4226 November 12, 2016 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  "You, atheists take Bible quotes out of context" mcolafson 61 11431 October 4, 2016 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 18305 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr