Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The war on Christmas
The war on Christmas
First thread. Let me know if it's on the wrong forum.

So I've read about Sarah Palin's book, about the war on Christmas. Not read the book itself because I'm really, really fed up of first world Christians whining about being persecuted and I suspect it would make me cross.

I have a question for you atheist folks.

If I, being a Christian, wished you a happy Christmas, would you be OK with that? Are there any circumstances you would find it offensive?
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
RE: The war on Christmas
I guess it depends on the atheist. I wouldn't give two shits about it cause Christmas has never been anything to do with religion for me. All about the presents!!
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(November 13, 2013 at 10:50 am)Rationalman Wrote: I guess it depends on the atheist. I wouldn't give two shits about it cause Christmas has never been anything to do with religion for me. All about the presents!!
No love for the food?
Sith code
(November 13, 2013 at 10:55 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: No love for the food?

That goes without saying
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(November 13, 2013 at 10:48 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: First thread. Let me know if it's on the wrong forum.

So I've read about Sarah Palin's book, about the war on Christmas. Not read the book itself because I'm really, really fed up of first world Christians whining about being persecuted and I suspect it would make me cross.

I have a question for you atheist folks.

If I, being a Christian, wished you a happy Christmas, would you be OK with that? Are there any circumstances you would find it offensive?

Yes, Christmas has become such a fine mockery of fraud of christianity that we atheists are more than willing to enjoy it, and would take any suggestion that we should enjoy it more in excellent grace.
Ok, I'm new here so I'm not sure where the sarcasm leaves off. Are you saying that because Xmas has nothing to do with Christ you're happy to enjoy it? Or are you saying you're not happy to be wished happy Christmas cos it's not your thing.

Sorry, your grammar is confusing.
Sith code
I wouldn't be offended because to me Christmas is about having a reason to celebrate in the dead of winter, to enjoy family and friends, to give gifts, and yes, to enjoy the good food and wine. All my family still celebrates the religious aspect of it but I don't. To me it's all about all that other pagan stuff which was adopted into the holiday, mainly because Jesus wasn't even born in the winter. Same goes for Easter. I enjoy jellybeans, colored eggs, chocolate bunnies, and pastel colors to celebrate the end of winter and return of spring. None of which has to do with Jesus' supposed resurrection.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Anybody who'd be offended by being wished "merry christmas" is a fucking idiot.

My 2 cents.
I don't give a shit about xmas one way or the other EXCEPT for that miserable, sappy, shitty, music they blare at you in every store because they think it puts shoppers "in the mood." It puts me in the mood to hose down the speaker system with an AK-47.

Other than that, xmas is just a minor irritation and I content myself to remember that it is a stolen pagan holiday so I celebrate the Saturnalia instead.
(November 13, 2013 at 11:22 am)Minimalist Wrote: I don't give a shit about xmas one way or the other EXCEPT for that miserable, sappy, shitty, music they blare at you in every store because they think it puts shoppers "in the mood." It puts me in the mood to hose down the speaker system with an AK-47.

Other than that, xmas is just a minor irritation and I content myself to remember that it is a stolen pagan holiday so I celebrate the Saturnalia instead.

Happy saturnalia!

(November 13, 2013 at 11:21 am)Napoléon Wrote: Anybody who'd be offended by being wished "merry christmas" is a fucking idiot.

My 2 cents.
See this is what I thought too. If someone wished me happy divali, or happy Hanukkah, or anything like it, I'd be pleased by the sentiment. The happy is the key bit, not the festival. Hence my confusion.

Why should a cheery greeting offend someone, irrespective of their views on the origin of that time of year.
Sith code

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Disasters, war, crime, ect ... and Survival. Brian37 19 1635 July 19, 2021 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2339 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Christmas grace Rahn127 5 1280 December 26, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  How are you going to commit to the war on Christmas? Fidel_Castronaut 108 25893 January 4, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  6 day war snerie 6 1155 March 30, 2017 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14699 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw
  Christmas Songs Divinity 45 7821 December 11, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 2 1599 November 19, 2015 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: jeebusmubummed
  Atheist and Christmas MattB 34 5084 November 12, 2015 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus